Introduction and question

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

Introduction and question

Postby rickomatic » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:28 pm

Allow me to introduce myself and to also thank you all for the wealth of knowledge I've already gained from this site.
My name is Rick. I am a 57 year old male living in the Pacific NW, and I am just beginning my journey of knowledge on statin drugs.
I've been on Lipotor 20 mg for about 4 years and up until recently have shown no ill effects. Until 3 weeks ago.
I had an approximately 6 hour Transient Global Amnesia event a couple Friday's ago, and it scared the you know what out of me. While bringing a heavy file cabinet up from out basement I suddenly realized that there was "something wrong" with me, as I couldn't seem to remember firstly why I was bringing the file cabinet up, and secondarily, anything else other than where I was, who I was, and recognition of those around me. Luckily, my 19 year old daughter was home, since her morning college class had been canceled. She called my wife who promptly instructed her to call 911 as it seemed as though I was having possibly a stroke. Upon evaluation by the EMT's I was taken to the hospital for various tests (CT, sonogram of the carotid arteries, MRI, blood work etc. etc. and since an EEG). All proved "normal". I was kept overnight in the hospital for observation and left the next morning. The event began around 10 AM on Friday, and I was completely cognizant by I would say 3 or 4 PM. I was given a medical paper by the attending physician explaining TGA, but nowhere in that literature were statin drugs listed as being a possible causal affect.
Of course once I got home I ran to the internet to better educate myself. One of the places I found was this site, and I must say it was as many here have attested. I knew that I was not alone. Thank God.
They say that "The gallows doth concentrate the mind", and my mind has been very concentrated since the event. I have made a complete and utter change in lifestyle in an effort to ward off any future events. I should also mention that I have been dealing with hypertension for about 5 years, and also was told upon release from the hospital that I was showing "early" signs of diabetes with slightly elevated blood sugar levels. I am to make an appointment with a nutritionist this month.
My lifestyle changes have thus far been these. 1. Eating as healthy of a diet as I can. This includes near complete elimination of table salt, elimination of nearly all processed foods. Elimination of as much "bad" fat as possible. Adding fresh fruits and vegetables to every meal. Staying on an exercise schedule I started a month earlier in preparation of my yearly high mountain hunting trip with my son, of brisk walking 10 minutes 4 times daily. Also beginning to add supplements to my diet. So far only a small dose of CoQ10 twice daily, although I believe I'll up that soon. In the short 2 weeks I've began these changes I've already noticed marked improvements in my health. I have lost close to 10 pounds going from around 210 to 200 on my 5'9" frame. I have a ways to go there, but the initial loss is encouraging. My blood pressure has also dropped from a medicated (Zestoretic sp?) average of 138/88 to a still medicated average of 120/72. Some times even lower.
Thank you all again for the encouragement and education I've gotten here in the past two weeks as a lurker. I intend to learn a lot more.
One question I do have though, and I believe it may be the $64,000 one. How does one locate a sympathetic doctor in regard to all this? My regular doctor is good, but she, while not being condescending, did not want me to go off the Lipitor. I agreed only if I could return in 3 months for new blood work to see what the lifestyle changed did. I would be much happier with a doctor who is sympathetic to our cause, and is willing to work with me on more natural remedies. Anyone in the Seattle area here on the board have any doctor recommendation?
Not to be too repetitive, but thank you all again. Thank you especially Dr. Graveline. I am reading "Lipitor, Thief of Memory" now, and have several more waiting to read.
rickomatic

Postby Brian C. » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:51 pm

Welcome Rick, you have taken an important first step in regaining control over your health. Regarding finding a "good" doctor. Both my doctors, GP (I'm in the UK) and endocrinologist are good people but have been reliant on me (!) for information regarding this issue. There are incredibly few doctors who look beyond what they are told by "higher authority" so the best of luck in your search, you may be one of the lucky ones and find someone who is as clued up as your fellow sufferers who have spent time on this forum.

By the way, what do you understand a "bad fat" to be?
And are you on a low carbohydrate diet yet?

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby rickomatic » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:54 pm

Brian,
Thanks for the response.
I just today finished Dr. Graveline's "Lipotor, Theif of Memory", and Dr. Cohen's book on natural alternatives to statins. I have a couple others to still read, and others still to get. Specifically Dr. McCully's "The Heart Revolution". I will hone my dietary choices and supplementals once I've gleaned more information.
By bad fats, I mean trans fats, or hydrogenated fats. It was with some interest though that I read about Dr. McCully's thoughts on the bad rap some fats have gotten in relation to a healthy diet. As I said, I'm early on in my knowledge journey.
rickomatic

Postby Brian C. » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:57 am

I think good diet can be summed up as "eat close to Nature" :)

You're on the right road now Rick.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby SusieO » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:03 am

Rick the doctor I see who has been the most sympathetic and most of all the most knowledgeable in helping me has been a chiropractor who also uses holistic/wellness in his practice. He is my source for natural supplements, too.

I never dealt with the TGA - my problems are the muscle weakness from head to toe, I do have problems with memory at times but only things like I can't recall a certain word not total blackouts in time.

It sounds to me like you are doing a lot of good for yourself all ready - I wish you all the best!
SusieO

Postby Cat Mom2 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:25 am

Hi rickomatic! Welcome to our club. First off, I haven't yet found a doctor that believes statin drugs can do any harm. They first thing they say is "we need to get you on a statin drug since you are not on one". When I tell them, "been there, done that...NEVER again!".. I get that rolled eye look and a new note is added to my chart. If they do ask why I won't take them, before I get to the third side effect I had, I am cut off... The last time I went to try a new doctor, he told me they have a new class of cholesterol lowering drugs that are not statins and they could put me on one of those.. Yea, right! NO THANKS!

I would love to know what those big pharma reps tell them to have them so darn sold that makes them more believable that US! Big pharma is making idiots out of those doctors and they don't have sense enough to know it..

Since I quit statins (Lipitor) I have lost 45 pounds and lowered mine by eating healthy. The last time I had it checked it was 228, TO LOW for me. I feel best when mine is 250 and that is where I try to keep it. I had went to the doctor because I was feeling really bad, soon as I learned how low it was, I went out and bought a bucket of fried chicken and made a remarkable improvement on how I feel. I have added more fat to my diet now but natural fat, not man made fat.

I talked a man who had a spell of that TGA that scared him to death. In talking to him, he has had many other side effects that he never connected to the Lipitor, like me, he just thought he was growing old and that was what getting old was like. Well, he went right to his doctor and discussed it all and the doctor of coarse, told him it was not side effects of statin drugs and talked him into staying on them. :roll: I find that just because it IS lowering their cholesterol, they say it is doing what it is suppose to do and stay on it. It is a realization they have to have themselves or they won't believe it.
Cat Mom2

Return to Lipitor (atorvastatin)