New user (#151) with Lipitor questions

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Lipitor and its effects.

New user (#151) with Lipitor questions

Postby Bobbi » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:24 pm

Just joined this group and would like to tell my brief story and ask for help since it appears that many of you have gone down this road before:

At age 40 I insisted that my husband, Chuck go in for a physical. He had no apparent health issues, just a preventative physical. All was fine except his chlorestrol was 323 (total). After scaring us to death he was put on Lipitor. I did some research and wanted to try a change in exercise and diet first. So he lost 10 pounds and started exercising. He started taking niacin, omega, flex seed and regular male-one a day vitamin. His next visit 6 months later he was down to 233. Dr. still insisted on Lipitor, so we tried it, apprehensively. He was always "sore" his shoulders and joints mostly. He said he felt "cloudy" sometimes. Finally our sex life was down the tubes, with erectile dysfunction. He told his Dr. at his next visit and she said none of these symtoms were related to Lipitor....after reading some posts (I will spend more time this weekend..reading) I think she is so wrong. He stopped taking the Lipitor last week and already feels better, although he still has erectile dysfunction - will this symptom ever go away? He is very self conscious about it and I don't know what to do. Obviously I love him very much and want to work through this, but he is really struggling. Anyway, the big question, he is going once again to the Dr. on 12/27 - advice on how to handle...new Dr? I need some ammo and suggestions to try and convince her to work with us. Does anyone know of a Dr. in WI that has a clue?
Sorry this is so long,
Bobbi
Bobbi

Postby cardiaccure » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:24 pm

Hello Bobbi,

I just read your posting and understand how you feel. I just posted a reply for another fella in this Lipitor category, I will copy to your message it might help you a lot. I can provide more details if you are interested. Send me a private message if interested.
At least your husband hasnt had a heart attack like I did at age 40, you still have a chance to prevent it. Please see copied below.

I was on Lipitor for off the scale cholesterol levels too, however I had side effect issues and stopped taking it. I have been using vitaminC as a natural statin and it has worked wonderfully. I am Canadian so our cholesterol rating scales are different than your in the U.S. so its hard to compare, but my doctor was all crazy about it. The difference is that I had a heart attack at age 40 and at first very concerned about cholesterol. But the more I read about it the more I became less concerned and went the natural way. I highly suggest you read a book by Dr. Steve Hickey called "Ascorbate", it is very informative and relates to vitaminC as a natural statin, but as a prevention and possible cure for heart disease. Duane Graveline is a believer too, I have talked to him about my condition and he likes what I tell them what vitaminC has done for me.
I dont know if you suffer from angina, or have had a heart attack, I have had both ( I face 6 bypass surgery). But I feel so much better and have reduced my angina by probably 95% by taking from 9 - 12 grams of vitaminC a day. I highly suggest you check into it. I am happy to be more in depth with you if you are interested, it did miracles for me.
P.M. me if you are interested.
Cardiaccure
cardiaccure

Reply for "Bobbi"

Postby sos_group_owner » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:48 pm

Hi Bobbi,

Welcome to the forum.
Sore shoulders, "cloudy" and ED are caused by statins.
And you will need ammo when you return to the doctors.

But first, things that will help to recover.
CoQ10 - start with 100 mg and increase until your husbands starts to notice improvement. Some respond to 100 mg, but my husband took 400 mg for several months before his muscle pain started to subside. He now takes 200 mg for maintenance. The "cloudy" feeling or "foggy thinking"? That is a result of CoQ10 deficiency also.

ED & muscle - L-Glutamine has helped my husband very much. In addition to ED he had muscle atrophy. This was a result of 8 years of statins. Body-builders use L-Glutamine and most of the documentation is on "Muscle" websites. L-Glutamine is also good for brain function. My husband takes 2,000 mg daily.

Dr Graveline has several articles that you might want to print and take to your husband's doctor.

The Warning Signs of Statins [New]
http://www.spacedoc.net/warning_signs_statins.htm

Statins and CoQ10 Deficiency
http://www.spacedoc.net/statins_CoQ10.htm

Libido and Statins
http://www.spacedoc.net/libido_statins.htm

Muscle Pain and Statins
http://www.spacedoc.net/muscle_pain_statins.htm

Forgetfulness, Disorientation, Confusion and Statins
http://www.spacedoc.net/forgetfullness_ ... tatins.htm

Fran
sos_group_owner