What Really Works:

A forum to discuss diet and dietary supplements.

What Really Works:

Postby Kattumaram » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:09 pm

My "cholesterol" levels were 275-326mg/Dl according to the various tests over the years. I paid no attention to it until the "cholesterol"/heart-disease frenzy began about 25 years ago.
I was encourgaged to have a test to see what my number(s) were and that resulted in a reading of 326 and expressions of horror on the physician's face. Diet and exercise resulted in a number of 296, so a statin was prescribed to bring the number down. It did: 210.
Over the years, a decade, I was ritually ingesting 40mg of Zocor that caused me some real health troubles, although I can't prove it. Upon finding the truth about statins and their supposed link to atherosclerosis and its concomitant heart disease I threw a hundred dollars worth fo Zocor down the toilet and tore up the prescription for it. I left the services of the doctor as well.
To shorten an already long story I fell upon research by Dr. Thomas Levy, cardiologist, that, supported by hundreds of clinical tests and references, determined atherosclerosis/heart disease to be caused by chronic vitamin C deficiency.
I set about proving, or not, what Dr. Levy was advancing. I underwent an ultrasonographic examination of my carotid and abdominal aortic arteries to get a baseline of existing atherosclerotic lesions. I then embarked on high-dose vitamin C supplementation. A subsequent examination of my arteries after fifteen months of VC therapy showed no progression of the volume of the lesions. A third sonogram at thirty months indicated similar results: No progression of the volume of the lesions. In addition, at thirty months, the attending technician noted that the thickness of the intima of my carotid arteries was uniformly thicker than it had been with no reduction in the area of the lumen.
So, as far as I am concerned, Dr. Levy is right: Heart disease is caused by chronic vitamin C deficiencey...end of story. :!:
Kattumaram

Postby lars999 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:30 pm

Kattumaram,

I too follow the medical advice and understanding that inadequate vitamin C is a major contributer to cardio-vascular "diseases". Main difference is that I derive that information from Linus Pauling, as is typical for old guys that took chemistry classes that used his textbooks. Linus Pauling was THE CHEMIST to us.

Can you provide a good introductry reference to the "research by Dr. Thomas Levy, cardiologist, that, supported by hundreds of clinical tests and references, determined atherosclerosis/heart disease to be caused by chronic vitamin C deficiency."? I would love to read reports from those clinical trials!! Thank you!!

Lars
lars999

Vitamin C...anti-inflammatory

Postby Nancy W » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:38 am

So, isn't Viamin C and anti-inflammatory, along with Omega 3's and vitamin E?

Makes sense it would help with heart disease since it is related to inflammmation, not cholesterol.
Nancy W

Recommended Reading:

Postby Kattumaram » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:08 am

Dr. Levy's book, "Stopping America's #1 Killer" should be required reading for anyone interested in his health. Another book by the doctor: "Curing the Incurable, Vitamin C, Infectious Diseases and Toxins".
The two publications have ~1800 clinical references to support Dr.Levy's conclusions. Many of the references are from work by the late Dr. Pauling.
BTW: I have no vested interest in either of these publications. I refer to them only as excellent references for the edification of any health advocate.

According to what I have found inflammation is a systemic response to the breakdown of an artery compromised and weakened by chronic vitamin C deficiency. It is a symptom of the problem, not a cause. Notice that atherosclerotic lesions occur only at points of high mechanical stress such as curves and bifurcations, never in a straight run of a vessel or where a vessel penetrates supportive tissue such as heart muscle.

You may also visit this site: www.vitamincfoundation.org, the quintessential source of vitamin C information.
Last edited by Kattumaram on Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kattumaram

Postby David Staup » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:13 am

Nancy,
vitamin C is a powerful antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammitory and antioxidant:

"VFred Klenner, MD, in Reidsville, NC, was using intravenous ascorbic acid (vitamin C) against viruses, serious bacteria and even toxins such as snakebites as early as the 1930's. His patient records showed amazing successes, witnessed by hospital personnel, while most outsiders (who refused to review his data) labeled him a quack"

"http://www.annieappleseedproject.org/fournatanag.html

and

"http://www.vitaminstuff.com/vitamin-c.html

I'm not so sure that the anti-inflammitory effect is not due to the first two functions as it's anti-inflammitory effects seem mainly confined to inflamation due to immune responce.

It is certainly a true natural wonder "drug"
David Staup

Return to Diet and Dietary Supplements