Niacin

A forum to discuss diet and dietary supplements.

Niacin

Postby sheryl » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:39 pm

A few years ago, my husband suffered miserably (memory and cognitive skills) from Lovastatin and then Simvastin. Long story short...took time to regain his memory and cognitive skills. The fog lifted and he got somewhat better. He took, then and now, Co Q 10. Recently, the doctor found out that he had a severe Vitamin D deficiency (after I expressed that although the memory got better, it was always at the same level...no longer improving) and required him to take 3000 IU's a day of Vitamin D. My G-d...what an improvement. Things he had forgotten came rushing back...cognitive ability was totally present.

Two months ago, he suffered from a TIA (Temporary Ischemic Attack). The doctors in the hospital, after learning of his negative experience with Statins and Zetia, decided to have him take Niacin. First he took 250 mg twice a day (2 months)...then it was moved up to 500mg/day...again, twice a day (1 Month).

Here's the thing...since taking the Niacin he seems to have reverted to the Statin side effects...that is lack of cognitive skills and memory problems. I have, today, taken him off all Niacin (it was slow release).

Advice? Suggestions? What to do?
Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks.
sheryl

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:13 pm

Sheryl: I, and many others on the forum can't take Niacin w/out a rush of the old Statin side effects. I expect you will get plenty of responses. This is a fairly common reaction, and I can't for the life of me understand why Dr.s are not getting the word. NASD may be a reasonable alternative, but don't count on it. I suggest you KEEP him off the niacin.

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby sheryl » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:06 am

Thanks for the reply, Brooks.
My husband stopped taking the Niacin yesterday morning. How long for it to get out of his system?

Sheryl
sheryl

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:47 pm

S: It may take a few days. I don't know what the actual (NIACIN) cause/effect is, just that it mimics the old side effect panorama. I would plan for a couple weeks and hope for a day or two. Over the long haul, be prepared for long term improvements and short term declines followed by more improvement - that seems to be the norm with Statin side effect recovery.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby sheryl » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:55 pm

Brooks-

Again, thanks. More or less that was my prediction.

You're totally correct about the "long haul" with statins...he had long term improvements with short term declines. Nice to know (for me) that he's not alone (unfortunately).

Today, the first full day without the niacin and he still has headaches, stomach ache, irregular sleep patterns, and diarrhea. As to the confusion and memory...a little hard to say at the moment, yet...apparently still present.

Sheryl
sheryl

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:32 pm

S: CoQ10 can cause dull headaches, and L-Carnitine can cause diarrhea. Maybe you should cut back on everything for a few days. It is also possible that he has picked up a bug of some sort (virus) that will clear up in a few days. Under statin therapy I had the worst (and only) bout of stomach flu - lasted about a week. Can he eat? Is his appetite good?

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby sheryl » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:57 pm

It's not a "bug" or "virus". Some of the side effects I mentioned are known for niacin...as to eating...he eats pretty well although there are times that he says he's not hungry and therefore he doesn't eat.

By the way, the headache is not dull...not a migraine...just a headache.

Sheryl
sheryl

Postby pops » Mon May 31, 2010 11:28 pm

I got headaches and stomach ache and a flush on niacin. But it didn't hurt me anywhere near as much as lovastatin did. I didn't know niacin can bring back statin side effects. Does that mean that now that I've reacted to a statin, taking niacin will bring out those side effects even though niacin didn't do that to me before?

Additionally, if you see the response to one of my posts from David, it seems he believes that lowering cholesterol doesn't do anything for the prevention of heart disease or stroke. If that's true - and I don't know for sure that it is at this point - then taking niacin might be a waste of time.

Nevertheless, I still consider the possibility that lowering cholesterol does improve the chance of survival from heart disease, and/or offer some protection against same. I personally feel that since lovastatin hurt me terribly, that it's dangerous to lower cholesterol unless you have a good reason to do so, such as when you already have heart disease or have had a stroke, or have atherosclerosis confirmed via angiogram.

When I took time released niacin, though the doctor prescribed 250 mg twice a day, most days I only took it once. And even with that my HDL went up about 10 points, which is excellent. That makes me wonder if your husband can get away with only taking 250 mg per day of time released niacin and avoid the side effects you mentioned.

Obviously you should confer with his doctor for advice on this.

pops
pops

slo niacin

Postby pattyann » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:30 pm

Started slo niacin 500mg 4 days ago and had a flush tonight. Lasted about 30 minutes, had me scared till I figured out what it was. Think I will wait 2 or 3 days and then start 250mg. Sheryl, from your post, I think I will take 250mg once a day for 2 months and see how I do. Did your husband get the wonderful flushing affect? I sure hope I don't get any memory and cognitive effects. I have plenty of problems with that now. There is no doubt that Crestor caused me memory problems. Laid it on to just "getting old". Now, I know it was the Crestor. These wonderful statins have crummy side effects....

PattyAnn
pattyann

New study on Niacin stopped becasue it failed miserably

Postby Nancy W » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:29 pm

Big new study on use of naicin to prevent heart attacks failed miserably and the study was stopped short due to the failure of niacin to be helpful...will have to look up link.
Nancy W

New study on Niacin stopped becasue it failed miserably

Postby pops » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Yeah, but I think the study was done on niacin in addition to a statin. They didn't test niacin against a placebo.

I still think for people without heart disease or demonstrated athero that exercise and good diet - low sat/trans fat, high fruits and veges, lean meat, beans, nuts, whole grains, low fat dairy etc., is the best course of preventive action. In addition to daily moderate exercise of about 30 minutes (assuming you don't have a condition that precludes exercise).

And there's some evidence that managing stress is also helpful.

But I'm not a doc, so I can't prescribe, though these are the things docs used to prescribe before they decided that drugs are the first choice instead of the last resort.

YMMV - your mileage may vary.

pOps
pops

Postby catspajamas » Wed May 01, 2013 7:33 pm

Being a victim of zocor(tried other statins)..I refused to take any of them when dr's said I needed...something!!!!She put me on niaspan 500 with a 5 gr aspirin 1/2 hr before it. the asa keeps you from having the flushes. I also take fish oil and coq10(drs orders). I must say my cholesteral stays around 200, my good cholesterall is slowing getting better. I do fight the higher triglycerides though being I am diabetic. I had to get a eyelid repair as it drooped(side effect of coxor. Had 2 cataract surgeries(statins escalated their growth). Its taken me 10 years since zocor ruined my muscles, and nerves to get fairly back in normal. I have come to the conclusion I will never regain my full muscle strength or get relief from very painful feet.
catspajamas

Return to Diet and Dietary Supplements