Vitamin D and Muscle Energy

A forum to discuss diet and dietary supplements.

Vitamin D and Muscle Energy

Postby rkcannon » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:10 am

There was an article on how low vit D is associated with muscle weakness in girls.
*http://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/Vitamin-D-linked-to-girl-power-Study

Given that most of us apparently are low on D, maybe D supplemention could help the energy loss from statin use. Doses of 10,000 units daily for months are needed to get to optimal levels.
see donaldmiller.com presentation on Vit D, Iodine and Selenium
(iodine is another one commonly lacking and increases energy).
rkcannon

Postby peter s » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:26 pm

I would get your levels tested before taking 10,000 IU per day.
peter s

Postby valgators » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:26 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with Peter. Get your Vitamin D test before you start your own "rehabilitation". My endocrinologist ran the test on me in December 2007. I was very deficient and he put me on 50,000 IU's of Vitamin D3 taken once weekly for 4 months. This requires a prescription. A re-take of the test after 4 months brought me to a barely acceptable level and I continue to supplement (at his direction) but only at 1,000 to 2,000 per day. Better to be safe than sorry!

The test is a simple blood test and can be ordered by a primary doctor.
Good luck.
Valgators
valgators

Postby Biologist » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:28 pm

Factoid:

Lyrica destroyes vitamin D in the body.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Biologist » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:36 pm

You want to be at 30 to 100 ng/ml of blood for the 25-Hydroxy D3 Test (forget about the one for D2). I recently tested at 90 ng/ml. I have been supplementing at about 4,000 IU per day for months. Come summer, I will get it all by the sun.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Dee » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:05 am

I tested at 16.8 on a Vitamin D test in July. After 8 weeks on prescription D2 (50,000 units per week), I tested at 14.9.

At that point I was accused by the nurse that called me with the results of not taking the D2.

Actually having read that D3 may be superior to D2, I HAD taken it faithfully for those 8 weeks as an experiment. But I was extremely surprised at the results, I expected the D levels to raise at least somewhat.

I was then instructed to take the D2 for another 12 weeks and retest. I told the nurse I would be taking the D3 for that time period, and I would be getting it over the counter as D3 is not available by prescription.

After the 12 weeks I retested and my level was 37.2.

I was told to continue with the 50,000 units per week, and will test again on Feb. 19th.
Dee

Postby rkcannon » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:39 am

I also read on vitamindcouncil.org by Dr Cannell (who started the site) that they've found that Vitamin A negates vitamin D! So he now say do not take cod liver oil or vitamin A, but rather the carotenoids. The A/D ratio needed by the body is precise, and taking D3 and caro. allows the body to convert both as needed. D3 is what your skin makes.

They also have a test kit available for about $60.

Anybody notice any improved health after the D levels went up? I seem to have been immune to any illness this year with higher level supplemented. 4-10K. Also I've heard that high D supplements can cause increased calcium absorption. It is common today to take extra calcium, but that to me is a bad idea because the bones need more than just calcium. If the blood is not acid then the calcium stays in the bones. You can take sodium bicarbonate to raise your pH and stop osterporosis I read somewhere (I was a boni fide study). Seems easy enough to do.
rkcannon

Postby valgators » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:01 am

Hi everyone,
To briefly recap my situation, 14 months ago it was discovered I was very low in vitamin D. With prescription Vit D intake, after 4 months, I had gotten to a barely "normal" level. Now I take supplements daily of D3.

Here's my question...everyone says to take plenty of calcium with Vit D.
However, every time I try to take daily calcium I end up with all sorts of stomach issues. The gastro PA told me calcium can be hard on the stomach. I don't do well with the chewable varieties and the big pills or gels apparently upset the stomach.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on this problem?
Thanks. Valgators
valgators

Postby peter s » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:16 am

I am no doctor but I would just take your D and get calcium from the diet.
peter s

Postby rkcannon » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:17 am

I agree, get calcium from diet. Calcium needs magnesium and other minerals to go with it. I also saw a study showing D with calcium resulted in higher levels of placques in the brain. The calcium is probably not metabolized properly because it is isolated. Just like free glutamic acid (msg) is absorbed too rapidly and can overstimulate the neurons resulting in atrophy long term. These are dubbed excitotoxins. Russell Blaylock MD is one good source on this.
rkcannon

Postby rkcannon » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:15 am

I just read the latest Vitamindcouncil.org newsletter and there is a question about statins and vit D- says that vit D reverses muscle inflammation caused by statins.

[quote]Statins deplete coenzyme Q10 levels, which may cause a potentially serious myositis (muscle inflammation) in some patients. Vitamin D reversed this in 92% of the patients. If you take statins, get your 25(OH)D level above 50 ng/mL. If you don't take statins, do the same. [/quote]

here is the ref
*http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19100953

1: Transl Res. 2009 Jan;153(1):11-6. Epub 2008 Dec 6. Links
Low serum 25 (OH) vitamin D levels (<32 ng/mL) are associated with reversible myositis-myalgia in statin-treated patients.
rkcannon

Postby Brian C. » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:38 am

Thank you for that link. I have forwarded it to my endocrinologist, who has a particular interest in Vitamin D.

Brian.
Brian C.

D-3 testing

Postby roaminghermit » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:00 am

Direct labs has special this month (March) for $49 ...and no prescription needed for Now brand 5,000 iu per gelcap, 2 a day brought level up to 50's from low 20's...but it took a few months. Still avoiding a 4th heart attack going on 5th yr now and 6 months no statins...crp is good at 0.54 so maby inflammation is more important than worrying about cholesterol.
roaminghermit

Vit. D pills of little benefit - Dr. McDougall, March 2010

Postby maule5662h » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:09 am

Vit. D pills of little benefit - Dr. McDougall, March 2010

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2010nl/mar/vitd.htm
ENDING:
Pills Are the Last Choice to Raise Vitamin D Levels

Some people are unable or unwilling to get outdoors or unable to afford to use a tanning bed. The elderly and infirm confined to nursing homes, long-term care facilities, and their own homes are at an especially high risk of developing deficiencies. Adequate oral daily supplementation is as little as 200 IU of vitamin D for healthy adults not exposed to sunshine. Darker skinned and elderly people require more. Common recommendations are for 2000 to 4000 IU daily of over-the-counter vitamin D to correct vitamin D blood levels. Signs of vitamin D toxicity appear only after daily doses exceeding 10,000 IU. (1 mcg vitamin D [cholecalciferol] = 40 IU). Vitamin D2 is as effective as vitamin D3 in maintaining circulating concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D (34). Remember the topic of this newsletter: The benefits from taking pills are very limited and there are adverse side effects. The lesson is: Natural is best when it comes to food and sunshine.
------------------
Experts on Vit. D are Dr. Holick and Dr. Sorenson. Read their books, go to their websites.

Dr. Sorenson will be a presenter at Dr. McDougall's Lifestyle Medicine "Advance Study Weekend" in Feb. '11, in Santa Rosa CA. Give yourself a vacation!
------------------
I am lucky and get my D from sunning in my backyard, near Santa Barbara CA! It gets addictive. Started in Nov. '09, tested for first, only, time in April '10 -- level was 43, want above 20 min., above 30 for better results. Note that these were winter months -- when the sun rays are the weakest.
------------------
My 8 years of vegan nutrition experience and eduction materials are at my personal website
http://public.me.com/maule5662h
You can easily download the folder that fills a CD-ROM (700 MB size) to learn from the organized material that I have gathered. The folder is "-1 KsHealthCD-Dec10"
------------------
Happy Holidays! From a 75 year old healthy person taking no drugs, eating an optimal health whole-foods, plant-based diet, and exercising vigorously at the YMCA. A proper "Healthy Lifestyle" works!!
maule5662h

Postby vicki » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:11 pm

My doctor said to have Vit. D3 level at 80 to 100 (medical doctors recommend 30) and should help with the muscle pain. I tested at 30 now, I was at 18. Three doctors told me I should be at 80 to 100. She prescribed 50,000 IU twice a week. Go get tested, On my CLL (cancer forum) they are thinking Vitamin D3 maybe what causes cancer, who knows.
vicki

Return to Diet and Dietary Supplements