Early dementia diagnosed/stop taking drugs

A forum to discuss cholesterol and the meaning of blood cholesterol levels.

Early dementia diagnosed/stop taking drugs

Postby haleybugs » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:02 pm

My mother was recently diagnosed with dementia. I read a chapter in a book about it that all prescription drugs other than ones relating to helping to stall the dementia should be stopped. My mother stopped taking her meds some time ago because she said she felt awful on them and her quality of life had diminished. I agree. She was taking Pravachol, Zetia, Metformin, Gliburide, Citalopram, Aricept and Namenda to name a few (ha). I want her to stay off these drugs and take the vitamins and supplements Dr. Graveline discusses in so many articles. I believe when my mother's cholesterol goes back up and levels off for what is right for her body, her blood sugar may go down too. Her liver won't be searching for reasons to make sugar and when her cholesterol goes up her memory could possibly come back. Am I right about this or just living in a dream world? I really don't even know if my mother had a PET Scan to prove she does have Alzheimer's. Her doctor is an Internist and my mother has not seen a neurologist or geriatric doctor. Should I insist to the Internist to prescribe a PET Scan? Thanks for your help.
haleybugs

Postby SusieO » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:04 pm

I pray your Mother sees some improvement after stopping the meds! Please let us know.
SusieO

Off meds

Postby haleybugs » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:25 pm

Thank you Susie. I sure will let you know. As soon as my mom gets a PET Scan to determine whether or not she even has Alzheimer's, we go on from there. If the scan shows she doesn't have Alzheimer's, I am blaming the Pravachol and it will really hit the fan.
haleybugs

Postby adec » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:41 am

I can only tell you what, I believe, helped my mom's memory. She was diagnosed with the early onset of Alzheimer's. And yet has now almost fully recovered her cognitive abilities, 1.5 years later. FYI, I also refused to allow her to take Namenda or Aricept.

I would investigate and seriously consider Bioperine (as little as 1-2.5mg, when co-administered with of CoQ10 and other vitamins and nutrients, helps to -- in some cases -- greatly increase their bioavailability, ) Cerefolin, Metafolin, or Metanx (gotten through a doctor's prescription, can help lower homocysteine, and further aids in increasing the bioavailability of B vitamins, crosses blood brain barrier) Ginkgo Biloba with Vinpocetine (Dr. Graveline also recommends Vinpocetine, increases circulation and oxygen to the brain, crosses blood brain barrier) Ashwagandha, and Mucuna Pruriens (increases levels of dopamine in the brain.)

Good luck, and please continue to update and share any progress.
adec

Postby Cat Mom2 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:44 am

The nursing homes are full of over medicated people that I am sure would bounce right back to normal if all meds were taken away. My bosses mother is in such bad shape and he will not listen to me when I tell him her meds are her problem. She is diabetic and her sugar bounces alarmingly high to alarmingly low constantly and has to be rushed to the hospital so many times. She has had TGA, been diagnosed with dementia and fits the statin drug side effects to a "T".. She has fell and broken bones, can hardly even walk anymore and has a long list of probelms. His wife is a surgical nurse and he refuses to even conside the possiability that she is being over medicated, saying the doctors know the side effects of all the drugs they prescribe and would not harm her... In the meantime, they are making a fortune off of medicare and medicade from her.
Cat Mom2

Postby Biologist » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:49 am

adec,

You have mentioned Vinpocetine in this post and another one recently. I have been looking into it off and on for several weeks after reading Dr. Graveline's comments found at the following URL (with the applicable text included right below).

http://spacedoc.net/short_term_memory_loss.html

"Strong consideration should be given to the use
of Vinpocetine (aka Cavinton) 5-10 mg twice daily.
This supplement was introduced into clinical practice
in Europe more than two decades ago for its role in
cerebrovascular disorders associated with memory
impairment and related symptoms. Experiments
with vinpocetine indicate that it can dilate blood
vessels, enhance circulation in the brain, improve
oxygen utilization, make red blood cells more pliable,
and inhibit aggregation of platelets. Vinpocetine even
has antioxidant properties. More compelling by far is
the imposing list of references documenting its
benefits. Many products are cited as beneficial in
memory enhancement but very few have the
documentation available for Vinpocetine."
--Dr. Graveline

I plan to order from this location. Note the three hyperlinks lower on the page titled "Related Articles for Vinpocetine" which discuss some research on the supplement.

*http://vrp.com/det/7141.asp?c=1175570535046&k=/vrpsearch.asp&m=/includes/vrp.css&p=no&s=0

Biologist
Biologist

Return to Cholesterol