My Numbers

A forum to discuss cholesterol and the meaning of blood cholesterol levels.

My Numbers

Postby pilot_t » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:45 pm

Hello,

I am a 39 y-o caucasian male, 5'9'' and 155 lb. I exercise on occasions but I do not smoke and have usually healthy eating habits. In June of 2006, I went for a blood test which came as follows:

- Total Cholesterol: 232 mg/dL
- HDL : 32.5
- LDL : 119.1

- Triglycerides : 406

My doctor was very worried, especially about my TG. He says I have a high probability for a heart attack within 10 years. I guess that I could live with the cholesterol numbers but the TG figures worry me as well. My doctor prescribed Crestor 10 mg daily. I have not started yet. I read Dr. Graveline's book and became worried.

Now what should I do? I am taking omega-3 supplement and B complex vitamins. I have reduced my intake of sugars but I guess that I need to improve my diet even more. Should I go for the statins??

many thanks,

Tony.
pilot_t

Reply for Tony

Postby sos_group_owner » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:28 am

Hi Tony & Welcome to the Forum,

Elevated triglycerides can be controlled (for the most part) by diet. Cut way back on carbs, especially the white foods: sugar (biggest offender), flour, bread, rice, potato. Replace with whole grains: buckwheat, spelt, oat & coconut flours; sprouted grain breads, wild and brown rice, sweet potato, whole grain pastas; stevia or sucanat (sweeteners).

Cinnamon (C. cassia) is very effective at lowering triglycerides as well as stabilizing blood sugar levels. Available in most drug stores in 500mg capsules. Take 1 to 3 capsules daily Or 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of the spice isle variety of cinnamon.

Excellent website "all about cinnamon": [http://www.innvista.com/health/herbs/cinnamon.htm]

Omega 3 (fish oil or cod liver oil) lowers VLDL (total triglycerides divided by 5) and triglycerides.
Available in 1,000mg capsules - take 1 to 3 daily.

In addition to the B vitamins and omega 3 fish oil (or cod liver oil), add buffered aspirin - 81 mg (contains beneficial magnesium) and CoQ10 - 100 to 150 mg (gelcaps - NOT powdered) with some Vit E. The combination of all of these is Dr Graveline's recommended 'statin alternative'. B vitamins (to control homocysteine levels) should be in these amounts:
* Folic Acid - 400-800 mcg
* B6 - 80-100 mg
* B12 - 200-250 mcg
http://www.spacedoc.net/statin_alternatives.htm

Adding healthy saturated fats, specifically virgin coconut oil and butter, can increase HDL levels. Regular exercise also helps to increase HDL levels.

You are way too young to start a lifelong course of statins. And if you are a pilot (pilot_t) you definitely DON'T want to take statins.

Statins and the Flyer ( Potential Effect of Statin Drugs on Pilot Performance )
http://www.spacedoc.net/Statins_flyer.html

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby tex62 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:28 pm

Tony,

Our doctor started my husband on Zocor 20 mg when his TC was 200, HDL 41, and LDL 82 and Triglycerides 384. In the following year, his triglycerides dropped to 94 once while he was on a high protein / low carbohydrate diet. During two other tests while not on the diet but on Zocor his triglycerides were 161 and 209. Since Zocor wasn’t getting the triglycerides as low as our doctor wanted, Tricor 145 mg was added to the Zocor. This brought the triglycerides down to 84 while almost disabling my husband. It took almost nine months to make a full recovery after stopping the drugs.

Per Fran’s advise, my husband starting taking 500 mg of cinnamon. For the first time since he started having his cholesterol checked his triglycerides were well within norms at 99.
tex62

Reply for 'tex62'

Postby sos_group_owner » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:19 am

Hi 'tex62',

That is great news! I'm so happy your husband is improving.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby pilot_t » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:09 pm

thank you very much Fran and 'tex62'. Great info! I may have more questions later...

Tony
pilot_t

Return to Cholesterol