Low Cholesterol Levels are bad for everyone

A forum to discuss cholesterol and the meaning of blood cholesterol levels.

Low Cholesterol Levels are bad for everyone

Postby Racerman » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:18 am

I am not an MD, but I do my research. It is my honest belief that we all need certain levels of cholesterol, and the target level for each individual is necessarily different. I believe our bodies regulate how much cholesterol is needed and when.

All of us have different metabolisms and chemical and biological needs and those are probably necessitated by our individual activity and heredity. If our bodies need to produce any certain amount of life sustaining compounds or substances, who are we to argue. Medical science has yet to determine through any means exactly what each persons body needs.

I will not go along with a general concensus from MD's who are eager to jump on the cholesterol band wagen. I trust my body to know what it needs and as a preventative, I take small doses of asprin to reduce any inflamation in my arteries, which as Dr. Graveline suggests is probably the real root of the arteriolsclerosis problems. If I die early from whatever cause, at least I will have had my health including full use of my muscles, memory, etc.[color=darkred][/color][color=darkred][/color]
Racerman

Postby deedee » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:38 am

I too have done a lot of research on statins after my mother took them and got rhabdomyolysis. I was a nurse in a sm rural hospital as well and could pick out which patients were taking statins by hearing their symptoms before I would see the meds they were taking.

I wish I had bookmarked a study I found (on a government site no less) involving cholestrol levels in a VA study. The conclusion was low levels, especially below 100 had a higher mortality rate! This was at the same time it was in the news that the acceptable level was going to be dropped to 100.

If I find the site again, I will be sure to include the source here. I almost think I was doing a patent search on something unrelated and came across it accidently. I have always wondered where they get the "healthy" figures from. Shouldn't normal be what the healthy state is for the majority of the population? Instead we are to believe a large percentage should be taking statins. How did life expectancy improve so much without statins? I worry about the talk of testing children and putting them on these drugs.

Maybe statins are their solution to an impending Social Security, Medicare and VA funding problem (sarcasm intended - as I don't know who "they" are either) :wink:
deedee

Cholesterol- A Non Issue

Postby Realfooddude » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:35 am

Half of the people who have heart attacks have what most would call normal cholesterol. What normal is I don't know nor do I think anyone else knows for sure either. What is normal when you are old or young, male or female, black or white, sick or well? Personally I couldn't care less about cholesterol. By the way let's look at what we are really talking about Lioproteins not just cholesterol. Yes, there is cholesterol in LP's but then again your going to find cholesterol in all animal cells. There is no such thing in nature that as "good" or "bad". A dear is not good and a wolf is not bad. So don't fall for the good and bad cholesterol theory either.

There are many things that can damage you cardiovascular system and LPs is not one of them. It is the opposite cholesterol heals you. I wonder what they would say? Say you walk up to a store front and notice a broken window. As you walk up a cop sees the scene of the crime and without asking good questions arrests you. This is how modern medicine treats the whole lipid hypothesis. Monkeying with lp's is the result of this theory. So Officer am I to understand just because I am at the scene of the crime you are saying I committed it? How many other could have cause this damage? Is it possible that I could even commit this crime? I am a person of interest until you crear me or find enough evidence to charge me. Until then it is just a guess. Yes you will find cholesterol at the site of damage in the arteries of humans but so what. It is everywere in the body.

RFD
Realfooddude

Low cholesterol and low blood pressure

Postby Lucyfur » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:49 pm

My husband and daughter have low cholesterol and low blood pressure. They don't notice symptoms of low cholesterol, just like I don't notice mine being 335. But my husband thinks his low BP effects his ability to concentrate, adds to memory problems and he KNOWS it makes him dizzy when he stands up and causes near loss of conciousness. No doctor will treat this as a problem. He is told the lower the better. I tell him to do what I am told not to do--eat lots of salt.

Anyone have info on this problem?
Lucyfur

Depakote

Postby pgrimm » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:58 am

This is for racerman, or anyone else who is knowledgable in the area of depakote.

I am in the field of mental health. I was in a panel reviewing a case of a patient who has bipolar yesterday. Her symptoms are labile mood and anxiety, her symptoms of delusional thought are clearing up. Where in the past, I would have ignored the blood tests done, I noticed that this patient has a total cholesterol of 100. No one was at all alarmed. In fact, when I pointed this out to the team, they actually laughed, saying that low cholesterol is always known to be a good thing. Fortunately, I have learned much on this website, and now that being in the abnormal range of any blood levels is suspects. The "nurse" responded that "Oh, it says here that medications can reduce blood levels", as if that was the end of it. I have been researchin via the internet and am finding that low cholesterol is related to various mood disorders. I also am finding that the depakote she takes decreases carnitine, which is related to reduced serotonin, causing depression. Wow, I'm a little blown away, that because I have a brush with the side effects of statin drugs, I am becoming educated on the importance of cholesterol, and how psychotropic drugs can cause mood problems, the very thing they're supposed to be helping!

Can anyone shed any more light on this? Do carnitine supplements take care of it? Of course, I don't expect the psychiatrist to be knowledge in this area. They never seem to be, but I'll ask him, just for fun.
pgrimm

Postby cjbrooksjc » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:53 am

P:
FIRST:
Acetyl-L-carnitine and acetyl-L-carnitine arginate are two important nutrients for supporting mitochondrial health and longevity. Acetyl-L-carnitines boost the conversion of fats into energy in the mitochondria, helping to ensure that a plentiful energy supply is available for biochemical processes throughout the body. (Straight L-Carnitine is thought to be more beneficial to muscular mitochondria. Read some of Ray's posts)

!!Because the brain requires abundant energy, these nutrients are especially crucial for peak brain energy and function!!

Beyond their ability to neutralize damaging free radicals, acetyl-L-carnitines have been shown to improve various brain health parameters. As one researcher noted recently, “esters such as acetyl-L-carnitine possess unique neuroprotective, neuromodulatory, and neurotrophic properties which may play an important role in counteracting various disease processes.â€
cjbrooksjc

Return to Cholesterol