Home Cholesterol Tests

A forum to discuss cholesterol and the meaning of blood cholesterol levels.

Home Cholesterol Tests

Postby marie910 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:13 pm

I am a 29 year old female who was prescribed medication for cholesterol. I haven't taken it yet because I'm not so sure that the bloodwork that I had done was accurate. At the time that it was done, I had just miscarried 7 weeks earlier and had started on the birth control pill immediately after. I know that pregnancy and the pill can increase your cholesterol levels and my OB told me not to be tested for a minimum of 3 months after the pregnancy, but the doctor insisted that I go. My level came back at 248. My doctor wanted to immediately put me on Vytorin because I have Type 2 diabetes, I smoke and I have family history. I have never had high cholesterol in my life! I'm planning to quit smoking and have changed my diet drastically. He said that's not good enough. I was eating fast food and eating out twice a day for 2 months before my test, so I expected it to be higher - but since then I have been really good with my diet. A couple of days ago, I took a home test and it showed a level of 162, without fasting. Are these tests accurate? Is this something that I can take back to my doctor and tell him he has reason to re-test me? I really don't want to be on cholesterol medication at the age of 29....
marie910

cholesterol level - what is normal

Postby gotts1936 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:00 pm

Marie910, very few doctors know what a normal cholestrol level is. My home test tells me my current level is 230/240. My doctors blood test say 270/280 level. Nobody seems to know why.
gotts1936

Return to Cholesterol