cramping of hands

A forum to discuss personal experiences of Neuropathy associated with statin drug use.

cramping of hands

Postby Liz » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:45 am

:( :x Hi I am managing the cramps in my legs and feet quiet well with a lower dose statin and 200mgs of Q10 per day plus vitamin E and codliver oil capsule, but am now starting to get slight cramping in my hands whilst useing them such as gripping objects ect, has anyone else had this problem ? regards Liz :(
Liz

Postby carbuffmom » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:29 am

Hi Liz:

I experienced the cramping you are talking about. Several months after the cramping began, my hands began to get weak. Now I have trouble getting tops off of bottles, zipping and buttoning. I have lost muscle in my hands and arms. I took statins for 13 years---have been off about 16 months with no real improvement. One neuro suggested that I may have early symtoms of ALS. I would keep a close watch on your symptoms and maybe get rid of the statin to see if the cramping goes away. Keep us posted. DEB
carbuffmom

Postby SusieO » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:11 am

Hi Liz - I am not sure how low of a dose of statins you are on, but I was given 10 mgs. of Lipitor and cut it back to 5 mgs. and still had problems.

I have been off Lipitor for almost 3 years and I am still suffering from the damage it has caused.

You may want to seriously think about stopping the statin as I still get cramps in my legs and feet to this day.
SusieO

Postby adec » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:45 pm

Liz, yes, my aunt had the same problem. She felt cramping and pain in her right hand. This hand eventually swelled greatly in size, and she had great trouble with gripping strength and mobility. This basically made her somewhat of a cripple. Now approximately 1 year off of 40mg. Lipitor/Mevacor and she has totally regained the use of her hands, through the use of proper supplementation, including CoQ10. Any further questions, feel free to ask.
adec

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:55 pm

Liz: After 3.5 yrs on 40 Mg statins, my fingers and toes would form into some sort of oragami art during the night as I slept. If my wiffe hadn't been in the room and I afraid it would scare her to death, I think I would have cried (you would really have to know me to understand that). Now, 6 months later; on suppliments and off the drug, I get only residual cramping in my back on rare occasion (if I get into certain positions) and not one foot or hand attack in months (I'd say two). It does go away; at least it did for me; knock wood.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby poohhel » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:20 pm

What about the pain... Is there anything besides the supplements that anyone would suggest for masking the pain so I can at least walk and function for 10 days... My hubby and I are going on a European cruise in May that I have been planning for 8 months, before all this crap happened :evil: . It is completely paid for and now I can not get my money back. :x
poohhel

Postby Liz » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:33 pm

[quote="carbuffmom"]Hi Liz:

I experienced the cramping you are talking about. Several months after the cramping began, my hands began to get weak. Now I have trouble getting tops off of bottles, zipping and buttoning. I have lost muscle in my hands and arms. I took statins for 13 years---have been off about 16 months with no real improvement. One neuro suggested that I may have early symtoms of ALS. I would keep a close watch on your symptoms and maybe get rid of the statin to see if the cramping goes away. Keep us posted. DEB[/quote]
:x Hi yes I also have problems with bottle tops ect, I have to take a statin as I have an inhereted cholesterol problem I started with a level of 12 (english ) then came down to 6.7 with Lipotor 20mgs for 15 years, when I stopped the statin I shot up to 9.7 very quickly, I now take 10mgs of Crestor and still follow a very low fat diet, I must say the Q10 200mgs helps a lot but I have to watch how I move my legs and feet as they start to ache then this can lead to a sever cramp, I shall not take a higher level statin even if my Doctor says I must, the evidence against statins is unreal we must learn to take care of our health problems with sites like this one and the people who support each other through it, regards Liz. :)
Liz

Postby SusieO » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:11 pm

Liz ask your doctor for some type of pain pill for relief while on your trip. Also, think about getting a folding cane - I use one when we travel as I can just take it out of my travel bag whenever I need it and it does help a lot.

Most of all enjoy the cruise even if you have to stay on the ship a lot - cruises are lovely!
SusieO

Postby Ray Holder » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:19 am

Has anyone tried a little magnesium for relief of muscle cramps? Magnesium is needed in the muscle operating signalling system to cause the muscle to release at the end of an "ON" period. This has been found useful for cramps in post polios in W Australia, where magnesium is in short supply in normal foods.

Ray
Ray Holder

Return to Neuropathy and Statins