muscle pains

A forum to discuss personal experiences of Neuropathy associated with statin drug use.

muscle pains

Postby tuts1230 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:14 am

i am currently taking q10 100.mg x3,acetyl l-carnitine and l-carnitine 1000mg x 3,600 mg vitamin e .cod liver oil 1000mg and a quarter teaspoon of vitamin c and after 2 weeks have seen no improvement as yet,in fact i feel worse,has anyone any advice please.
tuts1230

Q

Postby Biologist » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:18 pm

tuts1230,

Keep it up.

I went back and read all of your posts.

Pain appears to be a function of muscle damage (which you are treating with L-carnitine, per Ray's advice) and also nerve damage (which you are treating with acetyl-L-carnitine, per Brook's/cjbrooksjc's advice). And BTW, I believe your comment about taking creatine is probably correct for both types of damage and I plan to start taking it myself.

It does take time. After I quit Zocor largely due to Extreme Fatigue and mental haze, my few pain symptoms Got Worse for some weeks thereafter -- maybe six weeks longer. I went from very little pain to significant pain (as the apparent numbness in my shoulder wore off from my last round of weight lifting on low CoQ10 levels -- and the hurting finally began). I no longer really have ANY pain.

I would not recommend any serious exercise for two to three months or longer after quitting statins.

Personally, I take more like 1,000 mg. of C0Q10 and have almost since I quit statins four months ago. I may NOW go back to about 300 mgs which I have been planning to do for some time -- as of recently, I will be adding Idebenone at abut 90 mg.s per day (and adding the creatine). You can Google it if you like or read some recent posts on the subject in the main forum here.

There is a study I will probably be linking to later on today or tomorrow regarding Idebenone. When you get a chance, consider reading some of my posts which hyperlink to some scientific studies and also describe my experiences with quiting. Look for bucho's posts too and Brooks'. There are others also.

When you do start feeling better, do not be surprised if you run into some unexplained setbacks along the way. That's just part of it. Recovery takes many months, but for many or most, it does eventually seem to come.

Stick with it.

You mentioned alcohol in one of your posts. I have found that it may cause a set back for me. But people are different. Something to consider though. If you notice one way or the other, consider posting on your findings on it sometime.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Biologist » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:23 pm

One more comment on the pain that I no longer have. AFTER quiting I had to sleep with extra pillows and even sit on a pillow. And my heals even hurt will lying on my back from the weight of my feet! That all started AFTER I had been off statins for over a month!

It is gone now though.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby mgguy » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:07 pm

I too have had continued and sometimes intensified statin-induced neuropathy (pain/burning in feet and sometimes hands) now 9 weeks after stopping Lovastatin at 20mg for over 3 years. I've notice these symptoms for nearly a year. It is encouraging to know that others have improved after going a long time with no improvement. It IS discouraging to be so long off the drug and still suffer, but it's best to stay positive. And if nothing else works, we can always cut off our feet (ha, ha).
mgguy

Return to Neuropathy and Statins