Ouch! B-Complex hurts.

A forum to discuss personal experiences of Neuropathy associated with statin drug use.

Ouch! B-Complex hurts.

Postby BSGfan » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:19 am

I have been having some jaw and facial burning since July '06 following a Lopid-Mevacor-Niacin interaction.

I have tried Dr. Graveline's statin alternatives, i.e. supplementing with B-complex, but I find it tends to make my facial discomfort worse, but not radically so. The amount of B vitamins is well below what my pharmacist tells me is the level where nerve damage would be produced. When I mentioned to my doctor my symptoms he declared I was taking an overdose of B-Complex and urged me to stop.

My attitude is that if the B-Complex is not producing any additional permanent damage, but is merely mildly uncomfortable, perhaps it would be a good idea for me to continue with the supplementation.

Comments?
BSGfan

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:52 pm

BSGfan: As you may know: vitamin B3 (niacin) can cause some problems of this sort, and B3 is most likely included in your multi-tabs. B Complex vits w/o the B3 are available (B6, B12 Folic Acid); you might try that.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby uncle2blade » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:00 pm

BSGfan, I found the B6 I was taking Produced those same reactions. after I discontinued it took acouple of weeks to resolve.

Best wishes, Craig
uncle2blade

Postby BSGfan » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:27 pm

B-6, Niacin, B-12, and Folic Acid all exacerbate my facial burning, even the tiny amounts present in a fortified snack bar or breakfast cereal. To be more accurate, I notice the problem after eating six snack bars in a row or two or three bowls of raisin bran, so obviously the total amount of B vitamins consumed has something to do with it. This sensitivity only became obvious some 4-6 months ago. Didn't notice any problem with it before then. Eating foods that are naturally high in B vitamins, such as liver, seem to produce far less severe symptoms.
BSGfan

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:27 am

BSGfan: Well, I have to admit to being baffled! It's not the first time. I did; however, respond to your eating six snack bars or three bowls of raisin bran in a row. God only knows what additives there may be in that volume of product, and the fact that other, natural sources (you mentioned liver) don't seem to have the same effect... well, I just, it's just too complex for my faculties to manage. Wish I could be more helpful.

Best,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Return to Neuropathy and Statins