crestor and my blood sugar levels

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Crestor and its side effects.

crestor and my blood sugar levels

Postby justa » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:03 am

I am a type 2 diabetic, who has been doing FAIRLY WELL at controlling her blood sugar levels. Just a couple of weeks ago, my labwork showed my fasting sugar was 6.1 ( in Canada the normal fasting sugars for NON diabetics is 3.3 - 5.8 mmol/L) and my HgA1C was 6.3%, (in Canada, the normal HgA1C level for NON diabetics is 4-6%). I was averaging a fasting blood sugar of 6.3-6.8 daily UNTIL I started on Crestor August 16th.

I started the 10 mg of Crestor daily, with a mid-day dose but was feeling ROTTEN within 2 hr of taking the dose.. sudden excessive FATIGUE, and some mild heart palpitations(the palpitations occurred once) so I was advised by a relative who also takes Crestor, to take the dose at bedtime instead of mid-day, to circumvent the fatigue, (this was his doctor's advice). So I switched to a bedtime dose, which seemed to solve the fatigue problem but now, each morning when I test my fasting blood sugar levels, I have found a noticeable increase in my fasting sugar levels.

they now range between 7.5 - 9.0 mmol/L which I find disturbing as I am used to 6.3 -6.8 mmol/L.
I follow a very regimented dietary plan and don't eat anything after supper nightly, so my fasting times are usually 12 -14 hr duration, and nothing else has changed in my lifestyle except the Crestor prescription.
My LDL level was 3.00 mmol/L (normal LDL in Canada is less than 3.37mmol/L)
so the doctor said he wanted it to be reduced to around 2.00 mmol/L..hence the prescription for Crestor.

I am just wondering if any of you who also have taken Crestor and are diabetics checking your fasting glucose levels, have you noticed an INCREASE in fasting blood sugar levels since starting on the Crestor?

Hoping to hear back from any diabetics who are taking Crestor, or similar statin drugs and who have also noticed an increase in fasting sugar levels. I have found very little data on the internet to verify that such an occurrance does happen.

justa
justa

Postby SusieO » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:16 am

Welcome to the statin board. I am not diabetic, but I am wondering why are you taking a statin when your LDL level is well within the normal range?
SusieO

Postby PAD » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:51 pm

Oh good greif!! Please don't tell me I'm going to have to deal with that too. I am a type 2 diabetic and have had it under control for several years. Can't take Vytorin because of leg pain. DR chanced me to Crestor several days ago. Only 5 mg. With instructions to stop if leg pain returns. Kinda makes me want to stop everything and take my chances with fate.
PAD

Postby Ray Holder » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:12 pm

As Q10 use often reduces sugar levels in type 2 diabetics, it follows that statin use, which reduces body Q10 levels, would have the opposite effect, by worsening insulin production.

Taking Q10 supplementation would seem to be very necessary whether you continue with the statin or not, but do watch your sugar levels carefully, and also your Blood pressure, if you are on meds for that.

Ray
Ray Holder

Return to Crestor (rosuvastatin)