Who is the most powerful of the statins?

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Crestor and its side effects.

Who is the most powerful of the statins?

Postby spacedoc » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:04 pm

Crestor is still the most powerful cholesterol buster but please remember that cholesterol is no longer considered to be relevant to atherosclerosis. Inflammation is the culprit and statins work to reduce cardiovascular risk not by cholesterol manipulation but by a recently recognized powerful anti-inflammatory action. They inhibit nuclear factor kappa B, the major transcription factor for our immuno-defense system. Read my book for details, recommendations and options.
spacedoc

Crestor

Postby daisie26 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:18 pm

I came off Lipitor and still take Niaspan 500mg. Now the doctor ordered up 5 mg of Crestor every other day and Zetia the opposite day. I've heard about Crestor and I started investigating the Net before putting in for the prescription, I called his office to ask questions but still waiting for their reply. emailed Caremark who fills my prescriptions and got an eyeful from them. I searched the net for Crestor and found 3 class action suits against the company and Ralph Nader trying to get the FDA to take it off the market for the dangers of it.
It seems the testor for it was a paid rep. of the company who makes it.
I'm in the middle of this and I don't know what to do.
I've already had the reprocustions of the Lipitor muscles. Now I read that Crestor can cause a disease of the muscles that becomes FATAL.
I need help.
It also says to be sure your doctor is aware if: your family has a history of high cholesterol=yes. if you are a diabetic=yes; if you are taking anyof the niacin based drugs=yes Niaspan which every so often still bothers me terribly. itchy, rash, Heat coming out of my body.
He says that happens and you'll get used to it. How long? I've been on it almost a year.
HE DOESN'T SEEM TO WANT TO LISTEN AND CARE.
This is what he wants me on and that's that.
I asked about Vytorin, Zetia, or going back on Pravachol which I had no problems with back then. He said that isn't strong enough.
DJ
daisie26

Postby SusieO » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:24 pm

What I learned from my Lipitor damage is this; this is my life not the life of any doctors and I am the one who needs to be in charge of what medications offered to me I will or will not take.

Read the facts and then make a decision to take the meds and suffer or stop taking them and hope you will get better.

I will never be bullied in to taking any med just to please a doctor because they tell me to take it.
SusieO

Postby JIMNSC » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:07 am

Amen to that, Susie!

Jim
JIMNSC

Postby harley2ride » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:14 pm

You couldn't pay me enough to ever take a single dose of Crestor again. Read some of my other posts and decide for yourself.
harley2ride

Reply for "daisie26"

Postby sos_group_owner » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:03 pm

Hi Daisie,

Tell your doctor you are more concerned about your "inflammatory markers".
Ask him/her to order these tests:
- Homocysteine
- hs-CRP (High Sensitivity C-Reactive Protein)
- Lp (a) = Lipoprotein (a)

Niacin (including Niaspan) can cause elevated homocysteine. Are you taking B vitamins, especially folic acid, B6 and B12? These 3 B's lower homocysteine. Some also need TMG (Betaine) and zinc to work with the B's.

Niacin flush- some benefit by:
- taking a baby aspirin 1/2 before niacin
- take with applesauce
- take with tomato juice

These three factors, when elevated, indicate "inflammation".
When inflammation is present (from the factors above) they can cause "oxidized" LDL. Oxidized LDL is the problem, not elevated LDL or high cholesterol.

Elevated triglycerides are also a concern. Since you are diabetic, you already know the importance of controlling blood sugar. Simple carbohydrates (white foods - sugar, flour, rice, potato, pasta) can cause trig's to soar. Sugar is the biggest offender. Complex carbs take longer to break down into sugar.

What are your cholesterol numbers?
LDL
HDL
Triglycerides

I think by your login "daisie", you are female. It has not been proven that lowering cholesterol is beneficial for women and the elderly. In fact Most of the clinical trials have been completed using men as the primary participants.

News Article:
Pfizer Is Sued on Allegations It Marketed Lipitor to Groups Not Covered in Clinical Trials
Link:biz.yahoo.com/ap/050928/pfizer_lipitor_lawsuit.html?.v=1

Print the article and take to your next doctor's appointment.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Re: Crestor

Postby clcra » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:15 pm

Daisie26,

Are you taking the 5mg Crestor now. If so, what side effects have you
had.

clcr
clcra

crestor 10mg

Postby Superchic » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:55 pm

I just found this forum today, April 11. I have been on Crestor for about 7 months, most of those 7 months I have not felt well. I complained to the Dr. one time because I had a backache. She gave me some muscle relaxers and some pain pills and told me to come back if it did not improve, then I would have to go to a Pain Management Clinic. They could then possibly put an injection into the spine to relieve the pain, we thought my pain was from the Sciatic nerve. I did not go back, instead I started taking Advil and going to a chiropractor. I still feel achy, have a hard time sleeping and once in a while get aching pains in my hands. I really attributed it to old age, I am 71,but an active 71. Yesterday I saw something on television about Crestor, it was something I caught in passing. I decided to check it out on the internet and found this forum. All the symptoms others are having or have had are what I am having. I will not take Crestor anymore. I have put myself on a cholestrol lowering diet and I do walk about one mile a day. I am convinced I will get better.
Friday I am going back to the Dr. for testing to see what my cholesterol is currently. I am so relieved that there is light at the end of the tunnel.
I need to order the book you speak about, what is it called and can I get it from Amazon? Thanks you so much.
Superchic

Postby tex62 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:18 pm

Superchic,
To order the book, go to the link at the top left of this page called spacedoc.net, then click on "Book Now Available". Also, from spacedoc.net you can scroll down to see a host of articles that Dr. Graveline has written. If you are concerned about your choloserol level you might want to read the articles under the heading "Cardiovascular Disease and Heart Health." As you have time, try to look through all the articles.
I wish you well as you move along your path to recovery.
tex62

Re: Worst Statin

Postby CPMorris » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:45 pm

I too took Crestor for over a year. Last September, I started having some severe problems with throwing up, sugars bottoming out, and terrible intense pain in my legs, arms & lower back. Well, some of this had been going on for a while. First my legs, and I was put on Neuroten for Neuropathy. Then my back, it was suggested that perhaps I needed a firmer matress, so I got a new bed. Then there was the achy joints, must be a viral infection. But then, everything got worse when I started riding a bike for exercise. Suddenly, I was hurting all the time, like I had been beaten. Started waking up in the middle of the night with my sugars bottoming out around 40 on me, and becoming very naseaus, throwing up violently. I went to see me doctor, but had to see his associate as he was out that day. The associate looked over my chart and said, hmmm.. you take Crestor. He then told me that the symptoms I was exhibiting were some of the side effects of Crestor. It had never occured to me. This had been going on for about 8 months. And my doctor never even mentioned it. I'd even had some sever chest pain, for which he sent me to have an CAT scan done. The associate drew blood work that day, but told me to call back in three days to get the results, but to continue taking the medication for now. That day I found this web site. I did go back to the doctor the next Monday, (3 days) with information I had copied from this and other web sites. My doctor scoffed at it. He did take me off the Crestor , and had me start taking CoQ10. I was taking four a day. He tried to put me back on Crestor three months later in a lower dose, and I refused. I was out of work for several weeks due to the pain and weakness I was suffering. He also prescribed Darvocet for pain. Didn't do much though. I had problems at my job because I was out of work, but he would not confirm that the problems I had were due to Crestor , the best he would do was say that there was a possible drug reaction. I do not take Crestor or any other Statin now, I do exercise, I still take CoQ10, and watch what I eat, and oh yea... I have a new doctor.
CPMorris

Postby Kay » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:46 pm

well, bless you all. I don't feel so alone anymore. Wow. This is exactly what I've went through. Bad side affects and about 15 minutes with a doctor who doesn't kow the whole story and they don't listen. I'm so glad to be able to read all of this.

[quote]I will never be bullied in to taking any med just to please a doctor because they tell me to take it.[/quote]

Thank you, Susie. Now, when i talk to my doctor, I have new found courage to just simply be firm.
Kay

Return to Crestor (rosuvastatin)