Just another horror story

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Crestor and its side effects.

Just another horror story

Postby hurting » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:12 pm

Just posted to the Statin site and then saw this one. I am an example of all and I mean all the side effects of Crestor. What to do - what to do. I am also convinced that the doctors are using the side effects of these drugs to warrant unnecessary procedures which don't alleviate the original problems. I can hardly walk - have been taking Crestor for seven months (see Statin post - What to Do). Went off for about a month to see if it was the Crestor making me swell up - then went back on and now I am practically crippled in both legs. Plus numb hands and feet - hair fell out in the beginning - don't give a ___ about anything anymore. But - knew something was wrong - found this website - am changing back to pre surgery me - Blue Green Algae - Athechel. Thank you all for being here and together we can beat this. Any thoughts?
hurting

Reply for "Hurting"

Postby sos_group_owner » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:18 am

Hello Hurting,

You're on the right track stopping Crestor, the most potent statin on the market today. The pain in your muscles is called 'myopathy'.
This JAMA article discusses statin-associated myopathy:
*http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/289/13/1681

The numbness in your hands and feet is called 'peripheral neuropathy'.
These adverse effects and many others are discusses on Dr Beatrice Golomb's "Statin Effects Study" website:
*http://medicine.ucsd.edu/ses/adverse_effects.htm

Omega 3 Fish oil is excellent. There is growing evidence that krill oil is even more effective.
Dr Michael Eades writes a good article about krill and inflammation:
*http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/?p=605
As Dr Mike discusses, some take both forms for maximum benefit.

CoQ10 is essential when trying to recover from statin side effects, as ALL statins cause CoQ10 deficiency.
Statins can also cause carnitine depletion. Some take either L-Carnitine or Acetyl L-Carnitine or both.

When one takes a statin, then stops and restarts the same or a different statin (or dose is increased), there is a greater risk for more severe side effects every time the person is re-challenged.

Listen to your body and definitely get a second or third opinion. If you can find a traditional doctor that specializes in naturopathic medicine, they are more likely to help you than to push more drugs and procedures.

Keep a medical journal of all your drugs and their side effects; supplement (which ones help and which one don't); request copies of all you bloodwork and procedures.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby Cat Mom2 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:49 pm

Thank God I found this place before stopping my statin and I knew better than taking a different brand. First thing my doctor did was pull out the Rx pad and started writting when I told him I quit the one I was on saying "Well, we will try another one!".. I told hime "No we won't! I am done with statins and will not take them again!". He accepted that a lot easier than I thought he would but whenever I go back and have to see another in his practice, the first thing they want to do it a cholesterol test.. I politely decline telling them I trust my body to let me konw what is best for me and it tells me I am doing better with higher cholesterol! I am taking the supplements reccomended here. Still suffering statin damage but otherwise doing great.. meaning no memory problems, acid reflux, gas/bloating, low enerfy, head fog ect...
Cat Mom2

Return to Crestor (rosuvastatin)