Severe leg cramping

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Crestor and its side effects.

Severe leg cramping

Postby shihtzumom » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:34 pm

My husband ended up in the Er on Saturday morning with severe leg cramping, so bad that he couldn't move. I couldn't even touch his legs because of the pain. He laid on the floor for 12 hours before he finally let me call an ambulance. The ER only said he was dehydrated, pumped him full of pain meds, valium, and fluids and sent him home in a wheelchair. I started doing some checking on the internet, and have decided he has a LOT of the symptoms that can be caused by the Crestor which he has been taking, along with Zetia for about a year. A few years ago, he had muscle problems with Lipitor and Zocor and was taken off of them, but the cardiologist put him back on the Zetia and Crestor because he had a heart attack last year which required 2 stents. He has told the doctors about the numbness and tingling in his arms for months now, but none of them thought it had anything to do with the Crestor because his CK tests are normal. Even the hospital did a CK test which was normal, which is why they diagnosed dehydration. He also has very dark urine, restless legs, exercise intolerance, insomnia, dizziness (the last few weeks), extremely tired and has to nap several times a day, weakness, sweating.
We went to the family doctor today with a package of stuff from the internet about Crestor. The doc said to stop the Crestor and Zetia and see what happens and come back in 2 weeks, but he didn't particularly like all my info that I collected. He did accept it though. I wanted it in the records that we suspect the statins.

I also started my husband on CoQ10 120 mg and L-Carnitine. The doc just kind've snickered at that, but I don't care.

He said he saw a cartoon that he wants to hang in all his office rooms. I think it is right on, myself. It is a patient saying..."I have just come for a second opinion. I already diagnosed myself over the internet." Now if I can just remember to say that whenever a doctor asks me what I am there for.
shihtzumom

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:07 pm

Shihtzumom: One of the classic symptoms of renal (kidney) compromise is dark urine output and it is a classic symptom of Statin Associated Rhabdomyolysis which can be deadly if not treated. Please research the term RHABDOMYOLYSIS on the internet and on this site's home page and get help immediately. Personally, I have NO DOUBT the statin drugs he has been taking are taking a BIG toll on him. I AM NOT A DOCTOR but I am a past statin user and have had the terrible cramping episodes you mention as well as the napping and exhaustion (to say the least). It's horrible for him and frightening for you; I know. Send me your email and I'll send you my "sufferer' s history". (It's too long for posting) This medication is POISON for some people; I am one as are many on this site. We are all here for you and, though I've no wish to alarm you, it sounds like your husband may be in serious trouble, and you should seek help from another physician armed with the information you will find here. Also refer to one of our member's sites:

*http://www.talkingstatins.com

and search through the side effects listed there for comparison to the effects your husband may be experiencing.

I will wait to hear from you.

Best Wishes,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

severe leg cramps

Postby shihtzumom » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:27 pm

Thanks for your reply. My email is *shihtzumom1@verizon.net. As of yesterday, my husband is off the Crestor. As of today, he is also off the Zetia per the family doc. Is there something else he should be doing at this point, besides waiting to see if going off the meds helps? I also put him on CoQ10 125 mg and l-carnitine.
The hospital said they did the tests for kidney failure and that he was normal. Is this a test that can be normal and still be a problem, like the Ck test, which was also normal? This is why we are having such a difficult time with doctors accepting that the Crestor can be the problem, because the labs tests don't show kidney problems or muscle wasting.

We asked the family doc if my husband should be going to someone to see if there is any permanent damage, but he said we should wait until he gets the Crestor out of his system first, about 2 weeks.

Any help anyone can give me is very much appreciated. Obviously the doctors are next to useless.

Chrissie aka shihtzumom
shihtzumom

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:10 pm

Chrissie: Thanks, although I understand the implied loyalty and affection, I was fumbling with Shihtzumom. I sent you a rather lengthy email in reply. Also, you should know Crestor is under investigation by the FDA. GOOGLE Crestor on the internet and you'll see.

Many Statin sufferers don't register on CK tests; you'll probably get a few responses of that ilk on this forum. There are other, more telling tests you can have taken (I can't recall just now) to show statin damage - a serum CoQ10 measurement is one; there are others; I'm sure someone will fill in my blanks here. A note to "sos group owner" (one of the forum members) might yield results.

Two weeks huh? Well, I guess that won't hurt, but raise the coQ10 to at least 600 MG daily in three doses - at meals. The Creatine I recommended is for muscle building and can be purchased in powder form and added to juice or something - it's grainy but tasteless.

Best Wishes,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

severe leg cramps

Postby shihtzumom » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:07 pm

Thank you.

And if anyone can site somewhere where I can get info on normal CK tests but still having problems with statins, I'd really appreciate it.
shihtzumom

Postby cjbrooksjc » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:17 am

Crissie: The link below will take you to a site that discusses the CK testing FALSE NEGATIVES reported when the tests were made while under Statin treatment regimen.

*http://www.holisticonline.com/Remedies/Heart/heart_news-statins-and-muscle-damage-sep-2002.htm

Crissie - you will need to remove the leading asterisk * before copying this link to your browser. I think you will find what you are looking for here.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Ray Holder » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:29 am

Hi Chrissie
If you go to Spacedoc homepage, you will find a subject " Muscle pains without elevated CK", or something similar, and there is a page devoted to the subject.

Normal CK is in the region of 100 to 200. For statin damage purposes, the figure of under 10 times normal is taken to be satisfactory by the medics, but I had serious leg muscle wastage at a figure of 500. A more satisfactory test may be the carnitine level test, often only available at pediatric hospital labs, as deficiency can be fatal to newborns, with Carnitor available to be prescribed to supplement it. The statin induced deficiency is unlikely to be recognised, but many have found its correction with the supplement indispensible, my CK rises to 500 after a few days without it.
The effects of Crestor will last much longer than 2 weeks, I continued to get worse for 14 months after ceasing zocor, until I found Q10 and carnitine.
It is all very well for the doctor to snigger at the Q10 and carnitine supplements, the inhibition of Q10 was known to Merck in 1990, when they got a patent to include Q10 in statin packs to overcome the problem, but never implemented it, and the world was left to suffer the consequences. The consequent loss of carnitine production is due to the loss of energy supply via Q10 to its manufacturing process in the body, something not envisaged in the trials and drug info packs.

Remember, the research leading up to statin use has been to provide a profitable product, and uncomfortable side effects get swept under the mat, often not being counted or recognised at the time.

Keep up the pressure on your doc, the info given to him by the drug companies is not the full story, and he needs to be educated into what happens in the real world.

The Vit B6, B12, and folic acid supplements may be helpful to avoid further heart problems, or a reduction to a very low statin dose of about 2.5 mg, as in the new page issued by spacedoc this last week.

Hoping your husband improves

Ray
Ray Holder

severe leg cramps

Postby shihtzumom » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:53 am

Thank you so much for your response. I truly appreciate all the great information I am getting from this board.
shihtzumom

Postby SusieO » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:05 pm

Chrissie my family doctor (who did not put me on a statin) keeps asking me if I have "cola" colored urine and if I do to call him immediately because that is a certain sign of rhabdomylosis and kidney problems.

Push water/fluids in to your hubby - my family doctor said this is greatly needed to flush out the bad toxins from the statins.

My heart doctor suggested I see an Endocrinologist - so far I haven't done this as I am so tired of going from one doctor to another who just tells me "you stopped the statin you should be fine now". This may be something to look in to for your hubby as well as a muscle biopsy!

I wish you both all the best!
SusieO

Postby cjbrooksjc » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Chrissie: Is you husband getting lipid blood tests on a regualr basis? It is standard fare while taking statins and checks for liver impairment (not uncommon with statins, actually one of the commonly recognised side effects of statin use). Liver damage can also cause dark urine, ala Jaundice. Is your husband's color OK or does he look a little jaundiced (sallow or yellow)?

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Return to Crestor (rosuvastatin)