Crestor and the elderly

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Crestor and its side effects.

Crestor and the elderly

Postby retuckerja » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:16 pm

Has anyone heard of medical Dr's who suggest that the elderly should NOT be on statin drugs? My father is 88, has a bad heart, low kidney function due to prolonged type II diabetes and Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CCL) but his Medical professionals have him taking Crestor. This seems to be terribly poor judgment, but he trusts his doctor. Any suggestions other than firing the Doctor?
retuckerja

Postby starfish » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:46 pm

Hi Retuckerja. I hope you can convince your dad to stop taking Crestor. I only took Crestor for 3 weeks. 11 months after stopping the meds, I continue to have severe disabling muscle and nerve pain.

My cousin is a nurse who used to work in a nursing home. She said whenever new patients were placed in their facility, they always checked their medication list. If Crestor was on the list, they contacted the patient’s doctor to stop or change the medication.

Cardiologist Dr. Beatrice Golomb is conducting a Statin Side Effects Study funded by the National Institutes of Health. Read her findings cautioning about giving statins to the elderly in the link below.

[http://medicine.ucsd.edu/SES/statin_information.htm]

Good luck.
starfish

Postby tex62 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:59 pm

Retuckerja,
Please read this article “Statin Adverse Effects: Implications for the Elderly” that was published in the Geriatric Times by Dr. Golomb [http://www.geriatrictimes.com/g040618.html]
tex62

Crestor and the elderly

Postby retuckerja » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:24 pm

I'm hoping the information at the links provided will convince my father to quit taking Crestor. He has been complaining for months of lack of strenth and stamina and now his kidney function is so low that he is on medication for that problem. Thank you Starfish and Tex62.
retuckerja
retuckerja

Postby roaminghermit » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:13 pm

I'm getting kidney's checked after just a couple weeks on crestor not taking any statins now....
roaminghermit

Return to Crestor (rosuvastatin)