A Crestor Story

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Crestor and its side effects.

A Crestor Story

Postby anvilhead » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:15 pm

CRESTOR

Took 2.5 mg every other day from about May – Sept 2006 (about 5 months). Last pill was taken on 18 Sept 2006.

Took Vytorin for about 3 weeks just prior to Crestor – quit – LOT of muscle pain.

Took Niaspan ER for about 6 months before Vytorin – did not help cholesterol.

Took Tricor (Fibrate) for about 5 years prior to Niaspan – It helped cholesterol some, not a lot.

CRESTOR

First couple of months, not too bad – some muscle pain, but I expected that.

Last 3 months (July-Aug-Sept)
 Constant muscle and joint pain in arms, back, shoulders, legs, wrists, ankles, neck – basically all over. Pain getting progressively worse.
 Generally non-stop “sickly” feeling
 Extremely tired all the time – just want to sleep 12 hours a day – near exhaustion – legs feel like they weigh a ton
 Loss of all ambition, incentive, drive – too tired to care
 Hands, forearms, feet – numbness, tingling – frequent to constant
 Very sensitive skin on upper legs/thighs – burning sensation – sensitive to touch
 Blurred vision on occasion and becoming more frequent
 Short term memory loss, forgetfulness, mild disorientation/confusion
 Occasional “jerking” reflex of whole body
 Occasional dark urine which smelled really bad (ammonia like smell)

By the 4th day after stopping CRESTOR, I was starting to feel a little better.

On the 5th day, I felt great. Most pain was gone. Still some numbness/tingling hands, but not as bad as was. Energy levels are returning. Mind is alert and interested again. A bit “hyper” – more energy than I have been used to I guess.

By the 8th day, I am about back to normal. Still some numbness in hands – less frequent now.

12th day – Everything seems normal now except still some occasional numbness in hands and less occasionally in forearms – getting less and less frequent and not as bad as when I was on the CRESTOR. No dark urine since quit the pill.

Hopefully, no lasting damage was done – I’m finished with cholesterol medications!!!!!
anvilhead

Postby Darrell » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:39 pm

I love happy endings.
Darrell

Postby justright » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:39 am

I can relate to your post, especially with the sick feeling. I thought I had the flu. On Saturday, I did not get out of bed until 300 in the afternoon and that was only to go to the store. I also have been feeling depressed during my Crestor 3 month journey.

It was so odd, because I felt no side effects until right around the 90 day mark and the nausea, fatique, shooting pain in my neck and depression just zapped me.

I stopped yesterday and feel better except I am so tired today. I called my doctor, and he did not think I could be feeling better, that is was psychological, because of the half life of the drug....This is NOT psychological.

Quite frankly, I am terrified to go on another. My cholesterol was 230 which is bad, but not horrific. Maybe I will look at some alternatives. I see my doc next week. :idea:
justright

Postby Cat Mom2 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:38 am

You sound like the poster child for statin side effects! You have tried them and know what they do, why try anymore? You will have the same effects or worse on another and guess what! The problem is NOT in your head, the problem is in the drugs!

I took myself off of the stuff and my doctor is so concerned about me now because I won't even let him do blood work anymore. I told him the way I feel tells me I must need more cholesterol than a number some stranger picked for my body since I am feeling more like my old self and am able to function again. My doctor also thinks I have a few loose screws now but I don't care what he thinks.

I will be SO glad when they wake up to what this stuff does to people!
Cat Mom2

Postby poohhel » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:43 pm

I have been off Vytorin for 3 months now...still not feeling much better except that I am not as tired every day. I do still have my days that all I want to do is sleep but that usually only happens after I have pushed myself too much.

I am still having numbness/tingling/and pains in my shoulders, arms, hands, butt, legs, feet and my back aches all the time. I recently started physical therapy for "pinched nerves" in my neck and back and carpal tunnel syndrome in my left hand. I had a spinal MRI last Monday will get results next week.

I saw a cardiologists about the burning and severe pain I get during exertion/exercise and he suspects claudication or microvasculitis... I am scheduled for an ABI w/exercise on July 2nd. However, when I mentioned to him that I had been on Vytorin, he asked me when I started the meds and then when I started having the problems? He then asked if I had noted any improvement since stopping; which unfortunately I have not. . . but I told him I was not taking it anymore and I blamed it for most of my problems.

I don't know if he agreed or not...he didn't say... but when I said Vytorin and that this is when everything started... he was shaking his head yes and had a smirk on his face.
poohhel

Reply for Helen

Postby sos_group_owner » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:52 pm

Hello Helen,

It's a know fact that statins cause 'exercise intolerance', even after the drug is stopped. Stopping the drug does NOT always stop the pain (or damage caused by the statin).

Did your cardiologist order a CK or CPK blood test?
This is the 1st test any doctor should order when a patient complains of muscle pain from any statin drug. The CK/CPK test can come back normal but there is still muscle damage. A muscle biopsy would be required to prove muscle damage.

Please read and print this article by Dr Paul Phillips of Scripps Mercy Hosp in San Diego, CA - lots of experience with statin damage...
*http://www.impostertrial.com/physician.htm

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby poohhel » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:02 pm

Thanks Fran. I have read and printed the article... I will take it with me to the doctor on July 2nd. As far as CK or CPK blood test, I just had that done with a lot of other things. I will get results on the 2nd of July as well.
poohhel

Return to Crestor (rosuvastatin)