Spacedoc - opinion please!

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Crestor and its side effects.

Spacedoc - opinion please!

Postby JIMNSC » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:42 pm

The news is filled about new studies that have found Crestor lowers the bad, raises the good and even removes plaque at high dosages (40mg). JAMA is cited. I've read more than once how things can make print without really meeting a valid litmus test. It appears that the timing of these findings is excellent and they are appearing just when needed as multitudes are discovering the problems associated with statin drugs. Of course, they were careful to mention side effects.

Any opinion?
JIMNSC

JIMNSC

Postby sos_group_owner » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:59 am

Hi "JIMNSC",

You might want to email Dr Graveline directly and post his reply to the forum.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Why bother?

Postby catamaran » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:08 pm

:? The little two-second disclaimer that appears at the bottom, left-hand side of the TV screen during an advert for Crestor should have one ask, when considering statin therapy, "Why bother?" The disclaimer says that "this product has not been shown to cure or prevent heart disease"!!

Err....I thought that's what statins were all about!

Some one said a long, long, long...long time ago something to this effect: A lie from officials sources repeated often enough becomes fact in the public mind. I knew our politicians had long ago learned to exploit that foible in the human character, but I never expected our medical and pharmaceutical entities to practice the scheme as well! :x
catamaran

Postby CatMom » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:47 pm

[quote]Err....I thought that's what statins were all about! [/quote]

Crestors web sight says it and the Niasin's web sight says .... '
"NIASPAN has not been shown to prevent the development of heart disease."

I am going to watch all the rest of them because sooner or later, they ALL will be saying that...
CatMom

Irresponsibilities:

Postby catamaran » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:07 pm

I drive my wife crazy whenever an advert for statins is displayed on the tele....she's is annoyed by my grumbling "tantamount to criminal negligence" and other less-than-complementary comments about drug companies peddling statin snake oil.

The pharmaceutical companies have millions invested in FDA approval of statins, but I should think by now, after taking in over 30 billion dollars in statin sales, that the cost of that investment would have been long amortized. Instead, the companies are turning themselves inside-out in contortions of logic to justify continuing sales of what I consider useless and dangerous drugs. :x
catamaran

Another issue is "expanded" use

Postby sos_group_owner » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:02 pm

Hello Forum,

Another problem is that Big Pharma is trying to expand the use of statins saying they prevent a first stroke, Alzheimer's/dementia, cataracts, cancer, cardiovascular disease and fractures, when in reality they probably CAUSE these conditions and diseases. The Data from clinical trials is so tainted, it's difficult to believe anything they say now.

Re: JAMA cited studies. Prestigious journals are now pushing drugs. The online version of the New England Journal of Medicine - right at the top of the page - every issue now has an ADVERTISEMENT, plugging a different drug.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Big pharma and advertising:

Postby catamaran » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:21 pm

The difficulty began when the regulations that prevented drug companies to direct-advertise were lifted.

Hordes of hypochondriacs with insurance plans and Medicare cards in tightly clenched fists flood the doctors' offices reciting the mantra I have come to detest, "....ask you doctor if XXXXX is right for you."

It's a good thing I take plenty of vitamin C to keep my blood-pressure under control! 8)
catamaran

Return to Crestor (rosuvastatin)