hair loss

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Crestor and its side effects.

hair loss

Postby inch » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:48 pm

I took Zocor for a year and a half total. Into about the eighth month I noticed my hair thinning, I am female, 53. I stopped taking it without telling my Dr. because I have come across mentions of this side effect. Since it was the only new drug I was taking, I thought it more than just a coincidence that this was occuring. Of course, now that I am very much more educated on hair loss, I realize that for the time I stopped Zocor (3 months), it was not nearly sufficient time for me to know if it was the cause. My cholesterol shot way up again, and I have now been on Crestor for 7 months. I have been treating the hairloss with various things, with no success. In fact, it is getting worse. I have spoken with others, via a hair loss forum, and some complain about the same side effect.
Other than the depression I have been experiencing, the fatigue and muscle aches in my neck and back, which are most definitely getting worse, the hair loss is most concerning to me. I have again taken it upon myself to stop the Crestor.
Have any of you heard of this side effect as well?
I refuse to continue any statins in the future but am curious as to what my options are. Diet does not work, my high cholesterol is hereditary.
I'd really appreciate any and all information. Thanks!
inch

Reply for "Inch"

Postby sos_group_owner » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:45 pm

Hi Inch,

Please read Dr Graveline's article at this link:
The Great Cholesterol Myth
http://www.spacedoc.net/cholesterol_scam.html

It's not high cholesterol that is the problem, it's
inflammation. Cholesterol lowering has not been proven
to benefit women, but doctors continue to insist that
women takes these dangerous drugs.

What are your cholesterol numbers?
HDL
LDL
Triglycerides

Total cholesterol does not tell the whole story.

Hair loss can occur due to hormone imbalance and statins
do affect our hormones.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby Kay » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:00 pm

About six years or so ago when I did everything the doctor said without questioning, I took Zocor. I also noticed thinning hair. I didn't take it for very long. I was terribly depressed also.
Boron, Magnesium, Borage Oil and Flax seed, (Omega 3/6) helped restore my hair to its thickness. I'm 56.
Kay

Postby shadoww » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:21 am

[quote="Kay"]About six years or so ago when I did everything the doctor said without questioning, I took Zocor. I also noticed thinning hair. I didn't take it for very long. I was terribly depressed also.
Boron, Magnesium, Borage Oil and Flax seed, (Omega 3/6) helped restore my hair to its thickness. I'm 56.[/quote]

Hi Kay. I was on Zocor for years then was changed to Vytorin and then Lipitor for short periods each. Now I'm not taking any statins at all for the past couple of weeks. My muscles are so bad that I took myself off of Tricor, Lipitor and Fosamax. But I've also had badly thinning hair too and can totally sympathize. I've been using the men's Rogaine for the past couple of years. Although nothing really seems to stop it or slow it down. It is very depressing, I'm don't consider myself "old" at 59 but now combined with my body/muscle aches and hairloss, I'm at my wits end.

I've never heard of Boron or Borage Oil. I already use Flax seed and the fish oil.
shadoww

Postby Esmeralda » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:01 pm

Eighteen days on Crestor fried the hair on the right side of my head, as well as causing extreme pain in the ligaments and tendons around my right knee; there is also swelling in the right thigh.

I started taking the GNC formula for hair, skin, and nails. I don't know if it worked or if just giving my body time to rid itself of the ill effects of the Crestor did the trick.

My hairdresser recommended Vitamin-B Complex today. She cut off a good one inch of hair just to be rid of the fried hair. It was a big improvement.

I will confess that I have been taking large doses of Vitamin C daily for the past week, based on Linus Pauling's experience and research. It has made a difference in my sinuses and some pesky skin rashes that had been chronic problems. I am hopeful that it will also take care of the Crestor side effects.

Good luck to you.
Esmeralda

Return to Crestor (rosuvastatin)