Crestor vs Vytorin

A message board to discuss personal experiences of Crestor and its side effects.

Crestor vs Vytorin

Postby PAD » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:42 pm

I was on Vytorin. It zapped my chlolesterol back to a normal rate. But I had the dreaded muscle pain and weakness. I finally convinced my GP that I needed to get off the statin. I did in October. The muscle pain and most of the weakness went away. But my cholesterol went up to over 700. Not good. In addition I have put on about 20 lbs. this past year. Probably because of lack of exercise and the addition of Lyrica. I am diabetic type 2 (under control with med) have slight high blood pressure (under control with med). Slight neuropathy in feet and legs. I am taking fish oil and a multivitamin in addition to my regular meds. Several days ago my GP put me on a very small dose of Crestor with the instructions that if the leg pain came back to stop taking it and call him. I am already on a very good diet, partly because of the diabetes and partly because I like to eat healthy and need to loose weight. I am very frustrated and depressed because I don't know what else to do. Anybody with any suggestions please respond. Thanks for your help...Pat
PAD

Postby PAD » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:33 pm

Correction...My cholesterol was 402. The TG was 797.. What's worse? Pat
PAD

Postby adec » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:52 am

I just sent you a message on this topic. Check your e-mail.
adec

Postby Gayles57 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:22 pm

Pat:

I read these forums but very seldom post. With TGs that high you are consuming way to much sugar ( its hidden in a lot of low fat and white foods). You maybe eating the recommended ADA diet but is it correct? I suggest that you get a copy of "The Schwarzbein Principle". She is an Endocrinologist that in treating diabetics found the recommended heart healthy low fat diet may not be as good as claimed. You can find the book as well as it sequels at Barnes and Noble or on line.

Here is her web site:

*http://www.schwarzbeinprinciple.com/pgs/home.html

Regards

Gayle
Gayles57

Postby PAD » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:37 pm

Thanks, Gayle. I'll look for the book. My A1c is 5.7 and blood sugar levels around 110. I've been on a low carb no sugar diet for about 4 years. I don't eat white anything except a little rice or baked potato now and then. I like the wheat bread and cereals. Oatmeal's great. Low fat milk. I don't fry anything unless it's in a little bit of olive oil. But you are right. Most low fat foods on the market are higher in carbs. I think they have to make up the taste somehow. I am off the statins for good and am taking the recommended supplements to help. Am starting a walking program next week with a friend. Hope the knees hold up. Thanks for the help...Pat
PAD

Return to Crestor (rosuvastatin)