Statins and their impact on Triglycerides & Glucose

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Statins and their impact on Triglycerides & Glucose

Postby djk0811 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:28 pm

:?:

I have my first set of labs back and have a question about how statins (I was on Vytorin 10/40 and Sythroid 100mcg. for 77 days) impact your labs.

I did nothing but add these two drugs in June 2007 and saw the following:

Triglycerides: 187 in June, now 191 in September
Glucose: 70 in June, now 108 in September

all other test results look good and in the "normal" range for a 43 year old male.

If statins impact these labs, will they come back down now that I am off them?

After 77 days I am in pain, depressed and suffering from anxiety. I hope I don't need to add pre-diabetic to the list. Due to pain and loss of energy, I have stopped going to the gym. I hate this and know it will create negative changes in my labs in the future.

I stopped the med's 7 days ago and have seen some improvement. I am taking fish oil, CQ10 and just added L-Carnitine.

When I told my doc I had stopped the med's, he was OK with it and said that he would expect the side-effects to clear in 30-60 days. I just want to get back to normal, I worked hard at the gym and want to get back. I'm just affraid to rush in and further damage myself.

Thanks to those you have responded and e-mailed me. Your help and advise has been blessing and a great help.
djk0811

Postby catspajamas » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:09 pm

:x My triglcerides and bl sugar went up too when I was on zocor...I just thought it was because we have diabetes in the family and I would probably be diabetic sooner or later. The Doc kept a watch on it and my triglcerides and sugar came back to normal after I was off of statins for a year...I bet if I would of stayed on them I would of ended up a diabetic and had to take "yet another pill that is dangerous"....No wonder the drug companies are rich..they make one med that leads you to taking 4 or 5 more...
catspajamas

Postby vipergg22 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:00 am

[quote="catspajamas"]:x My triglcerides and bl sugar went up too when I was on zocor...I just thought it was because we have diabetes in the family and I would probably be diabetic sooner or later. The Doc kept a watch on it and my triglcerides and sugar came back to normal after I was off of statins for a year...I bet if I would of stayed on them I would of ended up a diabetic and had to take "yet another pill that is dangerous"....No wonder the drug companies are rich..they make one med that leads you to taking 4 or 5 more...[/quote]

You say that with tongue in cheek but I bet the pharms know this when they develop these things . Lets face it taking statins leads to big increase in sales for pain relievers at the very least....
vipergg22

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs