TriCor

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

TriCor

Postby Patty » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:26 pm

I was on 40 mg. of Zocor for two years when I developed leg pain and weakness.

I was put on Zetia, which didn't relieve the problem.

Then I was put on 48 mg. of TriCor for a month and I experienced no pain, but there was no change in the cholesterol levels, so it was increased to 145 mg. last week.

Have any of you been on TriCor?

I can be pain free if I don't extend my legs for a long period of time. When drove to see my Dr. last week, with a two hour round trip, the pain returned.

The next day I was hobbling around. Do any of you experience these same side effects?

I understand that TriCor is a very expensive drug, and the pharmacy at my military base will no longer be dispensing it, so I will have to pay the co-pay. Not a problem if it works.

Any feedback you can give me would be helpful. Thanks.
Patty

Postby Esmeralda » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:50 pm

My first experience with statins was Crestor for 18 days in May, 2006. Swollen right leg after 8 days, then pain in the ligaments and tendons. Finally excruciating pain of the ligaments and tendons around the swollen right knee on day 18. The pain was so bad I could barely walk--literally hobbled into the doctor's office. Negative blood work and knee x-rays ; yet, to this day, he denies that Crestor had anything to do with it.

In January, 2007, I let him talk me into taking Tricor. After 1 week, I noticed my right leg swelling up. Stopped the Tricor immediately. Took a couple of months for the swelling to subside. I am just now getting over the side effects of the Crestor, after over 12 months. Last June, he wrote me a prescription for Pravachol, which I did not fill.

I watch my diet, exercise, take my folic acid, B-12, and B-6, my vitamin C cocktail, and 3 T ground flaxseed. Haven't been back to the doctor because I need a break, and he probably does, too. The cholesterol numbers do not suit him, even though they suit me. My blood pressure is down, even though it wasn't high. I am doing just fine, for now.
Esmeralda

Postby Patty » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:09 pm

Thank you for your reply. Sounds like TriCor wasn't any improvement for you.

I have no new symptions, just the same weakness in my legs with pain if I overdue it. I will be trying it for three months and if my numbers don't improve, I'll go completely natural to lower my cholesterol.

I'm like you. I think my numbers are fine, but my doc doesn't.
Patty

Re: TriCor

Postby vipergg22 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:58 am

[quote="Patty"]I was on 40 mg. of Zocor for two years when I developed leg pain and weakness.

I was put on Zetia, which didn't relieve the problem.

Then I was put on 48 mg. of TriCor for a month and I experienced no pain, but there was no change in the cholesterol levels, so it was increased to 145 mg. last week.

Have any of you been on TriCor?

I can be pain free if I don't extend my legs for a long period of time. When drove to see my Dr. last week, with a two hour round trip, the pain returned.

The next day I was hobbling around. Do any of you experience these same side effects?

I understand that TriCor is a very expensive drug, and the pharmacy at my military base will no longer be dispensing it, so I will have to pay the co-pay. Not a problem if it works.

Any feedback you can give me would be helpful. Thanks.[/quote]

Tricor is not a statin , it a fenofibrate which is used to lower high triglycerides though normal it will have an effect on all levels to a certain extent . Do not ever take tricor and a statin together as this can cause a serious reaction called rhabdomylosis ( muscle wasting) and potential life threatening consequences . I would resist this combo even if doctor says to . Read the adverse effects which reccomend against using this combo .
vipergg22

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs