Zocor Side Effects

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Zocor Side Effects

Postby den_martin » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:28 am

September 2, 2007

On July of 2005 I had my annual physical exam at the VA clinic.which showed I was in good health. On the day following the exam the doctor's nurse called me to inform me that the doctor had prescribed Zocor for me because of her concern that that my cholesterol level was to high (238).I took the precribed dosage (20 mg per day) 40 times over a period of 54 days starting on the first or second week in August. On the 27th of September I collapsed while going upstairs in my townhouse. My legs had very little strength.I immediately stopped taking the drug thinking that it may be the cause of my condition.

From that moment onward I began experiencing pain in my calves and and right shoulder, and numbness in my legs below my knees and feet. My condition continued to worsen even though I had stopped taking the drug. On the 3rd of October my blood pressure had risen to about 155/110 which is extremely high for me as my blood pressure usually is about 105/70.I admitted myself immediately to the emergency ward of a local hospital because the VA Clinic was about a 45 minute drive away.( I admited myself again on the eighth of October for the same reason). I was given a pill to bring the blood pressure down. I told the doctor that in addition to numbness and extreme weekness in my legs I had pins and needles effect in my finger tips, inability to bend the first digit of my left finger at the second joint and pain in my right shoulder and calves. The doctor recommended to the VA that I should be checked for neuropathy.

I called my doctor at the VA Clinic for an appointment. She told me to stop taking the drug if I had not already done so. She thought that my condition might be caused by a pinched nerve and scheduled a test to verify if indeed it was, as well as a MRI to determine if I may have suffered a stroke, and a blood test to determine whether I had liver damage. All the test results were negative. She then made an appointment for me to see the VA neurologist which was set for the following week. The neurologist tested me for muscle weekness and peripheral nerve sensitivity and found that I had muscle weekness in my legs and fingers and severe peripheral neuropathy in both my legs and hands. His prognosis was not very encouraging especially when he told me that sometimes peripheral neuropathy would disappear over time but sometimes it would not.

My condition worsened to the point that I had to use a cane (and later a walker) to get around. During the appointment with my VA doctor to review the neurologists findings my doctor concluded that the drug Zocor was probably the cause of my condition since I did not have a diabetes condition and the tests conducted by the VA and the emergency ward of the HealthFirst Hospital revealed no other cause. I told her that my highest priority at that time was to regain the strength in my legs and requested that I attend physical therapy at the VA, which she arranged.

I attended the therapy classes and I performed the prescribed excercises at home until some time in March, 2006 when the therapist was convinced that I had recovered sufficient muscle strength and coordination in my legs to walk with a cane, and ordered my release from the therapy at the VA

Now, I have recovered most of the muscle strength in my legs and I don't need a cane to walk. The peripheral neuropathy condition has disappeared in most of the affected areas of my legs but the neuropathy persists around the ankles, the balls of my feet and toes and a narrow area extending from my toes to about three inches above the ankle in both legs. I still experience fatigue pain in my leg muscles and tendons when I walk and the tendons and muscles of my legs feel extremely tight.

I have taken no drugs except aspirin since I took blood pressure pills at the initial stages of the lengthy, injurous and painful condition caused by the Zocor drug ( I remember the VA doctor saying that I should recover from the side effects in about one week after discontinuing taking the drug). I have been treating the condition by taking 30 milligrams of CoQ10 supplement daily since November 2005, and by doing daily leg excercises.
den_martin

Postby catspajamas » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:38 pm

I am sorry you have experienced the worst side effects of zocor...I did too....it has been 5 years since I stopped zocor...the neurapathy in my feet/ ankles persists to this day...I take neurontin and cymbalta to control the pain enough that I can be mobile and sleep at night. The drug company told me that 1 in 10,000 people experienced neurapathy when they tested the drug... 1 is too many and they shouldn't of put it on the market anyway...I have resigned myself to the fact that I probably will have neurapathy the rest of my life..In fact I think it affected my entire nervous system..If by some miracle the supplements they suggest here improve my situation I will be grateful to this wonderful bunch of people here that give their opinions and good advice.....238? you should of never been put on a statin in the 1st place..mine total stays around 229 and I am satisfied I have come to the conclusion that. Our bodies were made to use cholesteral...if you take it all away we will die...simple as that...
catspajamas

Postby cjbrooksjc » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:14 am

den_martin: I, like you, am a Zocor sufferer. I suggest you up your CoQ10 to at least 600 Mg daily; that's 20X the amount you are taking now. L-Carnitine also improves Statin-induced muscle damage. I take 800Mg Q10 and 600Mg L-carnitine daily. Read some of the threads here and you will find many formulae for recovery. They will vary but almost always include CoQ10 and L-Carnitine. There are a few who can't take these supplements due to headache, etc. (Q10 & L-C), but that seems rare. Also, If you are taking multi-vitamins be aware that Niacin can cause lingering Statin-like effects. Find a multi-B that is simply B6, B12, and Folic acid, and take that instead. Let us know how you progress.

Best wishes,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Brian C. » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:18 pm

Brooks: ....Niacin can cause lingering Statin-like effects.

Have you got any study references for that? My endoc put me on 500mg Niaspan.

Thanks

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby SusieO » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:40 pm

[quote="Brian C."]Brooks: ....Niacin can cause lingering Statin-like effects.

Have you got any study references for that? My endoc put me on 500mg Niaspan.

Thanks

Brian.[/quote]

Brian I am unable to take any amount of Niacin. Read this: **http://www.upsher-smith.com/PDFs/niacor_pat.pdf
SusieO

Postby cjbrooksjc » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:37 pm

Biologist: So many references; so little time... I can't find something more concrete right now, but what I remember is that Niacin helps with HDL levels in a way a Statin can't and, in an extended release version, is used with a more aggressive but short lived Statin (Mevacor) to become Advicor (Niacin and Lovastatin). I'll plug in the one marginal reference I found, but I'm sure there is something I've missed right here on the forum.

*www.annals.org/cgi/reprint/141/8/649.pdf
The letter by Fux and colleagues suggesting an interaction between ezetimibe and statin-associated myopathy confirms our own findings. It is known that most lipid-lowering therapies, including statins, fibrates, and niacin, may cause muscle toxicity.
The common feature of these therapies is that they reduce levels of triglycerides and free fatty acids. Hypertriglyceridemia is common among patients with reactions to lipid-lowering therapies, some of whom may have defects in fatty acid oxidation. Respiratory exchange ratios have been used to identify abnormalities in fatty acid oxidation. The fasting respiratory exchange ratio is increased in patients with statin muscle toxicity, suggesting defective fatty acid oxidation. Muscle disorders and abnormal excretion of urinary organic acids in patients with statin-induced muscle toxicity also suggest impaired oxidation of fatty acids. Normal asymptomatic controls demonstrate an increase in basal, fasting respiratory exchange ratio while taking statins, further supporting the sensitivity of this test in assessing changes in fatty acid oxidation induced by lipid lowering therapies.
While evaluating more than 300 patients with intolerance of lipid-lowering therapies, we identified a group with common features, including intolerance of multiple lipid-lowering therapies, elevated fasting respiratory exchange ratios while not taking lipid lowering therapy, and, often, hypertriglyceridemia. These common features suggest impaired oxidation of fatty acids. Of interest, when we prescribed ezetimibe as monotherapy for approximately 30 of these patients, myopathic symptoms recurred in 18.
We did not do formal testing, such as muscle biopsy, cardiopulmonary exercise testing, or dynamometry, to assess muscle strength during and without ezetimibe therapy. The symptoms we observed were striking and occurred within 2 weeks of starting therapy in this vulnerable patient group. Many of these patients also could not tolerate fibrates and niacin.
cjbrooksjc

Postby Brian C. » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:07 am

Thank you SusieO and Brooks. I'm also taking other things to keep my LDL below the level at which it deposits cholesterol in the body tissue, namely berberine and alfalfa. It's a while since I had my last blood test. I'll wait until I see another lipid profile which hopefully will reveal some lee-way for dropping the Niaspan.

So many supplements, so little insight :)

Brian
Brian C.

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:37 pm

Brian: Of course I meant my last post to be addressed to you and not Biologist (who is most certainly welcome to read it).

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Brian C. » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:05 am

That's OK xrn :lol:

Brian
Brian C.

Re: Zocor Side Effects

Postby poohhel » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:22 am

[quote="den_martin"] Now, I have recovered most of the muscle strength in my legs and I don't need a cane to walk. The peripheral neuropathy condition has disappeared in most of the affected areas of my legs but the neuropathy persists around the ankles, the balls of my feet and toes and a narrow area extending from my toes to about three inches above the ankle in both legs. I still experience fatigue pain in my leg muscles and tendons when I walk and the tendons and muscles of my legs feel extremely tight. [/quote]

den_martin:
I took Vytorin for 16 months and have now been off of them for 5 months and I still have the same conditions with my ankles, heels, balls of feet, and toes... extending above my ankle and sometimes to my knees.

I also have had ALL the test and nothing had been found to be causing all these problems until I went and saw a podiatrist (after my neurologist had nothing more to try) and he said I have Tarsal Tunnel syndrome which is pinched nerves in the ankles/feet. I am having surgery on both feet (one at a time) starting in October.

I strongly believe that statins are what caused the nerve damage, but of course I can not get any doctors to admit to that... But considering in the past 5 months they have found nerve damage in my wrists/hands (CTS), 2 pinched nerves in my neck, 3 pinched nerves in my lower back, and now in both ankles/feet (TTS)... what else could it be?

Mind you, the MRI's, CT Scans, etc... have shown no evidence as to what is causing the pinched nerves in my neck and lowerback. Another words, all test come out within normal range but yet my EMG and NVC test results indicate radiculpathy (pinched nerves) and I have neuropathy symptoms in my arms/hands/fingers and my butt/legs/ankles/feet/toes.

The podiatrist said that most tests are done by comparing the right to the left of the patient (the right extremity versus the left extremity) ... when 1 side reads out of the normal range than it is suggested that there is an abnormal result = neuropathy. BUT when both sides are equally abnormal, the results are then read as normal. There is where many correct diagnoses are not made.

Unfortunately, once the statins have caused the problems then we are left with fixing the problems. I only pray that my up coming surgeries will be the answer to getting rid of the pain and getting me back to a quality life style. Good Luck to you!
poohhel

Postby den_martin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:52 am

Poohhel,

Thank you for your response.

Surgery to alleviate certain pinched nerve conditions have a good success ratio. You may know that First Lady Laura Bush recently had surgery for pinched nerves on her neck which she said was a success. I expect that your surgery will produce the anticipated results and that you will make a full recovery. However, according to some information on the internet, the nerves that have been compressed for a long period of time will take longer to regain their normal function than nerves being compressed for a short time.

Den_Martin
den_martin

Postby adec » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:24 pm

Seems niacin (and cinnamon) get a bad rap on this forum. :) Niacin is already found in our daily diets, the highest amounts in fortified cereals and bagels. Foods high in tryptophan also have the potential for conversion to niacin.

Now in certain people niacin may exacerbate the side effects of statins due to flushing. This flushing has the potential to release remaining residues of statins, their muscle wastage and other toxifications. As we age, increasing number of toxins accumulate in fatty deposits and capillaries. These teeny capillaries especially benefit with greatly increased circulation and efficient nutritional transport to cells. Flushing merely indicates normal bloodflow and ability to detoxify in response to histamine. This is a good thing.

Niacin is also vital toward energy production and the breakdown of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Especially the cellular metabolites NAD/NADH, and derived ADP-ribose, are responsible for DNA repair. These are very beneficial substances as the very precursors of ATP energy. Both NAD+ and ribose play vital roles in energy metabolism and cellular respiration, and are just as important coenzymes as Q10. Niacin inhibits poly-ADB ribose and prevents these NAD+ structures being emptied. Lower levels of ribose and NAD+ are actually signs of poor metabolism and niacin deficiency.

There are indeed plenty of substances with lipid altering properties in the human body without similar function to statin drugs. Statins inhibit HMG-CoA, which in turn clears LDL from the bloodstream. While niacin instead prevents fatty tissue breakdown, which eventually causes a decrease of LDL production in the liver. Niacin is actually responsible for fatty acid and cholesterol synthesis. But what makes niacin far more unique is its ability to elevate HDL. Studies have found those with the highest levels of HDL, the best triglyceride/HDL ratios in general, live longest. Niacin can also raise HGH levels in blood stream when taken on an empty stomach, in absence of any lipids.

The real question about niacin is its upper limits. I personally wouldn't take more than 500mg to 1 gram daily. Someone suffering statin damage might be wise to gradually build up a tolerance. Certainly anyone could see tangible benefit in taking as little as 250-500mg a few times a week. Although, I believe it's even smarter to include niacin as part of a multi-pronged approach. Astaxanthin, a powerful anti-oxidant, especially has the ability to lower oxidized-LDL, and triglycerides, and substantially raise HDL. Astaxanthin is literally a cholesterol paradox... niacin also to some degree. I also like plant stanols and sterols just in their ability to lower C-reactive protein. And in the forum kimsuoil had mentioned Sytrinol, or tangerine/orange/palm fruit extract, whic definitely deserves some further consideration as a safe and effective way of creating an optimal cholesterol profile.

And then it's also important to maintain B-vitamin balance by taking a multi-B vitamin every once in a while, as was suggested by Brooks. Supplementing with a methyl donor such as Trimethylglycine TMG will further help make those B-vitamins more bioavailable to cells, and greatly lower homocycsteine. TMG would also help alleviate niacin's flushing, and is very inexpensive.... just like niacin. Although, I'm unsure what affect it ultimately would have on cholesterol profiles (?.)
adec

Postby poohhel » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:48 am

[quote="den_martin"] Surgery to alleviate certain pinched nerve conditions have a good success ratio. . . I expect that your surgery will produce the anticipated results and that you will make a full recovery. However, according to some information on the internet, the nerves that have been compressed for a long period of time will take longer to regain their normal function than nerves being compressed for a short time. Den_Martin[/quote]

Thank you for the positive words of encouragement. With a week to go until my first surgery... I have been doing a lot of research on TTS and also the surgery Tarsal Tunnel Release and it does have about a 70-75% chance of correcting all of the issues and statistics show that even in the 25-30% that do not gain FULL recovery... all but 13% did get enough relief to make the surgery worth the time. My doctor is hoping that I do not have any permanent damage being that it took so long to get the correct diagnosis. From what he said~ it is possible I already have some permanent damage that will not be reversed by the surgery. He feels that some of my symptoms are past the point of early stages. But I am keeping the faith and my doctor does have very good reputation and a high success rate with this procedure.
poohhel

Postby Brian C. » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:59 am

Thank you for that information adec. Would you care to have a look at an interesting formulation, GlycoTrol, recently introduced by Lidtke Technologies? Their blurb says:

"Developed by Dr Charles Jarowski, Head of Research and Development at Pfizer for twenty-three years, this patented formula is designed to help stabbilize blood glucose, cholesterol, blood urea nitrogen, triglycerides and homocysteine levels for cardiovascular health and overall well-being".

Constituents are the usual trio, B6(pyridoxine HCl), B12(cyanobalamin) and Folic Acid with a proprietary amino blend of L-Lysine HCl, L-Valine, L-Methionine and L-Tryptophan.

Your learned observations and comments invited.

Brian.
Brian C.

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs