statins and blood sugar levels ??

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

statins and blood sugar levels ??

Postby justa » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:19 am

I posted this topic on the Crestor board, but thought I might have a better chance of a response if I posted it on the STATIN DRUGS board.. so pardon the duplication..

I am a type 2 diabetic, who has been doing FAIRLY WELL at controlling my blood sugar levels. Just a couple of weeks ago, my labwork showed my fasting sugar was 6.1 ( in Canada the normal fasting sugars for NON diabetics is 3.3 - 5.8 mmol/L) and my HgA1C was 6.3%, (in Canada, the normal HgA1C level for NON diabetics is 4-6%). (The HgA1C number reflects the average blood sugar of an individual over a three-month period.)I was averaging a fasting blood sugar of 6.3-6.8 daily UNTIL I started on Crestor August 16th.

I started the 10 mg of Crestor daily, with a mid-day dose but was feeling ROTTEN within 2 hr of taking the dose.. sudden excessive FATIGUE, and some mild heart palpitations(the palpitations occurred once) so I was advised by a relative who also takes Crestor, to take the dose at bedtime instead of mid-day, to circumvent the fatigue, (this was his doctor's advice). So I switched to a bedtime dose, which seemed to solve the fatigue problem, but now, each morning when I test my fasting blood sugar levels, I have found a noticeable increase in my fasting sugar levels...they now range between 7.5 - 9.0 mmol/L which I find disturbing as I am used to 6.3 -6.8 mmol/L.
I follow a very regimented dietary plan and don't eat anything after supper nightly, so my fasting times are usually 12 -14 hr duration, and nothing else has changed in my lifestyle except the Crestor prescription.
My LDL level was 3.00 (normal LDL in Canada is less than 3.37mmol/L)
so the doctor said he wanted it to be reduced to around 2.00 mmol/L..hence the prescription for Crestor.

I am just wondering if any of you who also have taken statin drugs and are diabetics checking your fasting glucose levels, noticed an INCREASE in fasting blood sugar levels after starting on the statin drugs?
I have found very little data on the internet to verify that such an occurrance does happen.

Hoping for a response from others with similar side effects occurrences.

justa
justa

Postby Ray Holder » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:58 am

Hi justa, and welcome
I am not diabetic, but I know that diabetics who have been taking statins, and who supplement with Coenzyme Q10 to help overcome their problems find that their sugar levels drop with its use.

It would be fair to assume that if Q10 supplement helps with sugar levels, that the statin effect of reducing Q10 levels as it reduces cholesterol would have the opposite effect. If you must take the crestor, I suggest that you might consider some Q10 supplementation to keep its undesirable side effects at bay.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby justa » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:28 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Ray.. I purchased some CoQ10 capsules today and have started on 120mg daily regimen, will see if it helps. I noticed the disclaimer on the bottle says, "Consult Health Care Practitioner if taking statins, beta blockers, tricyclic antidepressants, and anticoagulants"
I am wondering why they included consulting the Dr. if you are taking statins.. am thinking it is just to advise the doctor that you have opted to take CoQ10, so that he/she is aware.
Frankly, as a nurse of 30+ yrs, I truly believe MOST doctors, (well, family doctors anyway) generally are only as knowledgeable about adverse effects and expected side effects of the drugs they prescribe, as the drug company representative wants them to be. I truly believe they are so overworked that they don't have time to devote to studies on the multitude of drugs they prescribe and so they rely heavily on the "hype" from the drug company rep/salesperson.

I am hoping this CoQ10 proves beneficial to my health. I intend to continue a regimen which includes CoQ10 daily and will then present my doctor with documented evidence of my blood sugar levels etc.. to see what he thinks of this enzyme.
Luckily, my family doctor has come to realize I am pig headed enough that I will opt for more "natural" choices for treatment of ailments etc..
rather than going the brandname drug company product route.

By the way.. [b]I know its off topic[/b], but I swear by the benefits of TURMERIC AND BROMELAIN capsules instead of NSAIDs for arthritis relief. I stopped NSAIDs after 18 yrs of them for osteoarthritis and am existing quite comfortably on ONE Turmeric and Bromelain capsule daily... of course you don't see these widely advertised as they are not huge moneymakers like NSAIDs that are pushed on the market.. LOL
justa

Postby eml256 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:08 pm

an article of an interview with dr. beatrice golomb printed in either a colorado or arizona newspaper quoted her as saying that increases in blood glucose levels has been reported with the use of statins. i have also read an explanation of why this occurs, but cannot remember the references...google dr. golomb and then google statins and blood glucose --hope this helps, madelyn
eml256

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs