Frustrated and Annoyed

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Frustrated and Annoyed

Postby poohhel » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:14 am

I stopped taking Vytorin 4 months ago because of severe adverse reactions including perpherial neuropathy from my neck to my toes... See previous post from me for more details... Today, all test that have been conducted to try and explain all this numbness and tingling and excruiating pain in my back, legs, and feet... all are within normal range--there is no more test to do... ALTHOUGH my cholestrol #'s are back on the high side according to my doctor and now he wants me to start Zetia. I told him no way no how...I would never go back to a Statin... he claimed Zetia is not a Statin and does not work through the liver. I straight out asked if muscle weakness was a side effect of Zetia and he said no...but then I read the cautions and side effects on the Zetia website, and it says right there...MUSCLE WEAKNESS is a side effect!!!
I just don't know what to do anymore. I am already feeling totally depressed-- I don't need anymore help with that-- I am afraid that it will take me over the edge.
poohhel

Zetia also works in your liver

Postby diyrich » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:35 pm

*http://heart.health.ivillage.com/new...ral=NL_ HEART

For those on Zetia like my wife, I suggest you read this.
The report says Zetia does indeed work thru the liver, which is contrary to their commercials.
Although my wife does not suffer near as bad taking Zetia as she did with statins (she tried almost all on the market at the time), she still has a considerable amount of muscle pain and weakness in her legs.
Rich
diyrich

Postby poohhel » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:31 am

Rich: What is the exact title of the report? When I put the above mentioned web address into my browser-- it only brings up the front page of ivillage and says it can not locate the specific location. Thanks,
poohhel

Postby diyrich » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:24 am

*http://heart.health.ivillage.com/newsstories/cholesterolloweringetiaalsoworksin.cfm?general=NL_HEART

Try this one, hopefully it will work for you.
If not maybe i can copy the atricle and e-mail it to you.
Rich
diyrich

Postby carbuffmom » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:26 am

Hi poohhel:

Have you ever tried Benfotiamine for your peripheral neuropathy? I know many diabetics use it. I don't have the pain that you have, so I don't take it any more. You can google it and see what you think.

My best, Deb
carbuffmom

Postby carbuffmom » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:29 am

Rich:

The link works. Thanks for the interesting article. No wonder so many of us have problems with zetia and vytorin.

Deb
carbuffmom

Postby diyrich » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:48 am

Deb,
I'm glad you were able to read that article.
I guess it implies that working thru your liver is a good thing, but I don't know.
When they always mention unexplained muscle pain or weakness, whether talking about a statin or Zetia, the first thing that always strikes me is the heart is a MUSCLE.
My wife has stopped the Zetia a few times including the last two weeks.
All her muscle pain has subsided and she feels much better.
I also get concerned because of people I know who have died from unexplained liver cancer. Were they taking these meds, I'm not sure.
Rich
diyrich

Postby catspajamas » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:34 am

Benfotiamine is B vitamins which are good for the nerves....I take that with no side effects to help...understand B complex will do basically the same thing.....Benfotiamine is not expensive on I herb...
catspajamas

Postby poohhel » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:39 pm

Rich: Thanks, the second link worked for me... after this confirmation I am definitely not going to use Zetia!! I do not need the additional muscle cramps and pains and then to also read about the increase of depression... my doctor has to be nuts if he thinks I am going to continue on this distructive path.

Deb: Thanks. I am going to check into the Benfotiamine... catspajamas says this is B vitamins, so I am going to assume if I take this supplement I can stop taking all the B vitamins? What is the suggested dosage?
poohhel

Postby carbuffmom » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:07 am

Hi Poohhel:

Yes, it's B vitamins. The suggested dosage is 1-4 capsules a day. I would take the max to start. My bottle is 150 mg capsules. Each capsule contains Thiamine 103 mg
B-2 10 mg
B-5 50 mg
B-6 10 mg
B-12 500 mcg
Folic acid 100 mcg

I think you could give up the B vitamins if you take this. I might start taking them again. Guess it can't hurt.

Hope this helps you----DEB
carbuffmom

Benfotiamine = B Vitamins

Postby poohhel » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:08 pm

Thanks Deb :D
I like the idea of taking 1 supplement to get all the B vitamins... right now I have a bottle of each B vitamin and I get full just drinking the water to get them all down...hahaha :lol:

:?: If I take the max dose, 4 capsules, can I take them all at one time?
~ Helen
poohhel

Postby carbuffmom » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Hi Helen:

I would divide them up between meals. I am going to take them again, one at breakfast, one at lunch and two at dinner. I hope they help you.

Deb
carbuffmom

Zetia is basically an unknown medicine

Postby davidsa » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:05 pm

There is no reason for anyone-man or woman, young or old, sick or well, to take Zetia.

The only medical effect studied in Zetia is that it reduces cholesterol primarily by poisoning the gut, so that various things, including cholesterol, are not well absorbed. Some recent work supports the idea that Zetia also slows down the liver.

But there is no work at all testing whether Zetia does anything clinically for heart disease, stoke, or any other condition. Thus people who take it are in fact unpaid (and uninformed) guinea pigs, testing Zetia's clinial effects in the market place, with their lives on the line.

When proper tests are done, it may turn out that Zeta is a good medicine. But until then, if you value your health too much to gamble it away, stay away from Zetia.

Art D.
davidsa

Postby poohhel » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:54 am

Art: I already decided not to start Zetia or any other cholestrol lowering medication. I told my doctor to forget it...I choose quality of life over quantity any day. Although, I think I have a better chance of living longer being off all this crap.

Deb: That's a good idea to split them but I think I will reverse and do two at breakfast and two at lunch... Because I read that B vitamins some times hype you up a bit so may not be good too close to bedtime. Haha. I already get up 3 times a night ...
poohhel

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs