Need Well Planned Strategy To Get Off Lipitor

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Need Well Planned Strategy To Get Off Lipitor

Postby manoflamancha » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:35 pm

[b] :D Hi to all, my 1st post here. I have been taking one 20mg lipitor pill each night for 9 yrs now. Nine yrs ago our new family doctor said my total cholesterol level was 280+ and because I was genetically predisposed to heart problems (father's side)....I had to take lipitor. The doc said that even if I ate nothing but carrots.....my cholesterol level would be off the roof.

Having read a lot of adverse info about statins, I am going to get off Lipitor, but would appreciate all the help in planning a good exit (and transitional) strategy.

For most of the 9 yrs, up until early part this year, every visit to the doctor was a time to throw confetti up in the air with glowing reports of how my kidney function and minerals, liver function test, fasting blood sugar, fasting cholesterol, HDL, LDL, & Triglycerides levels were sooooo good.

Early part of this year I went in for my check up. Blood sugar was up for the 1st time and I was told to take the 2 hr blood sugar test.....which showed positive. It was prediabetic and I chose not to take any meds for that. The doc said I needed to lose weight, but that my body's inability to process sugar correctly was not going to allow me to lose the weight....and thats why I needed the med. With no meds, I have lost 35 lbs, and have some more to lose.....but I have proven that I can lose it without any meds.

I have also experienced leg muscle spasms and pain in my right bicep.

I noted in one of the referenced article in this forum where a strong correlation seems to exist between statins and sugar. Is the lipitor the culprit to bring on this condition? Below is what was said, I would appreciate some feedback.

"Cholesterol is the precursor to all the hormones produced in the adrenal cortex including glucocorticoids, which regulate blood sugar levels, and mineralocorticoids, which regulate mineral balance. Corticoids are the cholesterol-based adrenal hormones that the body uses in response to stress of various types; it promotes healing and balances the tendency to inflammation. The adrenal cortex also produces sex hormones, including testosterone, estrogen and progesterone, out of cholesterol. Thus, low cholesterol--whether due to an innate error of metabolism or induced by cholesterol-lowering diets and drugs--can be expected to disrupt the production of adrenal hormones and lead to blood sugar problems, edema, mineral deficiencies, chronic inflammation, difficulty in healing, allergies, asthma, reduced libido, infertility and various reproductive problems."

Thanks[/b]
manoflamancha

Postby Ray Holder » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:41 am

Hi, and welcome

I believe quite strongly that the deficiency of Coenzyme Q10 caused by statins reduces the ability of the pancreas to produce insulin, and thus paves the way for what is normally age related diabetes, see my paper via the home page and at the bottom under statin pages, "statins, fitting the pieces together"

Those taking Q10 who are actually diabetic are warned that Q10 may reduce sugar levels, which is actually what they need, as long as they monitor them carefully, so for you, taking some Q10 should ward off the onset of diabetes. It should help in preventing the oxidation of Ldl cholesterol and thus help with your FH problem.

Ray
Ray Holder

Thanks Ray

Postby manoflamancha » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:42 am

Thank you very much Ray. So, when I get off the lipitor, should I wean off of it as some suggest, or go "cold turkey"? So how much of this Q10 should I take and do I find it at a local health food store? Aside good diet and exercise, should I also start taking 3000mg of vitamin C each day?

Thanks again,
Paul
manoflamancha

Postby Ray Holder » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:50 pm

Hi Paul
Spacedoc recommended tapering off a statin, on the grounds that an adverse effect could arise from a sudden stop, and I would suggest that, as you have been taking it for such a long time, it is probably advisable to reduce gradually. If you go to spacedoc home page and look fairly well down the page, under statin pages, stopping statins, a well reasoned course of action to follow will be found.

Q10 is easily available in USA at Walmart and quite generally elsewhere, I don't know the best brands over there, but quality is a bit variablle in some places, I understand. You need oil based capsules for good absorbsion, 200 mg a day is probably a good starting point, many take a lot more, I take 600 mg a day in three doses of 200, but I am 86 and need it to keep my heart working.

There are some on this board who recommend large Vit C doses, personally, I only take 500 mg a day, but I believe it is best taken frequenrttly, as blood levels fall quickly after each dose, and fish oil for omega 3 is desirable as well.

If you look at all posts from Fran, under the name sos_group_owner, she has put in lots of advice on other supplements which are desirable, there is a lot of knowledge scattered through this site!!

Ray
Ray Holder

Thanks Ray

Postby manoflamancha » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:29 pm

Again, thanks Ray for all your helpful info.
Take care,
Paul
manoflamancha

Postby xrn » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:42 pm

hi Paul, are you considering joining the class action against Lipitor?

Kind regards,
xrn
xrn

Postby SusieO » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:35 am

XRN why don't you start a new thread about this class action lawsuit? Is this the one that Attorney Mark Krum is taking on or another one? I would be interested in knowing more because it seems I have been dropped off the list with Mr. Krum.
SusieO

Postby xrn » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:00 am

Hi Susie, Were you a part of the actions that Mark Krum was taking? My interest was to get some publicity for the action on UK prime-time TV. I am not sure of the status of the law in the UK but I do believe that class actions are possible.

I was hoping to find a person who would be willing to be interviewed about the action that they were wanting to take against Pfizer. As far as I can tell, no lawyers in the UK have picked up on this particular case but I will ask around now and see what the current position is regarding class actions of this kind.

As for dropping below Mark Krum's radar... has that happened to you and can you get him to accept you back on his list of people waiting to have their day in court with Pfizer.

kind regards,
xrn
xrn

Postby SusieO » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:39 am

xrn; the last call I made to Mark Krum I was told that I should look for an attorney in my own area of the U.S. (well I am not financially that well off to do this). I assume my damage is not severe enough for them to use me as a good example?????!!!!!

I am now waiting and watching for the day I see a TV commercial that says "if you or a loved one has taken the drug Lipitor and you have health problems please call the law office of ...".
SusieO

Postby Dee » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:20 pm

We all know how you feel, Susie. We have been let down by the FDA, the medical community, and the legal profession.

What a sad commentary on the state of things for us that have had our lives destroyed.
Dee

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs