Thankful for this website

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Thankful for this website

Postby hurting » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:58 pm

This is to everyone who has taken the time to come here and relate their stories. I have been posting to Statins and Crestor. I just want all of you to know my results. Went off Crestor for the second time just about one week ago and I have improved 1000%. Am taking CoQ10 100mg and 3-6-9-1000 mgs. Just that has turned everything around. My legs have stopped hurting by 90% - I figure another couple of weeks and they will be back to normal. The belly swelling has gone down. My arms don't hurt unless I really strain them - figure that will go away as well. And more importantly my energy level has become dynamic once again. I have cancelled the proposed angioplasty on my legs and am going to the doctor Monday for check up. I can't wait to see what he says. I also have found a product from Future Biotics called Cholesta-Lo which is all vegetable phytosterols. Anyone know about that? It has Niacin and all sorts of good stuff - I plan to start it next week.

So everyone out there - there surely is hope. You just have to trust your own body when it says there is definitely something wrong and it all started with the Statins. I and others are living proof. My mental clarity has improved and it is really hard to believe how bad it was getting.

So hang in there and let us all know your own individual progress. I will post again after doctor visit.
hurting

Postby SusieO » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:40 pm

Hurting; that is wonderful news that after only one week you are feeling so much better! You are truly one of the lucky ones - consider yourself a very forturnate person!!! :D
SusieO

Thanks to all who have posted and given me hope.

Postby uncle2blade » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:46 pm

Hi. I would like to express my many thanks to all those people who have given me hope through the dark times, especially Bucho, Tex62, RayHolder, Biologist and Cibrooksic. I have been on statin drugs since 1996. I started with Zocor and had muscle problems. Then I was put on Lipitor and had the same reaction. Recovery time was approximately two weeks after these episodes. However, in 1999 I began taking Crestor with no apparent reaction and Zitea was added to the regime in 2002 with no apparent reaction. However, I noticed at some point while taking them some lower back joint pain. I dismissed it as 40 years of standing behind a barber chair. I thought I had a little arthritis. About the same time I started having what I thought was sciatic nerve pain. The discomfort I felt from these symptoms was tolerable. As the years went by the pain became more severe until Christmas of 2006 when I was hardly able to stand. I went through all the rounds of testing and different doctors and of course they found nothing wrong. Finally, in the middle of February 2007 I discovered that the symptoms I was having related to statin drugs. My last dose was February 12, 2007. After discontinuing the statins everything manifested itself. I became very weak and fatigued and all my muscles in my lower body ached and cramped. I found this forum the first of March and thanks to all of you I started taking the supplements that really started to help me, especially CoQ10 and L-carnitine. I was pretty much incapacitated until mid-May. Since then, I have began to make slow but steady improvements. I am back to working about 20 hours a week. I am still in discomfort mainly in my left hip and lower back. Today I have hope thanks to all of you that the damage from statin drugs will be resolved. -- Craig
uncle2blade

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:00 am

Craig: Keep in mind the recovery cycle for Statin induced incapacity includes cyclic downturns in your overall condition (during the recovery process you will likely, on occasion, feel poorly and think your condition is reverting). This is a common scenario and should not discourage you. Recovery takes a year or more to stabilize into some sort of gradual improvement (without downturns); at least that is what many of us are experiencing. On 8/8/7 I will be off Statins for one year, but I didn't begin the recommended supplements until December '06. Currently I am about 60% improved, but I still have 'bad' days. I am hoping that by December '07 I will be able to say, after one year, I am recovered. It's a process - don't lose your momentum.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Brian C. » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:41 am

Great news hurting! I will back up Brooks' warning about ups and downs.
I stopped taking statins at the end of March after 17 years of poisoning (7 years on Zocor followed by 10 on Lipitor). Six weeks in I felt fully restored and was able to outwalk my wife when shopping(!). Then, after 2 weeks and a short trip abroad, my condition regressed back to the bad times - but this weekend I experienced a definite uptick and feel sooo much better again. I'm hoping it will last more than 2 weeks this time - especially since we're off to Barbados this week :D

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby carbuffmom » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:28 am

Brian:

Have a great trip! Think positively! You will be feeling GREAT!

Seriously, have a good time.

DEB
carbuffmom

Postby Brian C. » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:37 am

Thanks Deb. Just the protracted UK airport security arrangements to fear :D

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby uncle2blade » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:08 pm

Brooks, Thanks I need a cheerleader. Craig
uncle2blade

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:38 pm

Brian: Kudos! Hope you have a great time physically and emotionally. Beautiful place, Barbados - if you've never been - full of beautifully gentle people. BTW - lots of shorts and sunscreen; you will NOT need your overcoat!

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby uncle2blade » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:47 pm

Brooks, my wife said my last post sounded sarcastic. I just meant to say thanks for the encouragement! Craig
uncle2blade

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:01 pm

Craig: Don't give it another thought. That never entered my mind, or, perhaps, it entered my mind and passed right thru; I don't remember - another of the Statin-related effects. :wink:

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs