Zocor, triglycerides and cramps

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Postby jjflash73 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:25 pm

Found the site tonight and can't stop reading. Glad to be here. I have been on Zocor for 3 years and have terrible leg cramps and sometimes feel like I am forgetting stuff. I was embarrassed at 46 years old.

After reading so much the past few nights, I plan to drop zocor after a two week weening period. I may even 'fire' my doctor and look around for a holistic point of view. I live in NC where there are several University hospitals.

My questions are-
All of my levels are within acceptable levels except for my triglycerides which hover around 450 without medicine. One doctor tells me don't worry about it, "its not sticking to the artery walls" and there is no proof that high triglycerides is a problem, another doctor says 'take zocor'.
Any opinions? How can i lower Triglycerides without statins?

Leg cramps, awful pain in the muscles below my knees (calf area). I drink so much water that dehydration is not the issue. I wake to terrible pains. Also feel weak compared to a few years ago when it comes to strength and lifting.

However, I have Thallasymia and usually start slow when exerising and then catch my wind.
I wonder if the Thallasymia effects my cholesterol levels? Anyone know?

Again, glad I found this place, every post is so interesting and sincere.

Tom in NC
jjflash73

Postby SusieO » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:01 am

Hi Tom! I, too, have high triglycerides (429) and my doctor told me that he worries if they go much higher I have to be watched for pancreatitis.

I know eating a lot of carbs, sugars, drinking wine can raise your #'s. I also know if you take off some weight and exercise you can lower them.

I have statin damage from taking Lipitor and exercise and not get too weak, so what I can actually do is not even enough to matter in lowering my #'s.

I tried taking Lopid to lower them and the pain/weakness got worse. I then tried taking Cinnamon Capsules and the same thing happened only after 5 to 7 days of taking both of these things. Others have said to try Niacin - I can't even take a multi-vitamin that contains Niacin and the pain kicks in full force.

My heart doc says there is nothing else they can give me that will not cause the pain/weakness, so it is up to me to stop eating those bad cards and sugars. I am a self-confessed carboholic and I can't stop. I do try to slow down on eating them by eating most meals made by Nutri System, but on weekends I eat a normal diet and that does include desserts!

I wish you all the best!
SusieO

Postby Ray Holder » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:12 pm

Hi Tom,
I am no expert on triglycerides, but would strongly advise you to read the "Muscle pain and statins" posts, and take Q10 and carnitine to deal with these bad effects, caused by the statin.

At your time of life, it is probably a good idea to take some of the alternative folic acid, Vit B6, VitB12 etc supplements as shown on this site, to avoid the effects of inflammation on the artery walls, as you have stopped your statin.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby jjflash73 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:37 pm

SusieO and Ray,

Thanks for your posts. Ray, I have asked sevral doctors and they say it is OK to stop a statin cold turkey. What inflammation do you mention?
I read that a 81mg aspirin is a wise idea for the frist few weeks.

I plan to meet with my current doctor this week and discuss alternatives.

SusieO - do you experience the leg cramps? I like you, love carbs, but I have to drop the foods high in lipids. Diabetes could be a future issue.

I'll let you know what my doctor advises.

Tom in NC
jjflash73

Postby SusieO » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:17 am

Tom I stopped my statin cold turkey as that is what I was told to do and had not found this or other boards until much later to know any different.

I do take the daily 81mg. aspirin, but that is the only "supplement" that I take as I get awful headaches from CoQ10 (just tried to take 30 mgs this past week and that also was a no go).

Yes, I still get leg cramps but not as bad as what I did while on Lipitor.
SusieO

Postby Ray Holder » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:54 am

Hi Tom
The inflammation which I mentioned is that of the inner lining of the artery walls, which is the main reason for plaque being able to attach itself to the endothelium, as it is called. About the only real benefit of a statin is the inhibition of the factor which causes this inflammation, the lowering of cholesterol is mainly irrelevant.
The alternatives stop the production of homocysteine, a harmful substance produced in the liver, when there are not enough of the factors to complete its composition into a useful substance, the value of homocysteine in the blood is a much more reliable predictor of problems than cholesterol level.

Combination protection factor tablets are available from some suppliers, such as Jarrow Factors and Solgar. They are fairly cheap, my daily one here in UK costs about 20 pence, imported from USA.

Ray
Ray Holder

Zocor, cramps and triglycerides

Postby jjflash73 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:46 pm

Stop taking Zocor last Friday, June 22. No cramps in my legs at all. Honestly feel better, feel spunkier.

Doctor update- went to my regular doctor and he said 'OK' to stopping Zocor and he went right into 'there are other statins they we should explore'. He did NOT hear me say that " I am done with statins'.
A little communication problem. LOL.

Anyway, I went back on Friday (June 29) after fasting and had my blood work done to see the lipids level. I will know the results next week.

Spoke to the Pharmacist about CoQ10 and he said it 'may' help your muscle but there was no proof.

Began taking a multi vitamin for men. I want all of my vitamins.

Luckily I don't experience the 'muscle loss', just the leg cramps and they seem to of dissappeared.

Tom in NC 8)
jjflash73

Re: Zocor, cramps and triglycerides

Postby Brian C. » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:50 am

"Spoke to the Pharmacist about CoQ10 and he said it 'may' help your muscle but there was no proof."

Give him a copy of this Tom:

*http://www.nypcvs.org/images/Co_Q_and_Statin_Myopathy_AJC_2007.pdf

Best wishes for a full recovery

Brian.
Brian C.

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs