Statin + exercise = myalgia

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Statin + exercise = myalgia

Postby Brian C. » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:36 am

Even after only 8 weeks and with healthy volunteers avorstatin + exercise showed onset of myalgia with exertion after 8 hours!

*http://atvb.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/25/12/2560
Brian C.

Postby cjbrooksjc » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:22 pm

Brian: I exercised AND I MEAN EXERCISED while under Statin therapy, and I'm certain that did me no little damage. I got to a point where I simply couldn't exert myself any longer. These results (your url) don't startle me a bit! SOB! (not you).

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Brian C. » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:17 am

And this is how people like myself, with blocked coronary arteries so desperately needing to develop and maintain collateral circulation, can find ourselves in a vicious spiral :(

My medical notes contain the observation "Avoids even trivial exercise"

But the times they are a-changing! :wink:

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby poohhel » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:42 pm

[quote="Brian C."]And this is how people like myself, with blocked coronary arteries so desperately needing to develop and maintain collateral circulation, can find ourselves in a vicious spiral :(

My medical notes contain the observation "Avoids even trivial exercise"

But the times they are a-changing! :wink:

Brian.[/quote]

Brian: I am so in the same spot. My doctor suspects that I have claudication in my legs and my arms caused by arteries closing...

what's the cure... Stop smoking and Walking. The problem is I can't walk for more than 7 minutes without my legs beginning to burn, cramp, and tighten so much it hurts to take another step. Also my feet start burning and my big toes cramp so bad it makes me want to cry. After such an episode I have cramping, pains, and numbness for hours.
poohhel

Postby Brian C. » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:54 am

poohhel, I strongly recommend chelation therapy. It works! For example, when I was at the clinic earlier this year I met two chaps who each were told they were in urgent need of triple bypass surgery 20 years ago. Fortunately they had heard about chelation and elected to try that first. Both are fit and well and surgery-free :D

In addition to chelation I take Vitamin K2 (melaquinone). Research at the University of Maastricht in the Netherlands has shown that this removes the calcium from arterial plaque and promotes its incorporation into bone, where it belongs . I and my wife take Jarrow Formulas MK7.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby poohhel » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:18 pm

Brian: Thanks for the advice, I will check out the chelation and Vit K2.
poohhel

Postby adec » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:25 pm

I agree with Brian's recommendation, 100 percent. Calcification (and any associated inflammation) should be one of the biggest concerns as people age. I don't like the idea of supplementing with something as strong as EDTA, as discussed in the book "The Calcium Bomb," but am wholehearted in recommending Vitamin K2 (especially Menaquinone-7) and grapefruit, citrus, or apple pectin. Both have the ability to act as mild chelating agents, and can especially remove calcium from the arteries. Vitamin K2 also has the added bonus of being a preventative against bone loss and Alzheimer's. Pectins also have the ability to lower bad cholesterol the right way. :) Here are a few excerpts from a recent June 2007 article on the subject by Dr. James Howenstine.

"Calcification in cellular tissues is a sign of tissue damage, cellular aging and impending cell death. When cells are unable to regulate calcium and keep the calcium content of cells down cellular function degenerates. Calcified arteries, calcium in soft tissues and high levels of calcium within cells are all signs of aging. At age 80 the average calcium content in the aorta is 140 times greater[2] than the levels of aortic calcification noted at age 40. This may relate to a long period of unrecognized Vitamin K2 deficiency."

"A clinical study from Rotterdam, Holland revealed a correlation between long term adequate Vitamin K2 intake and a lower incidence of calcification of the wall of the aorta. Arteries with no plaques have a 20 to 50 fold increase in Vitamin K2 concentration when compared to arteries with arterial plaques. The high K2(menaquinone-7) content arteries were noted to be more flexible[7] and elastic than arteries lacking K2."
"Lack of Vitamin K2 causes calcium to fail to be deposited in bones where it belongs and to be deposited instead in arteries, aorta, soft tissues including muscle, breast, kidneys and in heel spurs."

A protein called osteocalcin transports calcium to bone. Vitamin K2(menaquinone-7) is used to solidify this calcium into the bone matrix. When Vitamin K2 is lacking the calcium remains in the blood and ends up getting deposited in the walls of arteries and other sites which is very undesirable. Thus Vitamin K2 becomes a critical nutrient for both bone and arteries."

You can read the rest of the article here:
*http://www.newswithviews.com/Howenstine/james59.htm

Some more great general information from NattoPharma on the specific product MenaQ7 (Vitamin MK-7.)
*http://www.nattopharma.com/index.php?s=science_sub
adec

More on Vitamin K2

Postby sos_group_owner » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:52 pm

Excerpt from Vitamin K article:

Vitamin K2 is the collective term for a group of vitamin K compounds called menaquinones. The menaquinone homolgues are characterized by the number of isoprene residues comprising the side chain.

Vitamin K2 is found in chicken egg yolk, butter, cow liver, certain cheeses and fermented soybean products such as natto.

Very little vitamin K is stored by the body; small amounts of this vitamin are deposited in the liver and in the bones, but this amount is only enough to supply the body's needs for a few days.

Source:
*http://www.vitamins-supplements.org/vitamin-K.php

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby adec » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:11 am

Too bad vitamin K2-rich natto itself is SO terribly slimy with a VERY strong taste and odor. Even someone like me with an unusually iron stomach could not tolerate it. It's most definitely an acquired taste. :)
adec

Postby Brian C. » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:34 pm

The MK-7 just slips down with no returns :wink:

Brian.
Brian C.

Reply for Brian

Postby sos_group_owner » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:51 pm

Hi Brian,

Read back to see that "The MK-7 just slips down with no returns" referred to 'Jarrows MK-7 formula'.

Are you familiar with serrapeptase? *http://www.serrapeptase.info/

Excerpt from article: Serrapeptase digests non-living tissue, blood clots, cysts, and arterial plaque and inflammation in all forms. The late German physician, Dr. Hans Nieper, used Serrapeptase to treat arterial blockage in his coronary patients. Serrapeptase protects against stroke and is reportedly more effective and quicker than EDTA Chelation treatments in removing arterial plaque. He also reports that Serrapeptase dissolves blood clots and causes varicose veins to shrink or diminish.
~~~
I've read several 'personal' reports of very positive results.
~~~
We just started taking 'SerraEzyme Mega Caps' - one capsule, twice daily. We take so many other supplements, thought we'd start with 2. Six daily are recommended for therapeutic levels, then two daily for maintenance. Enteric coated is best (to ensure maximum absorption in the small intestinal tract). SerraEzyme Mega Caps contain 40,000 IU's (IU's 'activity' available after stomach loss is 2,400,000). There's a comparison chart at this link:
*http://www.serrapeptase.info/brand.htm

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby Brian C. » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:48 am

Hi Fran, thank you for that info. I was unaware of the existence of serrapeptase. My endocrinologist runs a chelation clinic but has never mentioned this enzyme. I must find a suitable paper to send him :wink:

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby poohhel » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:44 pm

Just to make sure I understand... :?

Is the recommendation for SerraEzyme Mega Caps to replace OR supplement the Jarrows- MK7?

:wink: Helen
poohhel

Reply for Helen

Postby sos_group_owner » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:12 pm

Hello Helen,

Re: Is the recommendation for SerraEzyme Mega Caps to replace OR supplement the Jarrows- MK7?

No, I was just provided Brian with info about serrapeptase, an enzyme that is similar to chelation.

Jarrows- MK7 formula is a vitamin K supplement.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Re: Reply for Helen

Postby poohhel » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:20 pm

Thanks Fran... I am trying to keep this all straight. LOL.
poohhel

For Exercise try....

Postby bunnylady » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:32 pm

New fangled machine used in rehab clinics called the Power Plate- got mine at Costco- it will improve circulation and muscle tone- just stand on the power plate for soft or hard vibration- when you are recovering from heart sugury and side effects of statins it works great- With its help I was able to walk Disneyland for several hours each day- when I tired I rented a power chair- my muscles in my legs collapsed on me one day when I pushed too hard- they went asunder
go to *www.costco.com- click on Exercise equipment
bunnylady

Postby SusieO » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:38 am

Wow - without knowing that this thing really works I would be afraid to invest that much money with a price tag of well over $2,000. :o
SusieO

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs