And when our myopathy has healed...

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

And when our myopathy has healed...

Postby Brian C. » Wed May 30, 2007 7:56 am

...weight lifting will rejuvenate our mitochondria :

*http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=28085

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed May 30, 2007 1:16 pm

Brian: One of the things I like about this forum: it's like having a personal secretary open and review your mail and pass on to you only the interesting stuff. I enjoyed the article, and I got a kick out of the bio piece in the right margin that says the author "resigned from the American Bar Association with charges pending" - a good meal AND desert! Thanks!

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Brian C. » Wed May 30, 2007 1:20 pm

You're welcome :wink:

Yes "charges pending" really stimulates the appetite :lol:

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby adec » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:43 am

And yet another benefit to exercise, also in the news, it appears long workouts are very effective for raising good cholesterol.

=========================================
Thu May 31, 6:12 PM ET
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - People who want to boost their "good" HDL cholesterol levels with exercise will have to put in at least two hours of physical activity each week, an analysis of 25 studies shows.

You can read the story here:
*http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070531/hl_nm/workouts_cholesterol_dc
adec

Postby harley2ride » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:24 am

I don't believe this is true for Mitochondrial Myopathy. At least not accordiing to my MDA doc's. Rigorous excercise actually worsens the condition, perminently. If anyone knows any different, I would certainly welcome information.
harley2ride

Postby SusieO » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:29 am

[quote="harley2ride"]I don't believe this is true for Mitochondrial Myopathy. At least not accordiing to my MDA doc's. Rigorous excercise actually worsens the condition, perminently. If anyone knows any different, I would certainly welcome information.[/quote]

Harley I am in total agreement with you!
SusieO

Postby Ray Holder » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:46 pm

Most certainly not true for statin induced problems, where carnitine levels are affected.

Excess exercise will result in musle protein being used to fuel muscle energy, and the start of muscle wastage.

Exercise is good for non statin people, and could avoid heart problems.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby cjbrooksjc » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:33 pm

HArley, Brian, Susie, adec, et al: I'm sure the real truth lies somewhere between the stated exremes. Try a little exercise; if it debilitates you, reduce your efforts until you can do a little (short walks, etc.) and increase if you can without adverse results. There has to be some exertion in a life post-statins, at least for me. I will say this is just my opinion.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Brian C. » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:55 am

We must be very careful restrict ourselves to GENTLE exercise until our damaged muscles have fully healed. This basically means walking as much as possible but not briskly.

Zhan Zheung (janjong) static Chi Gong exercise can be very beneficial but I found that positions involving lifted arms brought back upper arm pain that persisted for days afterwards so I am awaiting the complete cessation of myopathic symptoms before I resume.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby SusieO » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:53 am

Yesterday I was at my chiropractor for an adjustment and he checks my leg strength each time. While I am lying face down he has me lift up one leg as far as I can and hold it for a few seconds before putting it back down and then the other leg.

Each time I do this about 6 hours later my legs start to get very weak and I have problems walking and keeping my balance.
SusieO

Postby harley2ride » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:32 pm

[quote="cjbrooksjc"]HArley, Brian, Susie, adec, et al: I'm sure the real truth lies somewhere between the stated exremes. Try a little exercise; if it debilitates you, reduce your efforts until you can do a little (short walks, etc.) and increase if you can without adverse results. There has to be some exertion in a life post-statins, at least for me. I will say this is just my opinion.

Regards,

Brooks[/quote]

I understand the principal behind what you are saying, but I still have to say it varies by what level of damage you have. For instance, I have a very sedentary job. Even with the little exertion I do (mostly just getting up and down from my chair a few times per day, and walking a little) and after 3 days of this, it is all I can do to walk at all. I've tried doing slanted pushups, lifting light weights, even just stretching, and all seem to do more damage than good. Hopefully this will work for some folks, and should work for some, but I doubt it works for all. With my disease, the wasting will never stop, no matter what I do. I just have to pace myself all of the time, so that I can still get around by the time the weekend rolls around.
harley2ride

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs