Questioning the �beatification� of statins

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Postby adec » Thu May 24, 2007 7:25 am

This was a letter to the editor published in the February 21, 2007 edition of the International Journal of Cardiology. The letter pretty much speaks for itself.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Luca Mascitelli, and Francesca Pezzetta
Feb 21st, 2007

To the Editor,

In recent times, there has been a growing belief that hydroxymethylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase inhibitors or statins should be considered as wonder drugs; in fact, they are described, for example, as the most successful pharmaceutical agents of all time [1], miracle drugs [2], or smart bombs [3]. We disagree with this �beatification� which might also be considered as counterproductive.
adec

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu May 24, 2007 12:19 pm

adec: Fascinating stuff! I particularly like the War reporting analogy. I guess the Statin war on cholesterol is akin to a pharmaceutical Viet Nam: all the favorable numbers inflated, the unfavorable unmentioned.

Many thanks for your recent posts.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Biologist » Thu May 24, 2007 1:41 pm

Well said on all counts, Brooks.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Brian C. » Thu May 24, 2007 1:55 pm

Brooks :

And terrible collateral damage inflicted on the cells

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Darrell » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:17 pm

This "Dr. Drug Rep" article explains a few things:
*www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/magazine/25memoir-t.html

Sample:
"We don’t know for sure, but one recent study indicates that at least 25 percent of all doctors in the United States receive drug money for lecturing to physicians or for helping to market drugs in other ways. This meant that I was about to join some 200,000 American physicians who are being paid by companies to promote their drugs."
Darrell

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:36 pm

Darell: I would say 25% is a euphemistic estimate to be euphemistic about it. Pharma reps refer to Drs. as 'product pushers', and it is a known, solid fact that our physicians are in line for extraordinary kickbacks if they push a particular drug or promote a particular manufacturer's drug(s) over its competitor, and I mean in the hundreds of thousands of $. This is big business; no mistake, and it is NOT illegal (tho it should be!).

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Ray Holder » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:44 am

You may like to see the following clip from a Rapid Response on the BMJ website today, a glimmer of hope for sanity.

BMJ Rapid response from Dr Tracy Monk, Vancouver 27 Nov ‘07
“Just as in the rest of medicine, we must pursue the solutions to quality problems in a way that does not blind us to harms . . . or delude us about the effectiveness of our efforts.â€
Ray Holder

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:42 pm

Ray. Thanks for the uplift. It's good to know some Phys practice for our benefit and not for the $$ involved: Bank for Bunk!

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs