A readable explanation of Carnitine derivitives

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

A readable explanation of Carnitine derivitives

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed May 23, 2007 5:06 pm

Ray, et al: This url will take you to an easily understood write-up on the various types of Carnitine and their effects on the body. Remove the asterisk * of course.

*http://carnitine.libraryonhealth.com/

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Brian C. » Thu May 24, 2007 2:25 am

Thank you for sharing that Brooks, it's another step along the path of understanding. The mention of D-Ribose is interesting, I don't think this has been mentioned in this forum so I'll be having a sniff around the internet for info after breakfast.

I take both the Acetyl and Propionyl (expensive!) forms of Carnitine.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Ray Holder » Fri May 25, 2007 5:46 am

Thanks Brooks
I had nearly finished my posting and it vanished, so will try again.

I have tried D ribose, it is a kind of sugar, needed to help in the process of reforming ATP (adenosine triphosphate), the active material, from ADP, the diphosphate, after ATP has given up its energy. Dr Sinatra, in a transcribed interview with Dr Passwater, aqvailable on his website, uses it in conjunction with Q10, carnitine etc. I am afraid it did nothing for me, perhaps I didn't take enough, as large quantities may be needed, but I felt no benefit at all.

I had been going to mention Taurine, which the carnitine website mentions. I take a capsule on a few occasions when my energy level seems to be down, and in a few days I feel more like normal. The W Australia Poilo website has an article on it, under the title "Carnitine sparing", suggesting use for a year to improve conditions for carnitine in the liver, but I have not been able to discover how it works, and only take it for a few days to see if it perks me up, I have just had a capsule for each of the last 4 days. Their website is *www,upnaway.com.au/poliowa, and search for carnitine.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby Brian C. » Fri May 25, 2007 5:56 am

Thank you Ray. From your observations and Dr Langsjoen's muted response reported by Brooks it sounds like D-Ribose may not be a worthwhile investment.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Brian C. » Fri May 25, 2007 6:07 am

I see that taurine is synthesised from cysteine. I am already taking 2 x 600mg N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine per diem. Do you think this might obviate the need for additional taurine supplementation Ray?

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Ray Holder » Fri May 25, 2007 6:13 am

Sorry Brian, can't help you, I have not been able to find out how it works. The only other thing I know about it is that cats find it essential for heart health, and it is put into cat food.

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby Brian C. » Fri May 25, 2007 6:29 am

OK, thanks Roy
Apparently taurine deficiency causes feline blindness.

Brian.
Brian C.

NAC

Postby JanNelson » Tue May 29, 2007 10:20 pm

Eye health is improved by N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC) by itself. Spouse had glaucoma with eye pressures of 32 and 35. He has taken two 600 mg of NAC each morning and evening since the diagnosis in 1995. His pressure now at 12 and 13. This took several years with pressure dropping about 3 pts every 6 months. The only time there was an increase in pressure was the year he stopped taking the NAC just to see if it was needed anymore and his pressures jumped to 18. Back to NAC and back to the lowest (and normal) pressure.

Thanks for the referral to the carnitine site... very informative.

Jan
JanNelson

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs