niacin versus non-flushing niacin

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

niacin versus non-flushing niacin

Postby JOANIEGIRL » Thu May 10, 2007 6:14 pm

I just read an article stating that the non-flushing niacin does not work as well as the regular niacin which causes flushing in some people. Does anyone out there know if there is any truth to this statement? The article said that the non-flushing niacin takes a different pathway in the body which negates it's benefits. :)
JOANIEGIRL

Postby Brian C. » Fri May 11, 2007 1:58 am

Could you give us reference to that article Joaniegirl?
Thanks

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby JOANIEGIRL » Mon May 14, 2007 10:46 am

Brian,

I'm sorry but I can't remember where I read this, but it was within the past two weeks. I get some newsletters from Dr. Weil and also the University of California At Berkley newsletter plus we have a dr.s column in the local newspaper that I read every day. I will try to do a follow up on this and find out the truth. Am going to a heart seminar by a cardiologist on Wednesday and you can be sure I will ask him that question. I am taking 500mg of the non-flushing niacin daily along with co-enzyme Q-10, B 6 and B 12 and also a multi vitamin and 1000mg of C. My cholesterol in 3 months went down about 20% so it has to be doing something.

I would really be interested in hearing from anyone out there who knows about flushing versus non-flushing niacin.

JOANIEGIRL :)
JOANIEGIRL

Postby Brian C. » Mon May 14, 2007 11:11 am

OK, thanks Joaniegirl.
Don't expect to get more than the party line out of that cardiologist, they're part of the problem :wink:

Brian.
Brian C.

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs