A Mayo Clinic Cardiologist says...

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

A Mayo Clinic Cardiologist says...

Postby SusieO » Wed May 02, 2007 7:08 pm

Rhabdomyolysis from statin use: What are the symptoms?

Mayo Clinic cardiologist Gerald Gau, M.D., and colleagues answer select questions from readers.

[b]How do you know if you have rhabdomyolysis from statin use? What are the symptoms?[/b]
[u][i]Answer[/i][/u]

Rhabdomyolysis is a rare but potentially life-threatening side effect of statins. The most common signs and symptoms of rhabdomyolysis include:

Severe muscle aching — in which all your muscles may hurt and be tender to the touch
Muscle weakness
Dark or cola-colored urine from muscle breakdown products

At high doses, statin medications can impair production of certain proteins involved in muscle metabolism and function. This may result in muscle pain and tenderness (statin myopathy). If you notice muscle aching — but it's not severe — you should stop taking the medication and contact your doctor. Muscle aching usually goes away within a couple of weeks after stopping the statin drug.

In severe cases, statins may cause muscle cells to break down (rhabdomyolysis). If you have signs and symptoms of rhabdomyolysis, stop taking the medication immediately and seek medical treatment without delay.

The risk of rhabdomyolysis increases with the dose of statins. In addition, certain drugs when taken in combination with statins increase the risk rhabdomyolysis. These include:

Gemfibrozil (Lopid)
Niacin at doses greater than 1.5 grams a day
Verapamil
Amiodarone
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&[b]END OF ARTICLE[/b]&&&&&&&&&&&&&

What really caught my attention to this article is the fact that I am on Verapamil and have been taking it for about 17 years (yes, while I took Lipitor) and I also was on Verapamil when I tried to take Gemfibrozil (Lopid) for about a week and also took Verapamil while I took a multi-vitamin that had Niacin in it.

No wonder why I continue to have problems - the doctors keep telling me "your weakness should have gone away once you stopped the Lipitor"!
I have printed this article and will take it with me the next time I see my cardio doc in August.
SusieO

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs