Farnesol "able to rescue effects caused by statins"

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Farnesol "able to rescue effects caused by statins"

Postby Brian C. » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:56 am

While researching I found this sentence at

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prenylation :

"...farnesol has been shown to be able to rescue effects caused by statins..."

Further "wikipediaing" reveals

"Farnesol is a natural organic compound which is a sequesterpene alcohol ... present in many essential oils..."

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farnesol

Unfortunately no supporting references are given :(

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby poohhel » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:42 pm

Brian: the sentence quoted was only a small little tidbit thrown into a discussion on farnesol which is used primarily for fragrancing candles, perfumes, etc...Farnesol is also used in cigarettes and pesticides... :wink: I would need a lot more evidence then that 1 sentence to convince me that Farnesol will help my statin induced problems. :) and you are right there is not much evidence on that subject. I will keep searching though and if I find anything I will post.
poohhel

Postby Brian C. » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:04 am

Actually the sentence occurs in the discussion of protein prenylation ;) I was looking that up since one of the products of the HMG-CoA reductase pathway inhibited by statins are the prenylated proteins. Ubiquinon/CoQ-10 is being thoroughly researched by Langsjoen and others but I am not (yet) aware of much in the way of investigation into the effects of depletetion of prenylated proteins. Nor indeed of two other affected products of that pathway, dolichol and heme a.
I'm hoping someone who has the relevant background will take up the ball on this :)

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby poohhel » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:13 pm

[quote="Brian C."] I'm hoping someone who has the relevant background will take up the ball on this :) [/quote]

Brian I agree with you immensely on this...anything to help rescue the damage and get back to feeling some what normal. Personally I would even take 50% better at this point. The meds and the physical therapy is not doing anything for me right not but causing more pain and making me a walking zombie.
poohhel

Postby Biologist » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:17 pm

Brian,

I did a little looking tonight regarding heme (where like you mentioned, at least the "a" variety of it is inhibited by statins) and found the following which may explain (parts of) Alzheimer's disease (and perhaps similar statin-related pathologies).

*http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/03/060314231531.htm

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Brian C. » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:43 am

Sheesh! That report rings alarm bells! :shock:
Thanks for finding that Biologist, I shall make reference to it in my "Layman's Guide to the Science" that I am preparing for xrn's website.

Brian.
Brian C.

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs