A new information website about statins has opened. :)

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Info for 'xrn'

Postby sos_group_owner » Wed May 02, 2007 11:22 pm

Hi 'xrn',

I created my 'statin info' website using 'freewebs'.
Beyond 7 pages there is a fee, but very reasonable for the tools provided.
$16 USD for one year using features: multiple file uploads and unlimited pages. You do not need to use html coding; tools provide all the formatting.
Check out my site at:
*http://www.freewebs.com/stopped_our_statins/

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby Brian C. » Thu May 03, 2007 2:27 am

Fran, didn't know about your website. All I can say is WOW! :)

Brian.
Brian C.

Re: Info for 'xrn'

Postby xrn » Thu May 03, 2007 3:21 am

Hi Fran. :)

I knew of your site, having been pointed there by another person. It is very nicely done and to be admired. I can see that it represents far more work than I could easily produce in the few days since the birth of my site. :)

Within the sites that are already on the web, your site is a beacon of well-presented material. I live for the day when my site building skills can match it but I will settle for being just 1/10th as good. We should consider exchanging links but only after I have had another week or so of tending to a live web-site. :cool:

I have chosen a different route for reasons that are only clear when I can express my thoughts clearly. I have bought the rights to the domain name, 'talkingstatins.com', having checked and found that many domain names with the word 'statin' in them have already been reserved by pharmaceutical companies and pharmacy chain stores. I had to run more than one search to find a name that had not been taken. The taken names are all empty sites, which suggests something is afoot.

You will probably have noticed that there is no www in my site address. It is behind a very secure system that can only be accessed by sftp or ssh protocols. My paranoia about the possibility of attempts to take the site down or to create DOS chaos is responsible. I will also want to code a database for SQL interrogation and to run several server side scripts that are not usually permitted from a site that hosts other websites.

Speed of access is yet another issue and having a clean and fast to navigate site was a priority. There is much more to come and my site is really just displaying markers of future intent. Owning the domain also ensures that it cannot be bought by those with 'other interests' and my control is 100%.

Kind regards,
xrn
xrn

Postby cjbrooksjc » Thu May 03, 2007 11:23 am

Fran: I found your site very helpful and easy to use. I didn't know about it and am wondering how long it has been up. Thank you for taking the time and using your energies to do this. I have a few people to point in your direction who are in the Statin toilet.

xrn: Interesting - the findings about domain names. What a bunch of sneaky buggers. No wonder you are being cautious. This is starting to sound like a 'future shock' novel; too bad it's non-fiction; and too bad WE are main characters in the story.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Reply for Brian, xrn & Brooks

Postby sos_group_owner » Thu May 03, 2007 11:21 pm

Hello All,

I started my website almost 3 years ago when I found the 'files' section of Yahoo groups to be a very tedious resource for group members. I also wanted to reach those that don't want to participate in a support group, but desperately need some direction.

xrn: Yes, exchanging/sharing links is an excellent idea.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Re: Reply for Brian, xrn & Brooks

Postby xrn » Fri May 04, 2007 11:22 am

Thanks Fran. I will be in touch as soon as my site is 'ready'. :)

Kind regards,
xrn
xrn

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sun May 20, 2007 8:44 pm

xrn: your site is filling in nicely. I sent you a simple form (proposed) and will be glad to change it to serve your purposes. Let me know if there is something specific you'd like me to spend some time working on; if you have a list of 'To-Dos', send that to me, and I'll see if there is something there that I can work on for you. I have a list of relative URLs if you want that; whatever you need. I have NO pride of authorship; you may use, change, dump, etc. as you see fit. Just let me know, and I'll bore a few holes for you.

Regards,

John
cjbrooksjc

Postby xrn » Mon May 21, 2007 5:20 pm

Thanks John. I sent you an e-mail. It was a great job, thank you. I am making a lot of changes to the site and as soon as I can, I will put the page up and credit you. Sssssh... don't say anything to Brian because I still have his stuff to get up too. I was away at the weekend but I am now back. ;)

Kind regards,
xrn (Jeff)
xrn

Previous

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs