post-nasal drip issues

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

post-nasal drip issues

Postby mgguy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:50 pm

Has anyone ever linked post-nasal drip and throat mucus to statin use? My ear-nose-throat doctor says no way, but it seems like this could be a problem as a result of neuropathic damage that can affect various parts of the body, and I would think the sinus/mucus membranes. I developed this about 3 years after starting statins, and it continues even now after 3 months after stopping statins (along with burning/stinging in feet and sometimes hands). Any information anyone has on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
mgguy

Postby Brian C. » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:43 am

I suffer from this too - but have done for as long as I remember. Certainly for many years before statin use.

I take Robitussin Chesty Cough Medicine first thing in the morning and last thing at night for the Guaiphenesin.
I also irrigate my sinuses with warm saline solution most mornings using a neti pot.
I get relief throughout the day by continually drinking tea.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Biologist » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:35 pm

If anything, quitting statins has been good for my sinuses.

Like Brian, I have had post nasal drip for many years -- I remember it in high school. It has cleared up a good bit in the last few years for some reason but a stuffy and stopped-up nose routine and facial and head pressure has remained as nearly an everyday thing until recent weeks. I go on and off being "addicted" to nose sprays (e.g., Afrin) for months at a time to sleep better at night

However, after several months off statins, I noticed I started buying and using much fewer decongestants (the little red pills -- Sudafed and the imitators which I almost popped like candy). Since many or most sinus problems have a heavy inflammation component, and since statins certainly effect inflammation systems -- both positively and negatively -- it is very believable to me that being off statins could easily have had an effect on my sinus condition. For the positive in my case.

On the other hand, maybe it is just a coincidence. I don't really know. Maybe it will blow up next month for no apparent reason. I did reach the conclusion that there is no major allergy component in it for me as while others recently have been in agony due to pollen, I have been at my best sinus-wise.

I bought this book about a year ago on the recommendation of a family member with similar problems. I am glad I read it. I know more than I did about the whole biology of sinus problems. But for me, the single best advice was what Brian discussed

*http://www.amazon.com/Harvard-Medical-School-Healing-Sinuses/dp/0071444696/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-8430750-6327042?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176681704&sr=8-1

We both do the rinse thing. I just use warm salt water from a spray bottle that use to hold contact lense disinfection solution (now I have Lasiks corrected vision). I just suck up the saline into it after heating up some in a microwave bowl. Do it at least twice a day. Good investment of time. Sometimes the clearing up is marked. Other times it's just not as impressive, but a good habit to get into for sinus problems. Glad I found out about it recently.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Brian C. » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:29 am

I believe my troubles are due to a deviated septum. My GP did send me for surgery but the surgeon assessed the deviation too mild to warrant an operation (National Health Service). I think he may have been put off by the fact that I had had a cardiac arrest while undergoing an angiogram...

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Biologist » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:49 pm

Both Brain and I indicated warming the rinse water. I have recently been using cool water and believe I like it better. My sinuses remain better over the last months and it is likely a combination of being off statins and the rinse.

I do not have time to research the following but have no immediate need to as I am taking 5 or more grams of Vitamin C everyday anyway: I have read that it is a natural antihistamine -- and that may be helpful to cut back on post nasal drip (which I use to have for years). I started doing the Vitamin C about the time I noticed improvement in my sinuses. So maybe it has an effect on my situation too.

Just a word about one of the differences found in some vitamins: I believe I have read that C has a half life of less than an hour or so (and therefore it is recommended by some to take it throughout the day), but that Vitamin D has a "half life" of weeks -- if the term is even applicable at all. You can take a huge amount once a month or a smaller amount (e.g., 2000 - 3000 IU) daily. The stuff is stored up and dispensed over time. C on the other hand is processed out pretty quick.

Again, don't "chip all this in stone" as being the truth, but it probably is, or is pretty close.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Brian C. » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:34 am

I have been taking Vit C for several years (2.5-3g three times a day) but unfortunately this has not ameliorated the problem.
I find a cool/cold douche uncomfortable, even painful.

I have been speculating that the problem may exacerbated by the presence of amalgam fillings :?:

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Biologist » Sat May 05, 2007 5:21 pm

"I have been speculating that the problem
may exacerbated by the presence of
amalgam fillings"
--Brian C.

Brian,

I have been "systematically" removing amalgam fillings for the past several years. If any tooth needs additional work, out comes the mercury-based stuff. And certainly no new mercury filling in many years. Mercury just ain't no good.

Call 1-800-877-2447 or email mail@vrp.com and see if you can get on a mailing list for the "Vitamin Research New" monthly newsletter. If not, order something from them and you will start receiving it -- that's how I started getting it. (Brooks -- if you read this post -- did you start getting it after you ordered your Idebenone?) *wwwvrp.com It is pretty good information. Mercury fillings were discussed this time -- lots of studies cited. The article on Iodine deficiency was good too. 95% of Americans are deficient according to many cited studies. I will likely start supplementing it. Also a good job was done with an article on the association with dental health and heart disease.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Biologist » Sat May 05, 2007 5:23 pm

Should have read: "Vitamin Research News"

Biologist
Biologist

Postby cjbrooksjc » Sat May 05, 2007 11:05 pm

Biologist: No, I didn't, but I run a pretty tight ship, and my system probably stiff-armed the news letter. I did add it (VRP) to my list of acceptable adverts and will get the newsletter in the future if one is sent. I do like the site and feel they provide an impartial view.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby xrn » Sun May 06, 2007 12:52 am

Brian, you are a master of understatement. ;)

May have been put off... MAY have been put off! (said in the sort of whining voice that is known an loved by all Python fans)

Are you out of your crust? He would have been looking for an excuse to play golf (or some such) and he gets presented with a patient who has this annoying propensity to die, while undergoing surgery... heaven sent, in more ways than one. His single thought process, as he asked his caddy to ready his golf bag, was Yesssssss!

Kind regards,
xrn
xrn

Postby Brian C. » Sun May 06, 2007 1:10 am

xrn : :lol:

Must admit I didn't take much persuading to forgo the pleasures of surgery :wink:

I am arranging to have all my amalgams removed and replaced with composite fillings and porcelain crowns.
Accompanied by chelation of course.

Brian.
Brian C.

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs