Migraines, Statins, and the FDA

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Migraines, Statins, and the FDA

Postby Dee » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:49 pm

I have noticed that some on the forum relate migraines to statin use.

Today, I find 2 seemingly unrelated articles about migraine treatment. The first article tells of a "new" migraine drug...baloney!!! Just two older drugs combined so the Pharma industry can get a new patent and charge more $$$ for their "discovery".

*http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/news/20070403/new-combo-migraine-drug-works (REMOVE ASKERISK)

And then I find that suddenly the old stand by treatment for migraine (Ergotomine) has not been approved for migraine treatment in 15 drugs that contain it. Surely the ONLY migraine drug that works well for me will be in the group that has been pulled from the market.

*http://www.webmd.com/content/article/132/118286?src=RSS_PUBLIC (REMOVE ASKERISK)

Anyone else see the old cheap treatment vs. the new expensive treatment connection?

The Baboons running the FDA literally make me sick.
Dee

Migraines

Postby Scared by Big Pharm » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:30 am

Patents must be close to running out on Imitrex and the other triptans...so now will market to death these new wonder drugs.

As a migraine sufferer for 20+ years, I have given up on the triptans as they cause rebound headaches...isn't that convenient for BIG PHARM..the more you need, well, the more you'll need!
And I'd check to see if ALeve (component in the new combo drug) causes rebounds...

I swear my neck spasms are related to my overuse of Imitrex. I have gone cold-turkey for about a year now. Use some herbal preventative (Migravent) and 5HTP and advil, motrin or bayer when I get really bad.
Working with chiro to try and get my neck issues taken care of...developed neck spasms with Imitrex use and continues now even after a year off. Better, but not 100% gone yet..

All of these drugs carry side effects too. My own dr. said she'd be curious to see how my healthy heart would be at age 60 after being on the triptans...Nice! That was a wake up call for me....If she had told me before they could damage my heart, I would of just continued to live with the headaches.

Granted, aspiring and motrin can probably do stuff too, but damage my heart?

Drs. give me a giant pain...they are so in bed with BIG PHARM it is sickening...
:twisted:
Scared by Big Pharm

migraines

Postby Scared by Big Pharm » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:34 am

I love this:

Side effects were relatively rare, but they were twice as common in the
Trexima group as in the placebo group.

Trexima had an "acceptable and well-tolerated" side effect profile,
write the researchers. A similar proportion of patients taking Trexima and
Imitrex reported side effects.

But they don't say what the side effects were! I noticed that the naproxen by itself can also lead to heart related issues...so now they are combining two drugs that can cause heart problems??? That is smart...

Hmmm, do they make a "heart" drug too? Win-WIn again??

I'd tread very carefully with this one!
Scared by Big Pharm

Postby SusieO » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:27 am

A year ago I suffered a concussion. As a result of that I was blessed with awful migraines. I was given so many meds to try (some on a daily basis to prevent the migraine - but made mine worse) and some to take when the headache started. Nothing helped and my migraines were increasing as the doc increased the meds.

I went to a chiropractor in early January and have been almost migraine-free since the end of January! :D My only problem that is still left is loud high-pitched noises still bring on a migraine that will last for about 2 days i.e. organ music at church does it to me every time or being in a room where a live band is playing.
SusieO

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs