Will everyone please sign this global petition to WHO!

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Will everyone please sign this global petition to WHO!

Postby xrn » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:50 pm

I have begun a new petition at the following URL... (don't forget to remove the asterisk before pasting the URL into your web browser)

*http://www.gopetition.com/online/11757.html

The difference with this ePetition is that it is truly global and there are no restrictions on time nor are there any restrictions on who can sign it. I have made all of the information gathering fields optional (any information given will not result in abuse) and I encourage those who wish to sign the petition (hopefully everyone) to add a comment for the target (The World Health Organisation) because each signatory is permitted to add 500 words of their own.

The management of this ePetition is different from the UK one I have started in that updates and changes can be made at a later stage.
The text of the petition, to the World Health Organisation, follows...

"We, the undersigned, call on the World Health Organisation to initiate a full and impartial, global investigation into the damage caused by therapeutic doses of all available statins, for the treatment of all forms of hypercholesterolaemia. There are far too many casualties of statin therapy for them all to be statistically insignificant. We further call for the investigation to be free from pharmaceutical company sponsorship, to avoid the risk of taint."

P...L...E...A...S...E will *everyone* who sees this post, take a couple of minutes out to sign the petition and also add their own comments. This is a chance for each person on this site who has been damaged, or who knows of family members or friends who have been damaged, to make a significant mark on the face of history.

It is long past the time to get YOUR own voices heard in the right places. Thank you for your participation.

Kind regards,
xrn
xrn

Postby bucho » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:55 pm

Done. It was quick and easy to do. I included a comment regarding my experience, as you suggested. (It took less time than writing most of my past posts on this site -- even the quick replies!)

A million thanks to you xrn for doing this.
bucho

Postby xrn » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:28 pm

No, it is me who should be thanking you, bucho. I was able to avoid getting sucked into statin therapy but I am still incensed at the cavalier way I was treated when asking for clarification from my General medical practitioner.

As I undertook more research, it struck me as obvious that something is wrong with the way bad news about statins is apparently buried, supressed or ignored and 'good' news about statins is praised to the heavens.

I would like know why Pfizer have not commented on the unexpected deaths that were caused by their phase 3 clinical trial of the compound atorvastatin/torcetrapib, which was halted by the external monitor in December 2006. Will they compensate the relatives of the people who were apparently killed by the drug compound under clinical trial?

Money does not compensate anyone for the loss of a loved one, especially where the death was unnecessary. I believe that making a lot of noise to the WHO, is a good preliminary step to having the underlying rationale for statin therapy; examined by competent people who are not on the payroll of a pharmaceutical company.

What is really good about this petition (as you, bucho, have discovered) is that you can say whatever you feel you can get down in 500 words. The more people who take the time to add their comments, the stronger will be the impact of the final document that is sent to the WHO. I will work now to make links with other anti-statin campaigners and expose these issues to the oxygen of publicity.

Sadly, as of this moment, there have been 31 views of this post and only 3 signatures are on the petition. I conclude from that fact that many people are unprepared to put their name to a document that may help them, while possibly preventing others from coming to harm.

I was hoping for a much better response rate. There were two signatories that came directly from this forum and my own. Ah well... we'll give it a while to settle in and see what happens. Goodnight, bucho, and thank you once again for your welcome support. :)

Kind regards,
xrn
xrn

Postby Brian C. » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:40 am

I have signed and it was quick and painless :)
I strongly urge all forum readers to sign the petition and support xrn in his sterling endeavour in the fight for truth and openness about statin therapy.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby xrn » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:17 am

Thank you, Brian. I would be a little happier to see more people sign up. A two minute trip to the petition site is all that is required, if one does not want to use the 500 words to say anything in addition.

There is absolutely no need to leave any personal details such as email addresses and one could use a pseudonym if one really wanted to. The numbers of unique signatures are verified by the originating IP address.

With so many people on this site having an important story to tell (and it is a story that needs to be heard) I am at loss to explain the reluctance of spacedoc denizens to sign up to the petition. This is one case where there is strength in numbers and 51 viewings with 3 signatures does not bode well... if that really is a reliable predictor of the uptake rates, which can then be extrapolated across the spacedoc site.

Even a party political TV broadcast in the UK (duller than ditch-water) would have generated far more interest.

:(

Kind regards,
Jeff
xrn

Postby Brian C. » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:40 am

Come on folks. I just gave Name and Country.
I also chose the option to write a 500 word precis :wink:

I know xrn and I are just Limeys but ...... :D

I dunno :roll:

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Liz » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:36 am

[quote="Brian C."]Come on folks. I just gave Name and Country.
I also chose the option to write a 500 word precis :wink:

I know xrn and I are just Limeys but ...... :D

I dunno :roll:

Brian.[/quote] :roll: I have signed up no problems, thanks so much for all the work you put into helping people and giving us a voice to speak up with, good wishes from Yorkshire, England and Liz x
Liz

Postby xrn » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:41 am

Well, I certainly cannot stop being a Limey and I would hope that it would never be an issue . ;)

OTOH, none of us can stop being human either and I had hoped that the issue would have easily transcended our various national boundaries. What are the people (who frequent the spacedoc forums, and more particularly the statins forum) afraid of? Throughout my lifetime (almost 6 decades) I have never seen and issue that can be resolved by doing nothing. :?: :?: :?:

Kind regards,
xrn

p.s. ePetiton update... there have been 64 views of the thread thus far and the petiton has now gathered 3 signatures, in addition to my own. That leaves the base percentage of thread readers (who have gone on to sign up to the petition) at 1.92%!!! I think we can agree that such a low percentage of support is more than a little disappointing and I find it frustrating; to boot.

I can provide a lot of answers to a lot of questions but I cannot do much about apathy. :( :( :(
xrn

Postby Ray Holder » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:25 am

Hi Jeff
One more on the list.

Some publicity is needed to let a wider public become able to see and sign, I wonder if someone with a newspaper column like Dr le Fanu might be persuaded to give his support?

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby xrn » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:08 am

I have managed to gather a few signatures on the UK petition after speaking wth Dr Uffe Ravnskof, who agreed to putting the UK ePetition link on Thincs and his own website.

I have written twice to James Le Fanu, without reply and twice to Macolm Kendrick without reply. I will write again. I am going to direct as much asttention and publicity to this global petition, as possible. I prefer it to the UK PM's office e-Petition (although I still want people to sign up to that one) in that I could configure the petition to only ask for personal data as an option. The IP address is used to validate that each of the signatories IP addresses are genuinely different.

I also like the fact that the written detail can be altered at any point, to reflect changes in circumstances that may take place. It is a really great idea to let each petitioner have 500 words to explain their signing of the petition.

I continue to be deeply concerned by the lack of responses from this particular forum's members. Currently things stand at 88 views and just 5 signatures.

I find that I keep asking myself how it is that so many people can relate their tales of abject misery and woe (in the statins forum on spacedoc)and yet they appear to be unable to sign an electronic document... that will eventually be used to bring relief to all people who were damged by statins. (either by a better understanding of statin biochemistry and pharmaco-dynamics or a point blank refusal to let the pharmaceutical industry set the public health agenda to suit themselves, ever again.

We could see an end to the dreadfully shoddy (pharmaceutical company mediated) science of Framingham and also use the opportunity to remove big pharma's finger from every single health pie... at a national level. These are potential benefits thatsurely must be worth two minutes of anybody's time... no?

Kind regards,
xrn
xrn

Postby carbuffmom » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:25 am

I have also signed the petition and posted my commentary. It's easy. Let's everyone do it. Thanks for doing it, Jeff. DEB
carbuffmom

Postby xrn » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:18 am

Thank you for your time and your valuable input, Deb. :) You are most welcome to any help which I am able to render from this distance (across the pond).

Kind regards,
xrn (aka Jeff)

current status: 104 unique thread views and a rather pathetic total of just 6 signatures... :(

Is there nothing that will persuade, or encourage, the other 98 thread viewers to sign the petition? are you not here because you have been badly treated by the drug companies and the medical practitioners.

P... L... E... A... S...E sign. It is not a lot of time out of your lives and you have the perfect opportunity to make your voices heard and to bring about a much needed change. It feel that it is acutely embarrasing, to act on what I heard people saying, only to find that there is a dispiriting lack of interest from the community that have lost the most through statin 'therapy'. :oops: :oops: :oops:
xrn

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:23 pm

xrn: OK. I'm on board, added my commentary, and sent a sign-up recommendation to a friend (and considered sending one to my PCP). I feel much better about our chances within this venue. I CAN'T UNDERSTAND why people won't sign up?! Still, I just got to this today; maybe it's just normal lag time. My hardiest congrats for your efforts. Thank you so much for your persistence. Here's hoping you become a Royal pain in the ass, no, wait... that should be: a pain in the Royal...

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Jude Franey » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:39 pm

I just signed up and left comments.

EVERYONE else should do the same.

*http://www.gopetition.com/online/11757.html
Jude Franey

Postby Cat Mom2 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:42 pm

I was the 10th signature on the first day! I think that is great for the first day of it being up, all we have to do is pass it around and it will multiply fast. I have emailed the link to 2 people that I know had problems on statins.
Cat Mom2

Postby catspajamas » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:15 pm

I gladly signed that petition....added a brief list of symptoms zocor caused...I did include that Mayo clinic found no other reason for my symptoms...just put my name and state/country.....
catspajamas

Postby poohhel » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:54 pm

I have signed the petition and forwarded it to some friends that I recently found had-had similar concerns with statins...

Thank you xrn for taking the time to get this out there!!! :D
poohhel

Postby xrn » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:30 am

Thank you, Brooks. I am much obliged to you for being one of the early adopters. ;)

The sign up rate is a complete surprise to me. I would have expected a percentage take up rate somewhere in the high 80s... as a percentage of this particular forum's readership. Currently... we are at 603 views and 14 signatures. That equates to just 2.32% of every person who has viewed the request to sign up.

Even with just the few people that have managed to make it over to the petition site and sign up, reviewing the problems that have been left as 500 word corollaries to their signature, I was struck by how powerful (and fair warning) is the documenting of personal experience.

I am not trying to suggest that the opinion of 14 people is enough to sway anyone but anyone who retains the powers of reason that they were born with, would be able to see that something is amiss.

Kind regards,
xrn
xrn

Postby xrn » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:41 am

Thank you, poohhel. It is great that you have forwarded it to some friends to. The statin gravy-train has to be stopped and your thoughtful assistance is most welcome.

Kind regards,
xrn
xrn

Postby SusieO » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:52 am

Signed and left comments.
SusieO

Next

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs