Could statins accelerate the onset of macular degeneration?

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Could statins accelerate the onset of macular degeneration?

Postby Ray Holder » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:24 am

I have an acquaintance who has recently lost a lot of her vision through macular degeneration, her age is probably in the region of 80. I realise that this is a common failing at that age, but I learned this week that she is taking statins.

As the reduction of CoenzymeQ10 with age is the most likely cause of age related degenerative diseases, could it be that statins bring forward the date on which such a disease starts to show its effects.

A search on Google brings up several articles where Q10 with other nutrients, such as Omega 3 and acetyl carnitine have been shown to help a little in MD, so there seems to be some association, and it emphasises the need to supplement with Q10 if one is to take a statin, but why take one at age 80??

Ray
Ray Holder

Postby carbuffmom » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:55 am

My father-in-law is 83 and has mcacular degeneration. He takes Lipitor. I have tried unsuccessfully to get him to give it up. I will mention the Q10, acetyl, and Omega 3 supplementation to him. Perhaps it will slow down the progression. As always, thanks for the great info.
carbuffmom

Postby Biologist » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:09 am

Ray,

My bet is that you are onto something there.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Darrell » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:30 pm

An paper titled "Statins and the Long-term Risk of Incident Age-related Macular Degeneration: The Blue Mountains Eye Study" came to the conclusion that:

"Statin use was not significantly associated with overall early AMD incidence, but was protective for indistinct soft drusen, a key late AMD precursor lesion."

It was based on a ten year study of over three thousand patients.

Source: American Journal of Ophthalmology, 2007 Apr; 143(4):685-7.

Abstract:
*www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=17386278&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum
Darrell

Postby Biologist » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:01 pm

Good hypothesis, Ray.

Good find, Darrell.

I withdraw my bet.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby adec » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:00 pm

I definitely believe there needs to be more than just one study to increase the awareness for the potential host of numerous interrelated statin effects in general. So many functions are impaired (and enzymes, nutrients and vitamins vital to human life are depleted) by the broad inhibition of cholesterol synthesis.

Just at face value, my mom's eye health: glaucoma, floaters, and even hearing problems seem to significantly *coincide* with her being administered statins. And that all of these disorders have improved drastically since being away from statins (1.5 years now) seems very *curious* indeed. Age-related disorders do not get reversed this dramatically, much less the currently almost irreversible diagnosed symptoms of Alzheimer's. As far as macular degeneration, I certainly wouldn't count it out yet.
adec

Postby adec » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:09 pm

Oops I pressed post too soon. That should have continued to read, "As far as macular degeneration, I certainly wouldn't count it out yet. I've also seen several studies that imply statins can actually prevent and reverse Alzheimer's. :)"

By the way, there's also recent data from the Cardiovascular Health Study that suggests a *slight* increased risk of statin-related macular degeneration. As the study also concludes, this is still a subject very much open to debate.

*http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/521764
adec

Postby bunnylady » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:30 pm

Since I stopped taking Statins I have developed Tinnuitis, floaters and zapping eye pain that smarts so bad I have to close my eyes and rub away the tears- I think you are on to something Ray!
bunnylady

Postby Ray Holder » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:29 am

I have just seen this posting on the BMJ website. it seems others have the same thought. The clip follows---

Should you tell patients about beneficial treatments that they cannot have? Yes
Marcus (21 April 2007) [Full text] [PDF]
Should you tell patients about beneficial treatments that they cannot have? Yes
Take the case of macular degeneration 22 April 2007

Celine M Aranjo,
Senior G.P.
NSW, Australia 2208
Send response to journal:
Re: Take the case of macular degeneration

Someone (age unknown) is going blind because of macular degeneration (MD) The treatment is available but at his own expense not at the cost of the NHS. This is the story so far. How many more are there with similar stories?

Is there anyone who is interested in the causes of macular degeneration, also occurring in the 'aged' other than 'age-related macular degeneration'(AMD)?

In my limited experience, there are many 'aged' persons who have been prescribed and are taking regular doses of statins. Post-marketing surveys proclaim in no uncertain terms that statins can and do cause peripheral neuropathies, and is it not the fact that retinal neurons are the peripheral ends of the optic nerves?

It is to be wondered epidemiologically, how many AMD cases are taking a statin drug.

Furthermore, would it not be prudent to stop the offending drug and await regeneration of the neurons, if no irreversible damage has occurred? And what then if the new treatment is carried out at great expense, and the offending etiological factor has not been recognised and stopped?

Competing interests: None declared
Ray
Ray Holder

Yes, statins may interfere with macular building nutrients

Postby NurseJudy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:15 am

I just read an article from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Nutrients stored in the macula are the carotenoids lutein and xeazanthin. These nutrients disappear if one does not consume them, and the macula loses its central vision. The article ends by saying that these nutrients are carried in the body by HDL and LDL cholesterol! So why do we call LDL bad? It carries other nutrients as well. Go figure!

*http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/85/3/762
NurseJudy

Postby Brian C. » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:27 am

Statins, by "putting the squeeze" on our body's mevalonate pathway, cause cell malnutrition and death. This mimics the effect of ageing hence accelerating the process. It follows therefore that statinated patients should experience early onset of problems associated with old age. This seems to be borne out by the experiences shared here at spacedoc forum.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby catspajamas » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:42 pm

At the same time I was having "nerve" problems with zocor I was diagnosed with cataracts(its been proven statins accelerate the growth of cataracts ( had 1 out, the other stopped growing after discontinuing statins)...but I was also diagnosed with glaucoma for which I will have to take drops the rest of my life....I asked the eye dr last week if I could of gotten glaucoma from statins....His answer was glaucoma affects the optic nerve...he didn't commit himself..but from his answer I got the impression that it could very well be, being statins affected my entire nervous system it also affected the optic nerves in my eyes....I have bad ears anyway but when on statins my hearing in one ear went almost down to nothing...since off its improved....so go figure....
catspajamas

Postby Brian C. » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:21 pm

There was an article in a UK newspaper this week that spoke of an inexpensive but effective drug, Avastin (no, not another statin), that was available through private practice but was not licensed for NHS use. NHS practitioners could only prescribe Lucentis but it is so expensive very few would!
So the majority of NHS patients are offered no treatment at all.

Brian.
Brian C.

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs