A Chance to be Heard

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

A Chance to be Heard

Postby Dee » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:00 am

Hi folks, I got this from Consumers Union and thought you might want to take a look. I just wish there was some focus on statins, but this is a start. I wish Dr. Graveline could go to this hearing!:

"We need your help! Tomorrow the Senate health committee will hold its first key hearing on prescription drug safety, including requiring pharmaceutical companies to publicly disclose the results of their studies to tell us about dangerous side effects. Tell your Senators to fight for the strongest drug safety bill possible.

Last week, Consumers Union brought over a dozen people to Washington, DC who have lost loved ones or suffered a disability from drugs like Vioxx, Accutane and Paxil. Many of these people lost a child or a spouse to a drug side effect that they were never informed about. Their simple plea: let us know about a drug’s side effect so we can make an informed decision before giving it to a loved one.

Tomorrow a drug company representative is scheduled to testify and will likely urge Senators to weaken drug safety reforms. We need to make sure our voice is heard too! Tell your Senators to stand up to the big drug company lobby, ask them now to strengthen and support this legislation.

The Senate needs to hear from real people, like you, who want the safest and most effective medicines, rather than drug company lobbyists who prefer the status quo that has let many dangerous prescription drugs on the market.

Ask your Senators today to stop drug companies from playing games with our health!

After you send a letter, please forward this e-mail to people you know who want real drug safety reform.

Thank you for your support,
Liz Foley
PrescriptionForChange.org
A project of Consumers Union
101 Truman Avenue
Yonkers, NY 10703-1057"
Dee

TKU Liz

Postby sos_group_owner » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:17 pm

Thank you for posting this Dee. Little by little our voices need to be heard. Maybe they will finally start to listen.

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby harley2ride » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:17 am

Kind of along these same lines, I would again like to urge everyone on this forum to talk to people you know. Just yesterday, a technician was in my office, and I got on the subject of Statin Drugs. He told me that he had been on them, and had severe muscle pain, even tore muscles twice while doing exercise, and that after stopping the statin, he got better in a few months. I immediately told him about this site, and asked him to post his experience here.

The drug companies keep claiming that these side effects are rare, yet 8 out of 12 people I have talked to had problems with statins. I'm sure that won't be the case every time, but these things sure as heck affect more people that the drug companies are telling about... The more people we can get to post here, the more our voice will be heard. 9000 of us will make a much louder voice, than 900.
harley2ride

Postby Dee » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:23 pm

UPDATE to my original post on this subject:

In February, we told you that your Senator plays a critical role on the Health Committee. In March, we said that a bill to give you and your doctors more information about hazardous drug side effects would be on the move.

Well, next Wednesday your Senator has the chance to make this a really strong bill and move it to the full Senate for a vote. Together we have sent more than 43,000 messages to the Senate Health Committee.

Now is the time to close the deal and strengthen this bill!

*https://secure.npsite.org/cu/site/Advocacycmd=display&page=UserAction&id=1523 (REMOVE ASKERISK)

This bill would finally give doctors and the public information about dangerous drug risks, and the FDA more authority over drug companies to improve drug safety.

We know the drug industry will be using its influence to try to defeat this bill. A report just released from the Center for Public Integrity says, “the (drug) industry is opposed to any legislation that would give the FDA more oversight,” and shows that drug companies and their trade associations spent a record $155 million between 2005-2006 to lobby Congress. That’s more than $289,000 for each member!

Let’s not allow the big drug company lobby to stand in the way of real reform. Your Senator is critical to fixing our broken drug safety system. Tell your Senator to stand up for patient safety, not drug company interests!

With your help, we can change the status-quo, which has allowed dangerous drugs like Vioxx on the market.

After you take action, please pass this message onto 10 family members or friends in your state.

Thank you,
Liz Foley
PrescriptionForChange.org
A project of Consumers Union
101 Truman Avenue
Yonkers, NY 10703-1057
Dee

Postby Dee » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:09 pm

I have submitted my message to the link above. Be sure to type in your personal message/experience on the letter. When you fill in your name/address information on the left, the letter is automatically sent to YOUR representative.

In my message I asked that the statin class of drugs be investigated. This supports the intent to increase drug saftey, and puts a VERY SPECIFIC focus on statins.

Everyone, please take the time to visit this link to support drug safety and be sure to mention STATINS!

*https://secure.npsite.org/cu/site/Advocacycmd=display&page=UserAction&id=1523 (REMOVE ASKERISK)
Dee

Postby cjbrooksjc » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:53 pm

Dee: If you cut and paste this url into your browser, does it link for you? It won't for me; I get a 'not found' msg.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Dee » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:01 pm

Thanks, Brooks. This should work.

*https://secure.npsite.org/cu/site/Advocacy?JServSessionIdr006=upq4wbh1k1.app7a&cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=1523
Dee

Postby SusieO » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:01 am

I just filled out the form and added my 2 cents worth. If only someone would hear our pleas!
SusieO

Postby Dee » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:24 pm

Thank you, Susie, for taking the time to add your concerns for the Senate to consider.

All the lawyers I talked to in the past 3 years (4-5 law firms around the U.S.) would only take cases if the particular statin was recalled by the FDA AND/OR you had been hospitalized with Rhabdo...

Mark Krum is taking on Lipitor even though it is still on the market and he is bringing out the other adverse effects in the suits, at least that is my understanding. It is somewhat of a miracle that he is even doing that.

BUT...where does that leave the rest of us? It leaves us with pain, weakness, serious memory issues and ruined lives while the Big Pharma industry continues to make BILLIONS off the statin class of drugs.
Dee

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs