Reactions to Statins

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Reactions to Statins

Postby Cindy » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:23 am

was taking Lipitor recommended by my cardiologist and suffered severe esophageal, stomach, bowel problems and muscle aches. After running test in the hospital, no one thought it was the Lipitor and then I was put on the "little purple pill". I became so ill and couldn't move because of the pain and decided that it had to be the Lipitor and took my self off. We tried another drug in the statin family and had the same result, so I went off that one as well. I then had an argument with the cardiologist about it and he said my family Dr. could take care of my cholesterol problem. He sent my family physician a note saying "the patient refuses to take prescribed medication". Needless to say my family physician agreed with me and said not to take it. He then prescribed Zetia for about 1 1/2 years and just recently gave me a prescription for Crestor. I asked the nurse if it was a "statin" drug and she said no. I filled it, paid my $70.00 and asked the pharmacist if it was a statin and he also said no, but followed it up with a question asking me if I had a problem with statins and I said yes. I drove home and was only here a few mnutes when the phone rang and it was the pharmacist telling me that he did some research and he had mis-spoken and went on to say it was a statin and apologized. I have not started this drug and am awaiting my Dr. return from an out of town trip to discuss with him why he prescribed it knowing I can't tolerate them. What really alarms me is that when I had so much trouble with Lipitor I could find very little data to describe the side effects I was suffering. I thought Dr's. took an oath to do their patients no harm, and yet they seem to turn a blind eye to the troublesome effects of these so called miracle drugs called statins.
Cindy

Postby JIMNSC » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:52 am

Hello Cindy - Until I found this site I had no idea why I had the many problems I did with Lipitor (won't go through them). For the last two years my cardiologist has asked me if I wanted to try Zetia in addition even though my levels were in range. This last visit he shamed me into trying it saying it would do the trick and get my cholesterol on down where it "ought to be." Well, I took about 5 of them before I realized the Zetia was only compounding my problems - weakness and dizziness being the most noticeable.

I was so mad at him I didn't bother to call him and tell him I was discontinuing both Lipitor and Zetia! I do like my GP and dread telling her but that's exactly what I'm going to have to do on my next visit. Whatever time I have left on this earth (I'm 64) I want to feel as good and as normal as I possibly can. Now, it's left up to me. I have to insist that I follow a healthy diet, take my supplements and continue walking as I have done for the last 15 years. Hopefully, I will have even more strength now to walk as spryly as I used to before statins. I am waiting on Dr. Graveline's book at present and hope it contains the guidance I need.

I said all that to say this...... Zetia just complicated my problems!! :x

Jim
JIMNSC

Postby Cindy » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:27 am

Hi,
I would suggest you do mention this to your Dr. on your next visit, I feel like the patients really need to convey these disturbing side effect to enough Dr, so perhaps they might FINALLY listen. I realize some people have no problems with these drugs, however those of us who have had problems , suffer tremendous debilitating side effects.
Thanks for your reply
Cindy

Postby harley2ride » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:36 pm

There are more of us than are listed here. At Scripps Memorial in San Diego, as of May of this year, they had seen over 2000 patients with statin myopathy, myalgia, and/or neuropathy. Unfortunately, some of us are worse than others. 18 months later, I am still getting worse (and it was from 10mg doses of Crestor. Starting having problems after 2 weeks, and doctor convinced me to keep taking it. After another 2 weeks, I told him to go to hell, and stopped. But the damage had already been done. I've tried numerous therapies, and so far I just continue to worsen. Wish you all luck, and highly recommend that nobody take any statins, or Crestor. Playing Russian Roulette is probably safer.
harley2ride

Postby Cindy » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:13 pm

Thanks for your replys, I think it is incumbent on all of us to get the message out to everyone. I do know people who have had no ill effects, however in my sphere they are the minority. I used to walk 5 miles a day and can no longer do that distance, so I imagine that it will take time or it may never go away. My sympathys to all who have suffered!
Cindy

Ignorance

Postby Tulip » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:11 am

A nurse who tells you Crestor is not a statin. A pharmacist who has to look up if Crestor might be a statin... (Dumpidumpidoo, let's look it up. By John! Crestor, rosuvastatin, it's a statin!) I have no words for it. If ignorance of this sort is 'normal' among health care providers, there is virtually no hope. Cindie, please take notice of the fact (and check it for your self) that no statin in the world has ever prolonged a single female life.

I wish you a full recovery.

Tulip.
Tulip

Reply for "Cindy"

Postby sos_group_owner » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:27 pm

That is absolutely shocking Cindy, that neither a doctor's nurse and more
astounding a "pharmacist" not knowing Crestor is a statin drug. Every TV
ad (shoved down our throats daily) states that "Crestor is one of the statins".

And those that take statins and claim they are not having side effects? They
may be OK for several years with absolutely no sign of trouble, then... very
slowly, their body will start to suffer from CoQ10 deficiency.

Statins will prove to be more of a "silent killer" than heart attacks & strokes
(from natural causes).

Just my 2 cents for today...
Fran
sos_group_owner

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs