My Statin drug experiences

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

My Statin drug experiences

Postby Shari » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:38 pm

I have high cholesterol, and took a statin drug for 1 1/2 years. During that time, I could not sleep. The Dr. gave me sleeping pills, which were working, but since I also had a prescription for anti-anxiety medication, she told me to use that instead, and would not refill my prescription for the sleeping pills because they were addictive. Then, she would not refill my prescription for anti-anxiety medication because that is also addictive. When I moved about a year ago, I ran out of the statin prescription, and for several days I noticed that I could sleep! So, there is an obvious connection to sleep deprivation and the statin drug.

I also experienced dizziness on a regular basis, particularly when I was driving. This was frightening, and once again, that corrected itself after I quite taking the statin medication.

Another adverse affect was constant intestinal track disruption. This was miserable. With little warning I would have to go to the restroom immediately, and then the discharge was literally explosive.

And, yes I had muscle aches all of the time. This was miserable, and since I didn't associate it with the statin drugs, I thought I was just getting old.

So, these were some of my experiences with statin. I have since quit taking them, but the Dr. is insisting that I take them again because my cholesterol levels are high again.

I am most interested in your book, and will certainly purchase it when it is available.

Thank you for doing all of this research. I feel it is critical for doctors and their patients to understand the multitude of very serious side affects that the statins cause. A lot of people are being adversely affected, and they probably are not even aware that it is the statins that are responsible. Most people don’t even bother to read the literature that is supplied with the prescriptions. :shock:
Shari

Postby JIMNSC » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:32 pm

Hi Shari - About dizziness, did you ever get out of your car (especially in the bright sunlight on a hot day) and have to stand there a minute to settle down before walking into a mall or etc.?

May just be me but I can cough hard and get dizzy. I have a cough when I sit or lie down due to fluid retention. Now, at night my upper legs hurt me so bad that I feel best standing.

I'm weaning off Lipitor right now without my doctor's approval. I have made me a list of the things about me that aren't just right and I'm going to see how many of them correct themselves when I quit Lipitor. That will be some excellent information for me to share with my doctors. I too. have trouble sleeping all night and am determined not to take sleep aids.

I want to feel good again and if it comes down to feeling good or taking statin drugs, I'll opt for feeling good regardless of the risk involved.

Glad to see your post - Jim
JIMNSC

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs