On My Third Statin

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

On My Third Statin

Postby JIMNSC » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:40 am

Five years on Lipitor and 3 of those living with bad side effects and not knowing why, then tried 3G daily Nicotinic Acid with correct eating/exercise for 4 months and the only result that was better was HDL (60), next came Vytorin. My sister was on it and experiencing no side effects and since I was genetically similar I tried it. Not to be - within three months I started having fatigue and muscular aches in my legs. This time I knew why and the doctor took me off it with these instructions - are you ready for this?

He sent me word through his nurse to stop Vytorin immediately and start it again after a month. We know you don't stop a statin suddenly, don't we? And I'm in atrial fibrillation too. Think he might have wanted to reduce his patients by one? Had I followed his instructionsI think the chances were excellent I'd start experiencing the bad side effects again.

So, I took matters into my own hands and rsearched all the "plans" for healthy eating and settled on the Rice Diet sponsored by a major university. Got the book, read it, went grocery shopping and began the first of this year, along with my wife. I walked a minimum of three miles a day six days a week and did other light resistance resistance training on my Bowflex. During this time I lost more than 20 pounds. I followed the Spacedoc's supplement suggestions to the letter.

Three months lapse and we have the lipids tested again. Not good numbers:

TC - 247, LDL 171, HDL 31 and TRG 228.

I got those numbers living as good as one can with my wife's help. I guess my bigggest problem is the fact that my entre family had high cholesterol and underactive thyroids.

So, if your genes dictate your lipids sans statins, what to do?

I started 40mg of Pravastatin the 22nd of February and I continue to live and supplement the same way I did with no statins. I'll know more in late May when the lipids are retested unless I am plagued by side effects before then. I told my "new" doctor it wouldn't take me near as long to recognize them this time and he agreed.

I had excellent numbers with Vytorin, by the way - much better than with Lipitor which bothered me more. Just thought I'd offer up my experiences as informatioopn to the rest of you.

Jim
JIMNSC

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs