Red Yeast Rice vs Statins

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Red Yeast Rice vs Statins

Postby OzTrack » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:38 pm

Hi everyone, I have just joined, am from down under in Australia.
I am very pleased to have found your site. I have been battling with cholesterol for 5 years now (only discovered it 5 years ago), if I had been warned how much heartache and agony I would have saved myself.
I don't know what the conversion is, but in Australia when you have your cholesterol checked mine came out at 9.3 which is very high. I think you multiply this by 38.5 which would make it way over 300. My bad cholesterol was very bad. Anyhow to cut a rather long story short, my father died at the age of 52 of heart attack. They took my cholesterol at the age of 49 and I was given all sorts of warnings to bring it down. I am now 54 thankful to say I am a bit older than my father was. I was given the dreaded lipitor. 20mg to begin with, it brought it down, but not enough, so it was increased to 40mg. Unbeknown to me, I wasn't aware of the side effects, about 1 week later I could hardly get out of bed. I didn't know what was wrong with me. I am a single person, so am forced to work for a living, had to drag myself to work, but about 10 days into this, I was in a real state, in tears I called the doctor who sent me for all sorts of blood tests which all came back negative. I found out myself via the internet that you can have muscle pain and weakness. I was so upset and furious that he never told me this. He agreed that this was the problem, but would not hear me stopping with the statin. He reduced the dose, gave me a series of different ones each still giving me the same problem, I have been on Zocor, Pravachol, and now he wanted me to try Crestor. My current level is 6.8 with my LDL being 3.8 and my HDL being 2.3. My Trig is 1.4. He wants me to bring it down to 5 or below. I did a search on Crestor and this was how I found your site. I have spent the last week reading all the postings. :cry: I am absolutely convinced I don't want to go onto this. I read somewhere on one of the postings about Red Yeast Rice, so I did a search and found that it can't be purchased here in Australia. I went onto eBay and purchased some from the US. It hasnt arrived yet, but I am very interested to know if anyone out there has tried this product successfully? Please, please let there be another solution to these dreaded statins. I stopped my statin in October last year, refusing to take it anymore, my number went right up to 9.8, my doctor almost had a fit. I am now taking 10mg of Zocor, the pain is bearable, but its not enough to bring it down, the last test I had it was 6.8, and this was because just a week before my test, I took large doses of Lipitor to make sure that it wasn't sky high. I obviously achieved this, but now I am only taking 10mg of Zocor, some days I miss because the pain in my arms is very bad.
Sorry for the long post. I also want to find out if anyone has experienced pain in the jaw. The last few weeks I am having pain down the one side of my jaw. I don't think I am clenching my teeth whilst I sleep, but I can't be sure, there are just so many things I have put up with thinking it was menopause, only to discover from your postings that a lot of my problems are statins.
:D
OzTrack

Postby SusieO » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:18 am

OzTrack be careful when you take the Red Yeast Rice...once you have had problems with taking a statin the RYR may give you the same symptoms of muscle pain/weakness!
SusieO

Postby cjbrooksjc » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:26 am

Oztrack: Red Yeast Rice IS a STATIN; a natural one that is common to Asia. Read thru the posts on this site, and you will find a furmula (along with a low sugar/low refined-carb diet) to replace the Statins you were taking.

Good Luck!

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

statin

Postby vipergg22 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:54 pm

You have to remember the doctor is there to give advice . It is your god given right to determine whether or not to take it . you also have to make a determination if you want a good quality of life or suffer thru life with side effects that you know are cause by statins . Big pharm companies would love to have you believe that you will keel over and die if your levels are above 200 , thats a bunch of garbage , everyone is different , 230 may be normal or even higher . With all these wonder drugs called statins on the market I continue to see more and younger people dropping dead of heart attacks , the answer is not elevated levels it is probably like what DR. Graveline has said inflamation . If the statins are killing you , make a decision on whether or not you want to stay on them and don't worry about what the DR. says they aren't god .
vipergg22

Red Yeast Rice, adverse effects

Postby crafty » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:23 pm

RYR, per Dr. Graveline, is the same as a statin which name I do not remember. However, my experience is muscle deteriation, peripheral neuropathy, carpal tunnel surgery both hands, and rotator cuff surgery both shoulders. Walking reduced from 6 to 7 miles to where I can now struggle thru one mile. Discontinue the redyeast rice and any statins and control thru diet, exercise and supplements like fish oil. Good luck.
crafty

Postby adec » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:27 am

Hi OzTrack, and welcome to the forum. I hope you continue to read, post, and share your statin recovery story with us. Your doctor can only recommend or suggest drugs to lower certain physiological indicators, such as cholesterol. He or she cannot force you against your will to ingest anything. As vipergg22 has already suggested, inflammation (for instance) is a much more valuable biomarker of health.

Certainly oxidized-LDL and a low-HDL is far more a concern than total cholesterol.... of which statins do nothing to assist either of these factors. Statins do however drastically reduce CoQ10, which is found in every cell in the human body. CoQ10 is 95% responsible for the conversion of the body's food energy as ATP. The heart, lungs, and liver require large amounts of this vital enzyme for continuing function. In other words, I personally would never take any statin extract or the supplement equivalent: red yeast rice.

However, there are safe and effective alternatives to pharmaceuticals to: recover from statin poisoning, raise beneficial cholesterol, reduce inflammation, clear blocked arteries etc. without a doctor's Rx.

.....statin recovery: coQ10, acetyl L-carnitine, alpha lipoic acid
.....hardened/blocked arteries & low bone density: vitamin K2 (menaquinone 7)
.....cancer prevention: vitamin D3 (gelcap form)
.....lower inflammation: holy basil extract, omega 3 fish oil
.....lower oxidized-LDL and raise HDL cholesterol: astaxanthin
.....lower triglycerides: eat less refined sugars and carbohydrates, eat more proteins and vegetables

These are all confirmed to work by me, after assisting my mother in her 2-year long struggle with side-effects due to statin poisoning. Good luck. And if you have any further questions feel free to ask.
adec

Re: Red Yeast Rice, adverse effects

Postby poohhel » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:00 am

[quote="crafty"]RYR, per Dr. Graveline, is the same as a statin which name I do not remember. However, my experience is muscle deteriation, peripheral neuropathy, carpal tunnel surgery both hands, and rotator cuff surgery both shoulders. Walking reduced from 6 to 7 miles to where I can now struggle thru one mile. Discontinue the redyeast rice and any statins and control thru diet, exercise and supplements like fish oil. Good luck.[/quote]

Crafty: I just had to comment when I read some of your experience/problems... especially the shoulde surgery...

I was on Vytorin 16 months and also have the muscle weakness, neuropathy, carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists/hands, have had rotator cuff surgery in my right shoulder and physical therapy for the left in hopes to avoid surgery as well as physical therapy for pinched nerves in neck and back, and I am already scheduled for surgery in both feet for tarsal tunnel syndrome (which is the equivalent of carpal in wrists but of course effects the ankles/feet). I went from doing 45mins to an hour of exercise 6 x a week to not being able to exercise at all. . . I have stopped statins 6 months ago because I do blame it for all of my nerve problems BUT I never did think my shoulder problems could have been the statins...ummm....interesting.
poohhel

Postby cjbrooksjc » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:44 pm

poohel: I ABSOLUTELY blame Zocor for my gamy (game - y) rotator cuff. My left shoulder pops and groans under exertion , and I KNOW it was the Statin. Before the Statin I used a health club,and I mean vigorously, with NO complaint from my joints. Today I have trouble with 15 lbs of dead weight stressing my left shoulder. Both my shoulder joints hurt me under the Statin Rx, but my right seems to have escaped with only a little gravel. Best of luck!

Regards

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Biologist » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:40 am

Hi, Brooks.

Same here. Left shoulder.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby cjbrooksjc » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:26 pm

Hi back, Biologist: I found this stuff sold by Iceland Health called Joint Relief. While my shoulder used to complain vigorously even when I did something like towel-dry my hair, that degree of discomfort went away when I began taking the Joint Relief. Is it curative, a panacea, NO, but my shoulder feels much better, and it's the only thing that really helped. It's not cheap, but it won't break the bank either.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Biologist » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:18 pm

Brooks, sounds interesting. I'll check into it.

My issue is a little numbness and stiffness where I have done NOTHING to stress it. Not too big of a problem in itself but it is keeping me from doing any weight lifting because I do not want an injury -- the soreness for a while afterwards for a few days I can tolerate. My "strategy" has been to give it more time and then slowly do some working out with it, but I do not have the knowledge to know whether it will ever get better enough to do that, or if I might further hurt it by trying. I just don't know what the problem with it is -- maybe just screwed up muscle fibers from the statins. I do not have enough faith in the medical profession to trust "opinions" there, and sure as hell am not interested in forking out money for more bad advise anymore -- had enough of that with paying for statin poisons for six years. Not interested in MRIs and that kind of thing which would tell nothing, I'm sure.

To update you a bit, my fatigue problem has gone away. When I have more time I will write up some of my experiences from over the last few weeks for you and bucho and a few others. (Quick parenthetical though: DHEA is a damn good idea and I would suggest a dosage of more like 100 mg per day, off and on, as it DOES convert to testosterone in several tissues in the body; and watch out for too much estrogen which testosterone can convert to if not managed with zinc and other supplements -- another time on all that though.) Making progress here and there and learning a lot by reading several books and studying endocrinology a good bit when I can. I am sure I will just use my own judgment in my continued recovery and also continue to educated doctors when the situations arise from time to time from my work contracts. I recently explained to a leading plastic surgeon in town that he better dump his recent prescription for Lipitor quick. "Odds of lower your IQ? 100% -- did your doctor not tell you that when he put you on this drug? No? Better do some reading -- and that is just the bare beginning of what you need to learn. Catch on quick." He just smiled. But looked a little worried at the same time. He was pleased that it was "working so well." He does not have a clue "how well" it's really working but he will learn -- one way or the other, and sooner or later. Best he learn by reading. I sent him to this site but have no idea if he has been here yet. I will run back into him in a few months and see where he's at on it.

Anyway back to work and more reading. Just wanted to write a quick note to you and ended up with this mini-essay...

Hey, Deb. 'bout time for an update from you when you get a chance...

Biologist
Biologist

Postby carbuffmom » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:06 am

Hi Guys:

I am still hanging in there. No real improvement---arms seem weaker at the end of the day. I have been experiencing some "humming" and sometimes aching is my arms and hands while at rest. I don't know what the heck that could be.

I go back to the ALS clinic on Monday. Appt. was changed from Sept to Oct. which was fine by me.

I am still suffering from fatique. I think part of it stems from the fact that I am depressed----missing my old active lifestyle and the things I used to do. On days that I am active (as active as I can get), it doesn't seem too bad. It just takes three times as long to do something. Oh well, it could be worse---my legs are still okay.

I am happy to read that you are doing better. I still remain hopeful that my symptoms will at least halt if not improve.

I will let you know how my appt goes. DEB
carbuffmom

Postby cjbrooksjc » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:32 am

biologist: Good to hear you're feeling better. I completely agree about the testing - a gross waste of time. The testosterone conversion is something I didn't know. Personally, I've not noticed anything different since taking more DHEA though I've been using it for years.

I hope the Endocrine study provides some positive results. Endocrinology is a subj that has always interested me as I've always felt failures in that system could be the cause of many difficult human conditions.

I'm still up and down - makes me &%@# nuts. Keep changing my self-meds when things go south to see if that helps, but that's only a knee-jerk reaction; I know. I keep thinking time will be the best medicine. I certainly hope that's true. I just have to remind myself now and then how awful I was feeling this time last year when the weight of my own arms was more than I could bear, and I perk up a bit. AND my family is very supportive, THANK GOD!

Well, I'm off to my 'pharmacology lab' to start today's regimen. Thanks for the note. Always good to hear from you.

Best regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Biologist » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:58 am

Deb, your update is interesting partly because it is what I had anticipated. I am currently taking testosterone replacement (Androgel) and have been for one month. I would suggest you read this book (its old but the reviewers still say it is still the best one -- while I have also preordered the one you will see due to come out this month from the second hyperlink below):

*http://www.amazon.com/Testosterone-Syndrome-Critical-Sexuality-Reversing-Menopause/dp/087131858X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-8409589-8095012?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191943414&sr=1-1

*http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/103-6611373-4283037?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=testosterone+syndrome

There is a section for women in his book. And it contains some important info (remember the female athlete runner who just "turned herself in" was dosing testosterone -- and for a reason, it builds body tissue, and that is what you and I need, right?) You, as a woman, just need about a 10th as much as I do as a man, if you happen to be low. And guess what? Yep, the precursors for testosterone (and estrogen) are cholesterol -- which we lowered for years. Also, we may have damaged our mitochondria, and guess where part of the conversion goes on to reach these hormone end products? Yep, the mitochondria. I earlier mentioned human growth hormone to you. It is too expensive for most people (certainly including me), however note the following:

Page 82:

The following cardiovascular risk factors increase as testosterone decreases:

* Cholesterol and tryglyceride levels go up, leading to increased arterial plaque.

(My note: He also slams statins in another sections: one of the first major publishing doctors to do so I believe as the book was written in about 2000)

* Coronary artery and major artery dilation diminish vasoconstriction and greater risk of cardiac events

* Rising blood pressure

* Increased insulin output, which leads to obesity, elevated blood pressure, adult diabetes, and increased cortisone output

* Increased central abdominal fat; increased waist/him ratio

* Increased estrogen levels in men -- associated with higher stroke and heart attack rates

* Increased lipoprotein A

* Increased fibrinogen -- the basis of most blood clots (combined with a simultaneous drop in plasminogen, our natural clot buster

* Decreased human growth hormone (HGH) output, leading to a decline in energy, strength, stamina, and heart muscle mass and output

* Decreased energy and strength, causing decreased physical activity thereby leading to obesity -- the vicious cycle of the male menopause.

His hormone replacement advice for women regarding estrogen is dated, but the pieces sure fall into place regarding breast cancer. With that fact in mind, his work is still very good, just some of his analogies to men and testosterone are not effective. Estrogen causes problems in men and women (but a lot of good to) -- testosterone in both has a much better record. Note that there are some Amazon books devoted to just women and testosterone that you might want to check out. And DHEA is something I believe you should research as much as you can in the mean time. If I were you, I would probably be doing a good bit of it. You have to decide for yourself.

BTW, for all others, particularly men on this forum: knowing your testosterone level without knowing your estrogen level is nearly meaningless -- and most doctors apparently don't know this fact -- mine didn't as best I can tell because -- Damn it -- I now want to know what it is/was and the estrogen level test was not ordered. I wanted and needed that baseline and would certainly have paid for it -- I paid for finding out if my low testosterone was based on primary or secondary causes by testing for my LH and FSH levels. Apparently he just did not know the importance of this test (and at the time I did not either). It is the RATIO that is so important -- at least as important as testosterone and DHT levels. You checked out fine and are well in line with other mens' averages your age based on your test results? WRONG! You have no idea and neither does your doctor because you do not know your RATIO. Read the book. And BTW, why would you want to be "in line" with other men your age? Hell, be in line with a 20 year old instead, right?!

Deb, I have little doubt we have the same statin damage regarding the ALS type symptoms. Yours is just worse than mine. First let me make a clarification: my left shoulder and my left arm tremor under motion are clearly related to each other and the shoulder obviously gets worse the next day on stretching it the day before. Before I "workout" on a stairclimber / elliptical machine I do a relatively thorough set of body stretches. I mentioned that it takes nothing to for it to bother me the next day, but as of today I am just making that connection. But here's the thing, the biceps and shoulder can also feel as you describe without any particular workout or stretches except for day to day chores. Why does my muscle ache? It could be that it is repair going on? I am hopeful that over time my situation in this regard will improve and the replacement therapy's anabolic boost should help. But it could take many months and so far there is no improvement I can detect. However, my fatigue and depression have simply gone away and I attribute that to the replacement; but, when I found my levels were low, I immediately started increased doses of DHEA (after doing a lot of online reading) and started to feel much better. On rechecking my testosterone levels three weeks later, my numbers had tripled (while it was a morning test where we would expect it to be higher -- but not that much!) See what I mean? At this point I continue to feel better but have not had my levels checked since starting a month ago. I am sure they are up there.

Warning: doctors tend to be wimps on testosterone -- and probably even more so for women. It is a schedule three drug for one. They may be looking after their own careers by denying it. And as Dr Shippen, MD (the author) quotes his father, also a retired doctor: "Doctors tend to be down on what they are not up on." There are several examples he cites of very irrational thinking regarding its use that are popular in the medical community. Don't expect Ford doctors to be much more enlightened I'm afraid.

I am looking forward to how the visit comes out.

Keep your head up.

Brooks, same here with the DHEA. Here is a central concept that may be hard to understand. It was for me. I get it now. Your usage and my usage of DHEA has probably been ineffective and possibly counterproductive. We have taken too little. By our small amounts of supplementation all we have done is partially replace endogenous production with exogenous supplementation. See what I mean? (They are not cumulative in the body.) And you DO NOT want to do that, because when you quit supplementing, you may not even be able to make it as well anymore as the cells have atrophied! It may take them a while to produce again. This is why you need to take a break for some weeks (or months?) from time to time to keep your own glands able to do the production. That is why the therapy is called REPLACEMENT THERAPY -- NOT SUPPLEMENTATION THERAPY. You DO NOT SUPPLEMENT hormones -- your REPLACE THEM. Give it a lot of thought. And if you are going to replace them for a while, put the GAS ON. Don't play around with tiny amounts -- like I did (10 mgs per day! -- how damn stupid, now that I "get the picture") Go for it for a couple of months at, say, 100 mgs. -- but much less than that is just not smart. I hope I have gotten the message across. It is a tough one to get.

Hey, here's one for you. My doctor's practice (several private doctors) now has scratched out the preprinted forms and have adjusted upward the acceptable levels for LDL!! (I suspect I may be due some "credit" there, who knows?)

Keep us posted.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby uncle2blade » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:45 pm

Biologist, Thanks for all the Info.you post, and work you do for us all. I ran across this, thought you might have some intrest. THE SCHWARZBEIN PRINCIPLE THE TRANSITION, by Diana Schwarzbein, M.D. It deals with Healing your metabolism, and reversing degenerative diseases. She talks alot about supplementation and repalcement therapy.
uncle2blade

Postby cjbrooksjc » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:34 pm

Biologist: Yes, I DO understand the 'replacement vs. supplementation' therapy concept; in fact, it has always been one of my concerns about taking too much of any of this stuff at the risk of disabling natural, internal processes, both those directly and those indirectly related to the element in question. That's why, every few months, I quit everything for a week or two to see how my body reacts; so far, the results have been pretty predictable: muscle aches, joint aches, malaise, etc. return. I'm not confident enough to continue the cessation for more than a couple weeks - maybe this winter, when my allergies don't contribute to my overall condition. I will try the DHEA regimen though. Thanks for the heads up.

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Biologist » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:42 pm

Well said, Brooks. I agree. Waiting until winter is a good idea too.

Plus the new (as of 2005 or 2006) replacement for the active ingredient in Sudefed-like decongestants (the little red pills) turns out to be a fraud. The stuff does not work according to several studies -- and I noticed it too. I researched it recently to confirm my suspicions. Waste of money. It was removed to prevent illegal conversion to speed by small meth labs. You can still get it apparently, but it is "behind the counter" and you have to sign for it at the pharmacy.

Here is an interesting quote I found at the following URL when I was interested in learning how to cook my egg plant collection from the local Farmers Market recently. Probably BS, but who knows? Made me want to toss them out though...

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_plant

"Studies of the Institute of Biology of São Paulo State University, Brazil (Instituto de Biociências of the UNESP de Botucatu, São Paulo) showed that eggplant is effective in the treatment of high blood cholesterol hypercholesterolemia and in the control of cholesterol (about 30% reduction).[citation needed]"

This guy continues to be one of my favorites (while I have read a few suspect things from him from time to time such as his thoughts on 9/11 and the additive MSG). His article today is titled "Cholesterol and cognitive decline" and is currently top on the cue here:

*http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/

Thanks, uncle2blade.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby cjbrooksjc » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:20 pm

biologist: Thanks for the link to Dr Mike. I couldn't quit reading or loading videos. Great fun! Very interesting stuff! Oh, and I don't think there is ANY decongestant in Sudafed tabs, only antihistamine??

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Biologist » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:47 pm

I am currently (half-heartedly) trying his thermodynamics angle on weight loss (low / no carbs) to see if I can lose another 10 lbs before long. If I can pull that off, I will be at a fighting weight of about 180 lbs. We'll see. I may try his egg shelling presentation in the morning...

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudafed

Biologist
Biologist

Postby carbuffmom » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:33 am

Biologist:

Thanks for the great info. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do. As always, your info is usually right on the mark. I will do some investigating. I appreciate your concern. Deb
carbuffmom

Next

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs