Headaches from coQ10?

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Postby SusieO » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:53 pm

I am not on heart meds for high blood pressure - I have mitral valve prolapse syndrome and I need the heart meds to keep my heart from beating too fast (Supra Ventricular Tachycardia) and a few other issues.

The only time my b/p goes up is when my hormones run out (my body does not make any hormones and I have to have them surgically implanted in my body about every 14 weeks and when they run low UP goes my b/p).

I can see your reasoning where it may be lowering my b/p too low when I take the CoQ10, but I can't stop the heart meds no way! :lol: :wink:

As you can see I have other medical problems to deal with beside the statin damage and I truly feel like that is why some meds and supplements will not work for me like they do for others. I also feel like my other medical problems "helped" the statins to do damage to my body....if that makes sense.
SusieO

Postby cjbrooksjc » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:17 pm

Susie: OK, let me try one last time to understand. You DON'T have LOW BP. And your meds are not intended to lower you BP, but to regulate your heartbeat, is that right? If that is so, I can only say CoQ10 does not RAISE your BP, but it is essential to life, and Statins have reduced your body's ability to produce it. If you can take just a little without problems, OK; otherwise, I can't think how else to advise you. I wish I could tell you someting else with confidence; I can't. All I can do is wish you health.

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Biologist » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:20 pm

Hi, Brooks, et al.

(A little off topic here, but may be helpful to some...)

Speaking of CoQ10, my QH-Absorb version of it got in today. Thanks again for suggesting it. A concern of mine is that the box it came in, with about 10 bottles of it ($300 worth), was pretty warm/hot inside. No doubt it had been in the back of the delivery truck all day, and as it shipped several days ago, it may have been heated and reheated for days before getting here. I put an indoor/outdoor thermometer lead inside the box and it was almost 90 degrees and had probably cooled somewhat from the time I thought of doing that. I suspect it saw some hours of hundred degree temps along its way. Irritating. I should have thought of that and would have gladly paid for quicker delivery than the standard ground delivery -- which actually took the full range of time they approximate this time rather than just a couple of days. Of course, it might hurt sales for them to mention on the website that one should shoot for a quick delivery for just this reason -- and their not knowing one way or the other is not acceptable either. They should know or find out. Business ethics in America is pretty low these days, as the norm. That is why I am concerned. Good example is Sam's Club selling Vitamin E in bulk (large bottles of it). They only sell the junk version. They know people don't know the difference. It is the type the uninitiated think is OK where we know it is the alpha and gamma type that is really needed, while more expensive. The cheap version even "out competes" (but once again) the good stuff, so it may even be counterproductive.

As you have noticed, the pills are brown and the label says that it is to keep damaging light out, which means that it is not real stable and it is an effort to protect the molecule from degrading from light -- if not heat itself. Translation: heat may ruin it. Pisses me off pretty good as it throws uncertainty right back into the mix again. It may actually have half or less potency now and I would never know it -- and never will. It would be useless to ask the mail order place about it as you know what they would say regardless of whether they had any clue of what they were talking about or not. Here's some irony: I could return it due to the concern and reorder with a faster delivery method. My guess is they would agree to it, and that of course would prove the point: it would cost them nothing as they would just ship it out again the next day to someone else -- and maybe even back to me!

But who knows, maybe it makes no difference about the heat... :?

Anyway, if you think of it, consider asking Dr. L. if it is temperature sensitive. He may have an opinion on it. Thanks in advance.

Hopefully others will avoid this mistake. Get quick delivery and if you are buying many months worth in advance, do it when the season is cooler.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Biologist » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:58 pm

Nevermind. Looks like I have answered my own question from another website:

"Heat-Sensitive Products:
Some of our products (such as PERQUE Digesta
Guard, Triple EFA, CoQ10; Unique E; and Udo's
Choice) can be negatively effected by high
temperatures when shipped in the summer
months. We recommend a maximum of 3 shipping
days for heat-sensitive products during summer
months."

http://www.beyondhealth.com/shipping.htm

Another website will even pack stuff in ice packs for you at additional costs, I just learned. I will have to decide what (if anything) to do about it. They have a 60 day return policy for unopened bottles.

But, to repeat:

"Hopefully others will avoid this mistake. Get quick
delivery and if you are buying many months worth
in advance, do it when the season is cooler."

Biologist
Biologist

Postby cjbrooksjc » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:01 pm

Biologist: I think I'd just return it (if that is an option) and order more the same day. You'd be out of pocket for the shipping and temporarily out of pocket for the initial cost, but the refund will cover most of the orig expense. They would ship out the new before the old got back. My ? would be - do they have the heat/shipping disclaimer on the original site. Anyway... I'd sure try to return it... bummer!

Regards,

Brooks
cjbrooksjc

Postby Biologist » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:33 pm

Good idea.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Brian C. » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:43 am

I received my QH-Absorb from iHerb, Irwindale, CA a few days ago.
I'm importing a bottle at a time. Even though shipping mounts up that way I do avoid tax & charges (the latter now 8GBP!). Hopefully I am also lessening the risk of consuming significant quantity of heat-damaged ubiquinol.

Brian.
Brian C.

Postby Biologist » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:04 pm

I did return mine and will reorder later. It will be with their fastest delivery method and I will not stock up from them until winter. (It's cheaper to buy a lot at a time in the States, as Brian points out.)

I did go through their website and see that they have air conditioned warehouses and that is good.

Speaking of Sam's Club earlier in this thread, I wrote the following which is not as accurate an explaination on Vitamin E types as it could be:

"They only sell the junk version. They know
people don't know the difference. It is the
type the uninitiated think is OK where we
know it is the alpha and gamma type that
is really needed, while more expensive.
The cheap version even "out competes"
(but once again) the good stuff, so it may
even be counterproductive."
--Biologist

I have done a little better job of explaining my concern about their alpha version (as I understand the matter) at this post:

http://www.spacedoc.net/board/viewtopic ... 44737#4863

Biologist
Biologist

Headaches

Postby bunnylady » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:43 pm

I have had a headache almost every day for the past 13 months since going off Lipitor- I use IMITREX 50 mg first thing in the morning to get rid of it- if your sinuses burn try using FLONASE- it can help with the headaches- My headaches start about 5 or 6 a.m. every day- I read about a pillow headache and think the statins have something to do with my head being sensitive to the pressure of the pillow- if I get up the headache eventually goes away- try using a little herbal med along with regular meds and be a detective and see if you can figure out why you are getting them, besides the statin thing- if there is anything else contributing to the pain- good luck!
bunnylady

Previous

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs