Advicor Zapped my Energy and Damaged my Skin !

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Advicor Zapped my Energy and Damaged my Skin !

Postby Mrwurm » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:19 pm

I have recently been experiencing some health problems that I believe
may be related to Advicor.

I have been taking Advicor for approximately 4 months. My doctor quickly elevated me to the maximum dosage per day of 2000/40mg.
I have experienced flushing that I now control by taking two 325mg aspirin thirty minutes before Advicor. The 80mg of aspirin recommended by my doctor is ineffective in controlling the
flushing. (even after several months of acclimation)

Previous to my Advicor use, I was taking lipitor 20mg for several years.
I am male, 41 yrs, caucasian, 5'11'', 210 lbs.

In the past two months I have noticed changes in my skin. I have suffered yeast infections in my groin area and underarms that have progressed to bacterial infections. Most recently, I have noticed brown patches of skin on my knees, legs, arms, elbows, back, and underarms. Also, I have noticed significant wrinkling of my skin in the elbow, knee, neck, and upper back areas.

Upon examination by a dermatologist, I have been diagnosed with Acanthosis Nigricans. The dermatologist noted siginificant skin thickening on my hands and upper back as well as hyper-pigmented areas.

My primary care doctor has tested me for the common causes of Anthosis Nigricans, high insulin levels, Glucose levels, thyroid levels, white blood cells, and platelets. All results have returned as normal.

I am also experiencing a moderate level of fatigue.

My primary care doctor has suggested that additonal testing may be
required to rule out cancers and tumors as a cause of the Acanthosis Nigricans.

I have expressed to my doctor that Advicor may play a role in these
symptoms. The patient information leaflet included with the Advicor,
specifically mentions Acanthosis Nigricans as a rare side-effect.
So far, my doctor still has me taking the Advicor. After reading Dr. Gravelines opinions, I am determined to eliminate the Advicor from my system.

Update:

I have taken myself off Advicor. Three days after cessation, my energy levels returned to an almost normal level. Five weeks later 70% of the hyper-pigmented areas have improved and the wrinking on my arms and elbows is starting to diminish.

I plan to wait approximately 3 months to see if all symptoms disappear. If they do not, I will seek further testing from my doctor to explore other causes.
Mrwurm

Postby JIMNSC » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:04 am

Sometime you've gotta' do what you think is best regardless. Congrats on the improvements and I hope they continue. Planning on going back to that same doctor?
JIMNSC

Postby Mrwurm » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:47 pm

Good question. Current Doc has not always been the best, but is close by. That's not a good reason to choose a doctor.
Mrwurm

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs