No more Simvastatin

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

No more Simvastatin

Postby jh » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:13 am

Hi,
I came across your forum when investigating inexplicable health problems, and maybe this is where I need to be for answers.
I have been taking Simvastatin tablets for over a year - 10mg tablets initially and then 40mg for the last six months, that is since July time last year.
What are the effects experienced, if any, when one just stops taking these tablets? Is it all good or is it all bad? Are supplements necessary to help any withdrawal symptoms?
Any answers would be much appreciated.
Jimmie.
jh

Reply for Jimmie

Postby sos_group_owner » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:45 pm

Hi Jimmie & Welcome to the Forum,

Re: Stopping Statins
Statins are a potent anti-inflammatory and stopping abruptly can put you at risk. Taper off over 3 weeks...
Cut pills in 1/2
wk 1: take that 1/2 pill every day
wk 2: take that 1/2 pill every other day
wk 3: take that 1/2 pill every 3rd day

Re: Statins Alternatives
At the same time, start taking statin alternatives...

Buffered Aspirin - 81 mg (contains beneficial magnesium)
CoQ10 - 100 to 150 mg (gelcaps - NOT powdered) with some Vit E
* Folic Acid - 400-800 mcg
* B6 - 80-100mg
* B12 - 200-250mcg
* (all 3 of these B Vitamins control Homocysteine)
Omega 3 (Fish Oil or Cod Liver Oil) - There is no upper limit

Dr Graveline's Statin Alternatives reduce and prevent inflammation, are anti-oxidants, reduce platelet stickiness, control (toxic) homocysteine and have the same anti-inflammatory affect as 20 mg's of Lipitor, without side effects.

"Statin Alternatives" are NOT intended to reduce cholesterol levels. Statins (as do statin alternatives) reduce the type of inflammation that leads to heart attacks and strokes. The fact that statins also reduce cholesterol levels is "irrelevant".

Personal Note: If you are "aspirin sensitive", grape seed extract (GSE) is a good alternative (reduces platelet stickiness/prevents blood clots).

Statin Adverse Effects article:
http://www.spacedoc.net/statin_adverse_effects.htm

And Dr Graveline's book:
http://www.spacedoc.net/

Fran
sos_group_owner

Postby Cat Mom2 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:33 pm

They jumped you from 10 to 40 all at once? The more I hear, the more I realize these doctors have no idea what they are doing when it comes to statin drugs.

Investigating and educating yourself has brought some suprises hasn't it? Once I started investigating, the more I read, the more shocked I became. So much was finally explained about what I had been having happen to me and the madder I got. ALL the doctor visits for symptoms that never were explained, being brushed off... The PAIN and discomfort I had been through and all the time, I thought it was part of growing old, the suddeness of it just surprised me.. I could not see myself working another year and I was scared to death. I had all but given up driving because of the near misses I was having when I drove and the problems finding places I had been before and knew where they were....

My doctor was not surprised to hear I had gotten off of them (July 2006) but he was quick to want to give me another one. I have done so much better since I got off of them but I wonder how much permanent damage was done in the 5 to 6 years I was on them. I have come to realize that the numbers are not as important as they claim, it is just a means for someone to line their pockets. I saw how poorly I did with low numbers and how much better I am doing with higher numbers. One size does NOT fit all! What good are low numbers if you can't remember how to do your job or how to find your way home or in so much pain you can't hardly walk...?
Cat Mom2

No more Simvastatin

Postby jh » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:38 am

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the information. A gradual withdrawal is a no-go; I went cold turkey a week past Friday so that was the end of the Simvistatin. I have an appointment with my Doc next week so will tell him then.
Just a quick rundown on my situation. I am 67 and have had hypertension, controlled by Amlodipine and Ramipril for ten years or so, and type two diabetes for five years or so controlled by diet initially, then by Simvastatin and Metformin. At my annual diabetes clinic last July the clinic Doc upped my Simvastatin from 10 to 40mg – clinic policy! I had fairly severe headaches during August but paracetamol fixed them and I did not worry too much about it. Loss of short-term memory got a bit worse but again no significance was read into that - old age doesn’t come itself!
The second week in January I began to get pains in my right wrist, then my left wrist, then the muscles around my left knee, arm muscles and shoulder muscles. Three weeks into January the pain in my right wrist was so bad I went to the A&E six o’clock one morning. The Doc thought it was tendon problems and prescribed Ibuprofen and come back in a week. One week later and no improvement in fact everything getting worse, an x-ray revealed nothing and gout was the next diagnosis.
My own Doc did a blood test for gout, the results were negative. I am now waiting to see the Consultant who deals with arthritis and I am on higher strength painkillers.
Now at this time, a friend of my wife, a nurse, says “Are you on statins”? Alarm bells, alarm bells – get on the Internet Jim!!
Shock horror - No more Simvastatin!!
So that’s me – wrists and leg still bad the other aches I can live with. I just hope I have not sustained any permanent muscle damage. I’ve started taking CoQ10 and L-Carnitine so hopefully things will get better from now but it looks as though it could take a few months.
Of course this might not be a statin problem, but there seems to be too many related factors for it to be anything else.
Can anyone else relate to these experiences?
Jimmie.
jh

Postby Biologist » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:21 am

"Of course this might not be a statin problem,
but there seems to be too many related
factors for it to be anything else. Can anyone
else relate to these experiences?"
--jh

Sure sounds like you're on the track to me. Good to hear about the nurse making the connection too.

Biologist
Biologist

Postby Cat Mom2 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:11 pm

I think we all can relate to what you went through. I am amazed at how little the doctors know about what this stuff does to us.. I saw 4 doctors about the odd swelling in my feet and 3 brushed me off... Only ONE sent me to have a ultra sound on my legs where it was discovered that I have 4 valves in my right leg that do not work right, causing my blood to backflow when pressure is applied. No explanaiton was given for that as to what caused it..... Now I wonder if that too, was caused by the statin. Most of my ailments have gone away since I quit but I still have that odd, painful swelling in my feet that tingles a lot.

I found a health screening done by my company that was done in Jan. 2006 and my total cholesterol then was in the 160 range, all levels were good and I was about 5 months into my upped to 40mg. dose of Lipitor and into my 4th month of noticable memory problems.. Now I know, I do NOT want my cholesterol levels EVER under 200 again.

I can't wait to see what your doctor says when you tell him you got off.. Make a written list of your side effects to hand him when he asks why you took yourself off of it.. I tried the verbal list and was cut off after I got to the third one... and I reminded mine that a lot of the symptoms were things I had complained to him about and was given other medicines for. Everybody else is profiting from these drugs, not just the company that makes them so they want to keep this hidden.

You doc will also be quick to want you to try another one, mine did and I told him I had enough of statins and will not take another one. He accepted that so fast it made me wonder........ It actually seemed to make him happier than I had ever seen him. (??????? :shock: )
Cat Mom2

Postby Ray Holder » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:58 pm

Hi Jimmie

Sorry to be so slow in replying, my computer has had problems, I have written a reply, only to see it disappear before my eyes, not good for my blood pressure !!! If ever you see a pop up saying you have lots of errors on your machine, ignore it. I joined up and have had problems with Winfixer for months, there's a website with as many people complaining as this site has, I hope I have seen the last of it today, fingers crossed,

I am sure you have statin problems, but your blood pressure was probably caused by Q10 reducing with age, and a statin pushed the Q10 level down further. The diabetes is probably another victim of reduced Q10, see my paper on www.spacedoc.net/r_holder.html , but watch your sugar levels when taking Q10 as they will probably improve and you may need less medication. Simvastatin only reduces the supply of insulin further still, I think the use of it in diabetes cases is a mistake, if your sugar level is not well under control, heart problems can occur, but not the sort of problem that statins can hope to help.

You may need to up your carnitine to cure the muscle pains, a CK test when you are having a blood test may reveal a high figure, indicating that muscle damage is still taking place. Carnitine is remarkably good for dealing with this, doctors were very surprised with the change in my CK figure.

Don't be put off by doctors saying "Statins don't do that", the truth is that almost anything can be affected by Q10 deficiency caused by statins.

Ray
Ray Holder

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs