Interesting new canadian report

A forum to discuss personal experiences and share information on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs.

Interesting new canadian report

Postby vipergg22 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:27 am

Something we have know all along , maybe it is finally starting to come out that these things are harmful.

Sharon Kirkey
CanWest News Service

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Healthy women should not be put on a cholesterol-lowering drug to prevent heart disease, suggests a new analysis that raises questions about widespread over-prescription of the fastest growing drug class in Canada.

Millions of Canadians take cholesterol reducers, called statins, to lower their risk of heart attacks and cardiovascular disease. For people who already have artery disease, statins save lives.

[http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=12819fa1-26c8-47a4-b21e-b15c60383453&p=2]
This is from the National Post in Canada, one of the national newspapers.
It sets down what I have been saying, there should be a vastly reduced consumption of statins.
vipergg22

Postby Biologist » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:38 am

Note obligatory disclaimer by "Dr. Fodor" but without the obligatory disclosure of his affiliations with drug money:

"But Dr. George Fodor, one of the authors of the Canadian
cholesterol-lowering guidelines, said a study published last
year involving 8,000 people found giving statins to low-risk
men significantly reduced their risk of cardiovascular
disease, and that there was a "trend" toward improvement
for women."

Biologist
Biologist

Postby adec » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:49 pm

I was going to post this article too. Great job vipergg22. Seems the Canadian medical community is very slowly changing their views regarding statins, and recognizing the dangers. In fact, very recently Health Canada demanded warning labels be put on all statin drugs relating to their depletion of CoQ10. This is a very positive trend that we can only hope continues.
adec

Postby Cat Mom2 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:32 am

"As well, doctors are seeing more cases of statin-induced peripheral neuropathy, where the long nerves in the body die off, causing numbness and pain in the feet."

SO! This is what is wrong with my feet? That odd lumpy swelling? The pain and tingeling, itching? Grrrrr! And NO doctor was interested in finding out the cause of it! 8 months off of statin and it is still there, hurting/itching/tingeling and swollen in lumps!!! Grrrrrr! :evil:
Cat Mom2

Postby Biologist » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:54 am

Cat Mom2,

Here is some info for you:

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallerian_degeneration]

Another poster commented that surgery actually fixed her husband's problems in one hand, and that the other hand was scheduled for similar work. However, in the meantime, the supplement "treatments" often cited on this website fixed the other hand such that hand's surgery was called off. You can probably find that post. I would have to look myself.

So, this may mean that your symptoms could improve via supplementation, or worst case, that there could be surgical options.

I'm sure no expert on this stuff, but it is my understanding that "Itching" is sometimes a sign of nerve regeneration.

Biologist
Biologist

statins

Postby vipergg22 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:51 pm

Welcome to the club , i have permanent peripheral neuropathy in both feet thanks to lipitor and zocor . Will never touch those again . It's kept me awake the last 3 nights.
vipergg22

Postby catspajamas » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:48 pm

I felt like I was walking on a balled up sock...I had a neuroma which had to be removed after I got off zocor...I, too..have perif. Neurapathy in both my feet...The only thing that controls the pain is Lyrica which is very expensive...$200. for a months supply....I feel statins damaged my entire nervous system...it has been 5 years since I went off of statins all together and I am still struggling.....
catspajamas

pn

Postby vipergg22 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:39 pm

[quote="Cat Mom2"]"As well, doctors are seeing more cases of statin-induced peripheral neuropathy, where the long nerves in the body die off, causing numbness and pain in the feet."

SO! This is what is wrong with my feet? That odd lumpy swelling? The pain and tingeling, itching? Grrrrr! And NO doctor was interested in finding out the cause of it! 8 months off of statin and it is still there, hurting/itching/tingeling and swollen in lumps!!! Grrrrrr! :evil:[/quote]

If you have peripheral neuropathy you might want to try getting benfotiamine , it certainly helps with the symptoms of my severe case in both feet . I would take 600mgs a day , they come in 150 mg capsules .
vipergg22

Return to Statins and other Cholesterol Reducing Drugs